HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerF View Post
I would expect the bypass to be open to #6 South by this upcoming fall. The first bridge seems complete other than they seemed to run out of warm weather to pave the actual bridge itself. The second bridge should easily be done by fall and they have gravel stock piled to do a lot of paving in the area once weather allows them to.
Yea I believe the plan is to have the one Bridge open at the end of April so that they can finish the remainder of the interchange and bypass lanes.

I am sincerely hoping that by October this year they will have diverted truck traffic off Victoria. As I expect the only non completed movement of the Pinky Road interchange will be the NB to WB ramp. That would mean if they did happen to be able to open the Bypass from Highway 33 to the Hub Acess road in 2018 the trucks would have to do either:

1) Get off at highway 6 go north to ring road and go west there or,
2) Go past Trans Canada highway to Hill Avenue and double back.

Both of those movements would be easier and faster than Victoria Ave I expect, with the majority of trucks opting for option 1.

That is my hopeful opinion of how the construction goes this year, and from the looks of things highly achieveable assuming weather stays as it has.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 7:15 PM

Well after officially driving the DDI few notes:

1) Snow plowing should have been done before they opened it. Some really big banks.
2) Very intuitive, very easy.
3) Traffic lights can be hard to see in a car. Recommend adding additional pole mounted lights.
4) lots of work left to do. Guard rails, second lift of paving bridge approach roads and ramps.

**Edit** Advance lane signage would also be good. So you know what lanes does what.

Other than that nice that it's open!

Great design!

Last edited by North_Regina_Boy; Mar 9, 2018 at 9:10 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 2:13 PM

The second last of the bridge girder structures on the project started yesterday. After which the last bridge at pinky road and trans Canada over the east bound lanes will finish off 8 total bridges in that interchange alone.

Good job Bypass Team

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
The second last of the bridge girder structures on the project started yesterday. After which the last bridge at pinky road and trans Canada over the east bound lanes will finish off 8 total bridges in that interchange alone.

Good job Bypass Team
They are really rocking the project now. Saw the girders awaiting placement over Wascana Creek West. I think that is the last bridge that doesn't have girders placed on the supports.

Will they have the entire project done by Christmas of 2018?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
They are really rocking the project now. Saw the girders awaiting placement over Wascana Creek West. I think that is the last bridge that doesn't have girders placed on the supports.

Will they have the entire project done by Christmas of 2018?
Indeed the girders are being placed over wascana creek. However, as they are started I left them off my list.

I would also be hesitant to say if they would be complete by Christmas 2018, as so much depends on weather. But I would say the south and west to the GTH may be achievable. Most bridges north of the TCH to Dewdney ave are newring 70-90% complete as of now.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 7:00 PM

So when you are coming north on the pilot butte overpass you can turn left to merge onto the #1 but there is a stop light there. Does one have to stop there or is that for the people merging back into the rh lane

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sastaunik44 View Post
So when you are coming north on the pilot butte overpass you can turn left to merge onto the #1 but there is a stop light there. Does one have to stop there or is that for the people merging back into the rh lane
You would only potentially stop at the first light (if it is red) on the south side of the overpass. Left hand turns are free flow. That is the beauty of it.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 3:42 PM

Last time I was on Pinkie I noticed that the overpass of the CN tracks had a centre pier which allowed an empty space to the south. I there to be a future road put in or another set of tracks? Would anyone know?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Last time I was on Pinkie I noticed that the overpass of the CN tracks had a centre pier which allowed an empty space to the south. I there to be a future road put in or another set of tracks? Would anyone know?
I am aware that the Ministry of Highways asked that there be no bottlenecks created for any future rail bypass.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I am aware that the Ministry of Highways asked that there be no bottlenecks created for any future rail bypass.
That makes sense. Thanks

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 9:49 PM

Speed limit is now 110 all the way from Balgonie to Victoria Ave and bypass south split. Bypass then goes to 80. Anyone know why they have such a low speed for that section that hardly has anyone on it anyways?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
Speed limit is now 110 all the way from Balgonie to Victoria Ave and bypass south split. Bypass then goes to 80. Anyone know why they have such a low speed for that section that hardly has anyone on it anyways?
It is totally ridiculous. Safest, widest, smoothest, best lined stretch in SK. I passed a Regina Bypass truck there the other day. I was going about 40kmph faster than him on principle.

The only thing that makes me angrier is the lack of a merge lane onto Arcola/33.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 2:38 PM

I'm assuming the 80 speed limit is temporary, and that the final limit will be 110?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
I'm assuming the 80 speed limit is temporary, and that the final limit will be 110?
Yes the final speed limit will be 110. And is the speed I go until I get to the construction again on Arcola. I do find it odd that they didn't install lighting on that curve and under the bridges. Seems rather dark in that spot. So maybe it is still 80 as there is unfinished work. Similar to how it is 80 at Pilot Butte interchange.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Yes the final speed limit will be 110. And is the speed I go until I get to the construction again on Arcola. I do find it odd that they didn't install lighting on that curve and under the bridges. Seems rather dark in that spot. So maybe it is still 80 as there is unfinished work. Similar to how it is 80 at Pilot Butte interchange.
I did not notice the 80 at PB on Sunday? Has that not been changed to 110? Hopefully I don't have a ticket coming in the mail.

The entire Bypass is to be 110 from the MB border to Moose Jaw.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I did not notice the 80 at PB on Sunday? Has that not been changed to 110? Hopefully I don't have a ticket coming in the mail.

The entire Bypass is to be 110 from the MB border to Moose Jaw.
I know going eastbound at PB on Monday evening it was 80 still. They still have the following to finish at the PB overpass:

- Slope Grading
- Drainage Rip Rap
- More Overead signage.
- Painting of bridge
- install of permanent guard rails
- second lift of pavement on the ramps and on the bridge
- bridge drainage pipes and scuppers
- minor cosmetic updates.

So while "open" it is far from finished.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 4:32 PM

Quote:
I know going eastbound at PB on Monday evening it was 80 still. They still have the following to finish at the PB overpass:

- Slope Grading
- Drainage Rip Rap
- More Overead signage.
- Painting of bridge
- install of permanent guard rails
- second lift of pavement on the ramps and on the bridge
- bridge drainage pipes and scuppers
- minor cosmetic updates.

So while "open" it is far from finished.
Eastbound, 80 at Pilot Butte, westbound, 110 through Pilot Butte.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 4:43 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Out of curiosity, once the bypass is fully completed, how will the highways (Ring Road especially) be renumbered? xD

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Out of curiosity, once the bypass is fully completed, how will the highways (Ring Road especially) be renumbered? xD
I fully expect that The Ring Road section of the TCH will be renamed TCH 1A.

What I find more interesting is that the NW part of Ring Road (9th Ave North) Pasqua St to Pinky Rd, will now be the completion of the "Ring" when the West Bypass opens. I hope the city has recognized that traffic volumes on that stretch will increase somewhat dramatically. The 50,000+ VPD will increase as people in the North use it to get to TCH Westbound as oppose to using Lewvan or the Ring Road east to bypass rail tracks.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 5:51 PM

Quote:
I fully expect that The Ring Road section of the TCH will be renamed TCH 1A.

What I find more interesting is that the NW part of Ring Road (9th Ave North) Pasqua St to Pinky Rd, will now be the completion of the "Ring" when the West Bypass opens. I hope the city has recognized that traffic volumes on that stretch will increase somewhat dramatically. The 50,000+ VPD will increase as people in the North use it to get to TCH Westbound as oppose to using Lewvan or the Ring Road east to bypass rail tracks.
It will also be used to get to Highway 11 N. instead of using Pasqua.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan