HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSPC View Post
"Under his watch, CBC lost the rights to FIFA World Cup soccer which it was seeking to renew, and failed to win back the CFL rights it had lost following the broadcasting of its final Grey Cup in 2007.[4]

Orridge was also principally responsible for the management of the National Hockey League's relationship with CBC, a broadcasting contract that CBC lost in November 2013 under Orridge's watch after the 2013-14 NHL season.[5] CBC's hope had been that Orridge's long-time relationship with Gary Bettman would help CBC secure a renewal of the NHL broadcast rights due to the fact that Orridge and Bettman knew each other from their basketball management days in the early 1990's. CBC had held the rights to NHL broadcasts in Canada for 62 years prior to Orridge's handling of the file."
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Orridge

That's troubling.
CBC does not have the money that Rogers does, so that is unfair to pin it on Orridge, but he does need to step up this year and be the figurehead the CFL needs

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 3:18 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
These things...ugh
They aren't my favourite but I can't say that I dislike them either.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 3:39 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSPC View Post
"Under his watch, CBC lost the rights to FIFA World Cup soccer which it was seeking to renew, and failed to win back the CFL rights it had lost following the broadcasting of its final Grey Cup in 2007.[4]

Orridge was also principally responsible for the management of the National Hockey League's relationship with CBC, a broadcasting contract that CBC lost in November 2013 under Orridge's watch after the 2013-14 NHL season.[5] CBC's hope had been that Orridge's long-time relationship with Gary Bettman would help CBC secure a renewal of the NHL broadcast rights due to the fact that Orridge and Bettman knew each other from their basketball management days in the early 1990's. CBC had held the rights to NHL broadcasts in Canada for 62 years prior to Orridge's handling of the file."
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Orridge

That's troubling.
Not really to me. I believe anyone, unless they had pockets lined with gold and were willing to pay the contract themselves, would have lost the NHL contract for the CBC. The money was just too much for the CBC to do even though it was one of their bread-winner programs.

Bettman had little say in that decision either. That would be a dollars and potential growth decision. Canadian governments have pretty much guaranteed there is no growth in the CBC so it would have been dollars only on their bid. I doubt CBCs pockets were deeper than any of the other bidders.

I'll give Orridge the benefit of the doubt here, but the CFL lost a lot when Cohon stepped down.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 3:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I think the writing was on the wall that the CBC would lose HNIC one day when the French CBC lost La Soirée du hockey several years before (early 2000s?)

The French CBC in the francophone media sphere is actually a richer and bigger player relatively speaking than the English CBC is in the anglo media sphere.

If they couldn't hold onto the NHL, the English CBC certainly wasn't going to be able to to either.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 7:02 PM

I have to admit there are some cool posts (more that just signings etc.) on the re-branded CFL site. I do find myself coming back daily, such as

8 great debuts in 2015
5 potential MOP candidates for 2016
Top 10 WTF moments in 2015 - you know the Jack Rabbit is there
Top 10s etc.

I like it!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
I have to admit there are some cool posts (more that just signings etc.) on the re-branded CFL site. I do find myself coming back daily, such as

8 great debuts in 2015
5 potential MOP candidates for 2016
Top 10 WTF moments in 2015 - you know the Jack Rabbit is there
Top 10s etc.

I like it!
You might like this, then:

http://www.thesnap.ca/

It's a little quiet during the off season but they keep 'em coming fast and furious when the league is playing.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 4:49 AM

With regards to the new Adidas jerseys, I have a feeling that they aren't going to change drastically. But if they do, I have a feeling that the changes may not be to the liking of many of you on here as they are trying to reach out to younger audiences and may sway from traditional patterns. As a 30 year old I don't mind a more modern look as long as the jerseys stay clean looking (I disliked all of the Reebok 3rd jerseys except for BC and I liked elements of Hamilton's and Edmonton's as well as the helmets for Calgary and Montreal).

The new website is 10 times better than the previous one and they are only going to come out with more content as we move forward.

One month until free agency and signings are starting to heat up. Ottawa had a productive week but I will be interested to see if they try to bring in Trevor Harris as a potential replacement for Hank. They didn't appear to have any faith in O'Brien and even less in DeMarco.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 6:27 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
Can we at least agree that the Stamps digital clock numbers have to go? Those things are an eyesore. Even my son agrees with that one (he likes the Rider whites too BTW).
I don't mind some black in the Stamps uniforms but I totaly agree the digital clock numbers have to go.
I'm also with ya on ditching the all-white Sask & Ottawa road unis.
I personally love the classic 1970's CFL unis but doesn't sound like that is where Adidas will be heading.

Last edited by craner; Jan 15, 2016 at 6:23 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 2:27 PM
arf

The only team that should be wearing black in any manner are the Red-Blacks. End of story. Calgary's black has looked terrible in all its incarnations.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Calgary's black has looked terrible in all its incarnations.
I totally agree.

Nothing wrong with black outlines on the numbering and logo, but Calgary's jerseys look the best when they are predominantly red and white.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 5:19 PM

^ The Stamps need to go back to this look. Red and white with a tiny bit of silver and black.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 7:57 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

^Sorry, never liked the grey in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
The only team that should be wearing black in any manner are the Red-Blacks. End of story. Calgary's black has looked terrible in all its incarnations.
... in your opinion.

The Ti-cats & Lions have black also.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 8:15 PM
arf

^I Totally forgot about those two. BC not so much, but Hamilton can have black.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 8:23 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
I personally love the classic 1970's CFL unis but doesn't sound like that is where Adidas will be heading.
Just like with faux-historicism in architecture, we need to keep moving forward with uniform design rather than mimicking the past. There are going to be some pretty spectacular failures but that's the price of progress.

In regards to the Stamps wearing black, I think it is a nice addition and is most likely the way we'll be going forward. It shouldn't be surprising that after the Stamps added black, the Flames followed suit in 2004.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 9:17 PM

Cats resigned Masoli to a two year deal. I don't mind it after his play in the East final in 2015. Plus who know when Collaros will be back.

http://www.900chml.com/2016/01/06/57287/

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 12:15 AM

The Riders signed up Price.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
The Riders signed up Price.
Traded for him but yes, he's a Rider now.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 5:22 PM

Henry Burris was live on Ottawa radio when the Price trade was announced. They had to go to commercial break to allow Henry to respond in a reasonable manner. A somewhat awkward moment but kudos to the host for allowing him to compose himself.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 9:21 PM

Holy Crap!

Riders release John Chick and Weston Dressler....Chris Jones putting his mark on this team

But good news as the Lions signed Jovan Olafioye though 2018

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 9:40 PM
arf

Yep, shock is the feeling around the Rider fans right now.

Chick is such a huge personality in the community which makes that part a little more shocking to me. Dressler had a disappointing year, but that was probably due to Durant being out. Whiich makes one believe that Durant may not be around for this season either, but Chris is probably weighing his options given how weak the depth at QB is right now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada