HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 9:32 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by softee View Post
Where is that accent from? It's really nice. Perhaps it's just her voice I like if it's a common one?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 9:35 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
I live in Edmonton, so I don't really have an opportunity to use AC. They don't fly non-stop to anywhere I typically go, so I go out of my way to use their competition. When I have used AC (using points only), I've had decent enough service. Historically, WestJet has been better than AC but, WS has lost a step in recent years and I now find there's not much difference between the two.
WestJet has definitely declined, yes... but they're still doing better.

Longest delay I ever had with them was very close to Christmas, a flight with some connected (TO or MTL) between Winnipeg and St. John's.

We were delayed for only about 15 minutes when they announced that we would waiting on the tarmac for, I think it was an hour longer, because there was a delayed flight coming in from Alberta with a bunch of Newfoundlanders who they would not be able to get home unless they caught this flight waited. So no one cared at all, the mood was lovely.

Air Canada, they'd have told you nothing, if they'd even delay at all under those circumstances.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 9:38 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Air Canada, they'd have told you nothing, if they'd even delay at all under those circumstances.
That's not been my experience at all. I've had Air Canada delay for a connecting flight, and they've always explained any delays.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 9:38 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Where is that accent from? It's really nice. Perhaps it's just her voice I like if it's a common one?
Born and raised in Scarborough.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 9:39 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I really like that one. Nice!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 10:17 PM
Closed account

Count me in with the group who doesn't get the AC disdain.

Actually, to be fair, I've not had much trouble with any of the airlines I've flown with in recent memory, including AC, Westjet and American. Maybe that's the advantage of not flying very often - it still has novelty to it.

The last time I flew AC was a roundtrip from Toronto to Copenhagen and I thought it was a fine trip. The flights were on time, the in-flight meal was decent and the IFE was great. They were even pretty generous with the beer on the return flight.

I'm aware that their North American product is less prestigious than their international product, but for a flight that is typically less than 5 hours, meals are overkill. The market has shifted to cheaper fares (with fees for add ons) and less service - you can always pay for the "premium" package if you want.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 10:18 PM
sick transit, gloria

I'll echo some of the comments that AC probably isn't the best, but it's decent. I fly a decent amount and never really had any big issues, although I know people who have. I have had MAJOR issues with Delta and United and generally a much lower quality of service for domestic flights. Slightly worse experience with Westjet as well, but not appreciably. They generally have less desirable flight times and higher ticket prices to Calgary when I book at Christmas so have flown with AC the last few years.

The major Canadian airports are all pretty good too which helps. I am not a fan of any of the New York airports, but the worst I have ever travelled to would have to be Jeddah (why did I think that connection was a good idea?). Close second would be Adis Ababa.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 10:32 PM

My gripe with Air Canada is the same as most airlines nowadays. That is the charging for basic things like checking a suitcase, choosing a seat and the inevitable fight for overhead locker space because the gate agents won't restrict passengers from carrying on two roller cases, a back pack, a plastic bag full of snacks and enough coats to make you sweat at the North Pole each.

As for poor customer service, try KLM. The dragons on board their planes are brutal. And even worse at the Business lounge in Schiphol. Even as a Gold FF travelling Business class they were looking for ways not to let me into the lounge before my connecting flight. And don't even bother trying to get compensation from them if they do something that would generally warrant it, they will do the utmost to ensure you get nothing from them.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 11:08 PM
恭喜发财!

I primarily use AC to fly back and forth between Canada and China. I've never had any issues with them. Their international economy seats, service, and food are not any worse than any other airline I've flown on (including top-ranked airlines such as Qatar, Cathay, and Garuda).

Domestically, they're probably not great, but neither are domestic flights elsewhere. I'd still take AC domestic service over any Chinese airline's domestic service .

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 11:12 PM

Can't say I've ever really had "terrible service" from Air Canada. Only time my bags have ever not arrived where they needed to, when they needed to, I was flying Westjet to Victoria (my bags ended up in Abbotsford, and I picked them up the next morning at the airport).

I guess the closest thing to an issue with Air Canada was a pilot not showing up for my Toronto-Ottawa flight a few years back, and having it delayed for about four hours. That wasn't great, but didn't ruin my life.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Yes, by booking your reward flight on United Airlines... which you can also do with Aeroplan.
So...what's the point of aeroplan again?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 11:55 PM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by [I beg once again: change that horrible image - pleaaaase.
;7525847]Perhaps some of you travel regularly. If you do, have you ever asked yourself why Air Canada's service is so terrible? I am not speaking . . .

When airline service is this bad, it’s hardly worth complaining

American carriers are often as bad in their race to the bottom for service quality.
Once again, you and I live different worlds. You need some voodoo to get that curse lifted. Have never had any experiences like yours with AC employees. Maybe they see you coming, because I always get a smile and a good effort to make the flight pleasant. That said I am not and AC fan, they are a B+ at best . . they could do better. Generally, I am guessing about 25 flights, all but one were without problem. One was delayed 2 hours for a frozen (open) cargo door in Winnipeg. To me AC, purely from the perspective of the actual flight experience, is not much different than BA, Lufthansa, KLM, Aer Lingus; better than AlItalia, just bit worse than Swiss Air, Air France, Virgin. Obviously there is a class of world airlines that excel beyond all of these.

I simply approach with a smile, am firm, respectful and I always get the same back, especially the smile and a willingness to solve any issues with a smile.
Its truly odd that we have a group with good and a group with bad experiences.

I will agree that American Carriers are mostly horrible right the way through. I was once trapped in mid summer heat for 4 hours on American Airlines at O'Hare - snacks to appease the passengers, dry bread.

I must grant though, I have (at least for a long time) little experience with interfacing with any airline, in terms of booking, making changes, etc..

Regardless: things like overbooking is criminal (it's their problem to figure out how to get the load factors they want - literally dumping the issue on your customers is ridiculous; also charging for basics (not that I have experienced that either).

[MolsenExport - I am willing to beg: change that horrible image - pleaaaase.]

Last edited by Marshal; Aug 10, 2016 at 12:33 AM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 12:09 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrard View Post
So...what's the point of aeroplan again?
You can book United With Aeroplan because United, like Air Canada, is a Star Alliance carrier.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
You can book United With Aeroplan because United, like Air Canada, is a Star Alliance carrier.
You can't always. Availability isn't always the same. And again, 200 vs. 50 bucks. So why use aeroplan unless most of your travel is domestic. Not to mention trying to speak to an agent, which is much easier with mileageplus. Trust me I switched and will never go back. Air Canada doesn't "need" to be better because it's basically the only game in town. And serivice in general is worlds apart when you compare Canada with the U.S. But being Canada we just kind of accept the "less than" rather than demanding better or more.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
I live in Edmonton, so I don't really have an opportunity to use AC. They don't fly non-stop to anywhere I typically go, so I go out of my way to use their competition. When I have used AC (using points only), I've had decent enough service. Historically, WestJet has been better than AC but, WS has lost a step in recent years and I now find there's not much difference between the two.
Yeah, living in Edmonton makes it very easy to avoid Air Canada. Shame because it is a large, growing and fairly untapped market. They seem to only really care about Vancouver and sort of Calgary in Western Canada.

I've actually been thinking of deliberately flying AC soon just to see if they're as rude as they were years ago when I used them to fly Calgary-Portland. It sounds like they're just as shitty, though.

Not surprised they're better with international flights, though.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 1:19 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrard View Post
You can't always. Availability isn't always the same. And again, 200 vs. 50 bucks. So why use aeroplan unless most of your travel is domestic. Not to mention trying to speak to an agent, which is much easier with mileageplus. Trust me I switched and will never go back. Air Canada doesn't "need" to be better because it's basically the only game in town. And serivice in general is worlds apart when you compare Canada with the U.S. But being Canada we just kind of accept the "less than" rather than demanding better or more.
My worst flight by far was on American, followed closely by Delta. Air Canada has always been an enjoyable experience.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 1:20 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Yeah, living in Edmonton makes it very easy to avoid Air Canada. Shame because it is a large, growing and fairly untapped market. They seem to only really care about Vancouver and sort of Calgary in Western Canada.
It's not that they only care about those places - those are their hubs in western Canada. Air Canada is very hub and spoke. Edmonton, just like Winnipeg, is simply a spoke.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 1:24 AM

No one in my family has given Air Canada a penny since they lost my dad's luggage in the late 1990s and basically refused to pay for it.

Last time I flew was with JetBlue, nothing to complain about (esp. considering the low price).

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 1:25 AM

They simply expect us to funnel through Calgary. Nothing wrong with Calgary, but the 30min flight is very redundant and I will avoid it where I can. We aren't a hub for Westjet either and yet we get the bulk of our domestic flights from them and they're incredibly popular here. The only people who usually fly AC here is if they have an int'l flight, usually overseas and with a Van/Tor connection.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 1:28 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
We aren't a hub for Westjet either and yet we get the bulk of our domestic flights from them and they're incredibly popular here. The only people who usually fly AC here is if they have an int'l flight, usually overseas and with a Van/Tor connection.
Westjet doesn't stick to the hub and spoke model the same way that Air Canada does. Winnipeg is another place that has far more destinations with Westjet than with Air Canada.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada