HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Golf? Maybe they should add Poker as a competition sport. Or Pokemon Go. How about the Great Olympic Quilting Bee?

Christ, the Olympics have become so bloated.

Even with all that bloat, we seem to be sucking on the medal count.
you seem like a fun guy

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 2:19 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
The women's soccer and rugby teams seem to do quite well. It really is a shame that the men can't seem to compete at an equal footing as all the other Olympic contenders. I'm quite baffled by the men's inability to perform at top tier levels while the women seemingly excel year upon year.
pretty easily explained.

Our best male athletes gravitate towards hockey. If your incredibly gifted as an athlete and you have the parents and support system to compete at a high level at a young age your going to likely play hockey.....not some sport that is on TV for 3 hours every 4 years. Woman don't face that dilemma because there is no golden ticket equivalent to playing in the NHL.

Our development program is likely far more politically correct than many other nations. With limited funds and support available woman in this country likely get a bigger piece of the pie relative to their counterparts in other countries. Puts them at an advantage compared to men when competing on the global stage.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 2:48 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
pretty easily explained.

Our best male athletes gravitate towards hockey. If your incredibly gifted as an athlete and you have the parents and support system to compete at a high level at a young age your going to likely play hockey.....not some sport that is on TV for 3 hours every 4 years. Woman don't face that dilemma because there is no golden ticket equivalent to playing in the NHL.

Our development program is likely far more politically correct than many other nations. With limited funds and support available woman in this country likely get a bigger piece of the pie relative to their counterparts in other countries. Puts them at an advantage compared to men when competing on the global stage.
I don't agree with that. Maybe when I was a kid. Competitive hockey in Toronto is a sport for the upper middle class and above. The nutritional supplements and pro quality equipment is incredibly expensive. My buddy's son broke 2 sticks in one game which set him back close to $600.

We are one of the most progressive countries when it comes to the treatment of women as equals and that's reflected in women team sports. Many of these sports are new to the Olympics compared to mens so there are few countries like Canada or the US that would have put any money into development before becoming a full medal unless it was a national sport.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I don't agree with that. Maybe when I was a kid. Competitive hockey in Toronto is a sport for the upper middle class and above. The nutritional supplements and pro quality equipment is incredibly expensive. My buddy's son broke 2 sticks in one game which set him back close to $600.
Actually, I'd say shofear is right. Hockey is still the number 2 sport when it comes to youth participation, well behind soccer. But if you look at how many Canadians are becoming pros in either sport, it's pretty clear that there are far more elite youth athletes playing hockey.

Soccer rules when it comes to the number of 7 year olds kicking the ball around for fun on a summer day. But if you're 14 and have serious dreams of becoming a pro athlete, chances are you're probably playing hockey.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 4:05 PM
DRINK

/\ Bingo.

serious dreams, and perhaps just as important, a family that is able to financially support a young elite athlete reach their potential.

Once you filter out the huge majority that play hockey, and a handful playing Basketball/Baseball/Football, it doesn't leave much of a pool for athletes in Olympic sports that don't provide the big paycheck.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 4:33 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
you seem like a fun guy
many on this forum would concur. but thanks for disagreeing!
watching golf is like watching paint dry. so what's up with the sarcasm?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 2:58 AM

Gold for Penny!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Totally agree. Golf is a past time not a sport. I just can't get excited about it.

When I think of people who play golf a lot, this article comes to mind.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/patio-...e/article/2818

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 2:16 PM

Quote:
many on this forum would concur. but thanks for disagreeing!
That's your opinion - one that I don't agree with.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 3:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Totally agree. Golf is a past time not a sport. I just can't get excited about it.

When I think of people who play golf a lot, this article comes to mind.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/patio-...e/article/2818
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post
Gold for Penny!
Yes! I watched the race, what a great race for her! Not only did she get Canada's first gold this year, but also broke an Olympic record, and broke the Canadian record for most medals in one Olympic Games...not to mention being only sixteen!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 4:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Now we know who's going to carry the flag at the closing ceremonies.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Golf? Maybe they should add Poker as a competition sport. Or Pokemon Go. How about the Great Olympic Quilting Bee?

Christ, the Olympics have become so bloated.

Even with all that bloat, we seem to be sucking on the medal count.
11th in the world is sucking?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
11th in the world is sucking?
How could we be 11th with only one gold? Oh right, that method of ranking countries where a bronze is counted as the equivalent of a gold...

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
That's your opinion - one that I don't agree with.
Winston S. Churchill
“Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into an ever smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose”

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
How could we be 11th with only one gold? Oh right, that method of ranking countries where a bronze is counted as the equivalent of a gold...
And sports where a single competitor can get multiple medals are equal to sports where a whole team gets just one.

And medals for shooting an air rifle or sitting upright one a jumping horse count as much as medals for running 26miles or winning multiple multi-hour games, like tennis or soccer.

Point is, it's all arbitrary and it doesn't matter, so there's no reason to bash one arbitrary count in favour of another.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 7:29 PM

Gold again for Rosie in the trampoline

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 7:33 PM

Wow, great for Rosie!

Can't watch on tv, but is this the first time a Canadian defended their gold in a Summer Games? Catriona LeMay Doan did that in the Winter Games.

Also, Rosie further stepped on all that Opening Ceremony Flagbearer curse nonsense.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 8:23 PM

The only way I can see someone other than Penny carrying the flag in the closing ceremony is if they win multiple golds (Andre de Grasse?) and she doesn't win any more medals.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 8:33 PM

Brianne Theisen-Eaton from Humboldt, Saskatchewan is in 5th place after 2 of the 7 events in the Heptathlon. She was 15th at this point in last year's World Championships which she silver medalled in. Her next events are her best.

Video Link

Brianne has been in more commercial advertisements than any other Canadian athlete that I've seen during these Olympics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNnXjbMX5tU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keE1xE9MyHY

Her husband, 2012 Olympics Gold metallist from USA Ashton Eaton is in a lot of ads with her as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3TzGyTYd_Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9A4WsZE4Gc

Here's also cute clip from FOX NYC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_xHsInetCo

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada