HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok View Post
awww - so cute, you are being openly insecure. There there, here is a hug from the Canadian forumers. *Hugs*
I'm from Toronto, and my opinion is no bias, you are clearly responding with emotion and not with reason, good day.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 11:48 PM

I'm sure he's being sarcastic. This is just a fun discussion it has nothing to do with insecurities. Ppl in London and New York compare their cities to other cities. It's just for fun. No need fo ppl to get all uptight

I've never been to Chicago but just from pictures it looks bigger than toronto. Probably due to the handful of ridiculously large/tall office towers so based on that to hasn't caught up to Chicago.

I don't know what the population in Chicago is although clearly that's not everything since toronto looks bigger than la lol

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 9:30 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
//are you referring to the Shard, or to the city centre in general, its building styles and designs? But, hey, that is a remarkable and amazing city// thanks for your time
I was referring to London's ability to re-invent its economy and maintain its position as one of the world's principal economic hubs. London has been a very prominent city for almost 200 years now. In 1970s it looked like London's best days were behind it, then a rebirth occurred.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 1:33 PM

There's many good things about Chicago, but the crime rate is not one of them.
Already 100 murders this year, and February is not over yet.
(compared to 8 in Toronto, 4 in Ottawa)
http://crime.chicagotribune.com/chicago/homicides
http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/statistics/ytd_stats.php

Old Posted Apr 17, 2016, 12:23 PM
Love skyscrapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
I'm sure he's being sarcastic. This is just a fun discussion it has nothing to do with insecurities. Ppl in London and New York compare their cities to other cities. It's just for fun. No need fo ppl to get all uptight

I've never been to Chicago but just from pictures it looks bigger than toronto. Probably due to the handful of ridiculously large/tall office towers so based on that to hasn't caught up to Chicago.

I don't know what the population in Chicago is although clearly that's not everything since toronto looks bigger than la lol
Toronto is way bigger in area then Chicago not population though Chicago in land mass is about the size of Edmonton it's a very condensed city. As Far as LA I am not sure if you're talking about downtown skylines but Toronto clearly dominates LA in this area but as far as land masses in metro area you could fit 4 Toronto metro areas in La and still have room.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2016, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyisnolimit View Post
Toronto is way bigger in area then Chicago not population though Chicago in land mass is about the size of Edmonton it's a very condensed city. As Far as LA I am not sure if you're talking about downtown skylines but Toronto clearly dominates LA in this area but as far as land masses in metro area you could fit 4 Toronto metro areas in La and still have room.
Not sure what your talking about Chicago is easily as big as Toronto if not bigger. Chicago is more populated, more urban, as big land mass wise, and just feels bigger because it is bigger.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2016, 5:06 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Chicago IS bigger... both in size and (metro) population. Skyscraper-wise Toronto is slowly catching up.

2006: Towers over 150 metres
Chicago - 93
Toronto - 14

2016: Towers over 150 metres
Chicago - 124
Toronto - 71

In the last 10 years Chicago has built 31 towers over 150 metres, while Toronto has built 57. Let's see how the next 10 years go...

Old Posted Apr 17, 2016, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
Chicago IS bigger... both in size and (metro) population. Skyscraper-wise Toronto is slowly catching up.

2006: Towers over 150 metres
Chicago - 93
Toronto - 14

2016: Towers over 150 metres
Chicago - 124
Toronto - 71

In the last 10 years Chicago has built 31 towers over 150 metres, while Toronto has built 57. Let's see how the next 10 years go...
The skyscraper part may be true one day I know Toronto is building like crazy, but still going to be some time. Chicago is too going thru a boom and has over 45 high-rises under construction in the downtown area alone. With dozens more in the pipeline and with some good height so.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2016, 6:02 PM
Love skyscrapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by go go white sox View Post
Not sure what your talking about Chicago is easily as big as Toronto if not bigger. Chicago is more populated, more urban, as big land mass wise, and just feels bigger because it is bigger.
City proper not metro land area
Chicago 227.3sq miles
Toronto 243.7 sq miles
Edmonton264 sq miles

Old Posted Apr 17, 2016, 6:29 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Whatever... Metro stats need to be used to compare cities, otherwise it's like comparing apples to oranges. The "City of London", England, has a population of only 7500 or so on just 2.9 square km, but of course it's metro population is well over 10 million.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2016, 7:05 PM
Love skyscrapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
Whatever... Metro stats need to be used to compare cities, otherwise it's like comparing apples to oranges. The "City of London", England, has a population of only 7500 or so on just 2.9 square km, but of course it's metro population is well over 10 million.
Ok here are metro land masses

Toronto 2280 sq miles
Chicago 2122 sq miles
Edmonton3369 sq miles All I responded to was land area where my original post stated Toronto was bigger in area then Chicago but not population
In those city proper Toronto has 2.2 million in that area Chicago 2.4 million Edmonton on has 870 k why i explained chicago was very dense in population

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 6:05 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey563 View Post
Toronto will never be Chicago of Canada at all, everything between 2 cities are much different. Chicago is much older city than Toronto. I rather choose Toronto over Chicago for many different reasons.

Chicago was incorporated as a town in 1833 and Toronto changed from York to Toronto in 1834. Both were initially settled circa 1790. Population growth is a different matter. By the 1860s Chicago had double the population of Toronto at 120,000.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 6:26 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Agree with most of this but Chicago is definitely NOT more urban. Chicago is more populated, has a busier regional rail network (Metra vs GO), the busier airport, and the larger skyline (for now) but those are some of the few areas where Chicago is still ahead.

By a large (and growing) number of metrics Toronto has already moved ahead of Chicago. Toronto is far more ethnically diverse, is one of the world's biggest immigrant magnets, feels more cosmopolitan, has higher population density in the core and overall, attracts more foreign direct investment, has a much busier subway system, the busier passenger rail station, and Pearson sees more international passengers than any other airport on the continent except for JFK.

When one looks at industry after industry, Toronto has either pulled up even, ahead, or far ahead. Financial services, aerospace, food processing, tech, autos, and cultural industries are 6 where Toronto is ahead and the gap is widening.

I'm not sure if the 'Chicago feels bigger' holds up to scrutiny either. When you stand in downtown Toronto and look to the suburbs one doesn't see endless low rise but other skylines all over the place. It gives the feeling that one's in a bigger metro, not a smaller one. From the CN Tower, to the Skydome, to the busiest highway on the planet, Toronto feels very large when you move around it.

Some in Chicago might like holding on to that quaint notion that Toronto is their little Great Lakes sibling but that's largely a comforting delusion. One only need visit in 2016 and it takes all of 1 day to realize it.

Last edited by isaidso; Apr 19, 2016 at 6:47 AM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 6:51 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
The skyscraper part may be true one day I know Toronto is building like crazy, but still going to be some time. Chicago is too going thru a boom and has over 45 high-rises under construction in the downtown area alone. With dozens more in the pipeline and with some good height so.
Chicago is a wonderful city with a fantastic skyline but perhaps you should check the data base on this very site. If Toronto and Chicago both build what is currently in the pipeline (approved, proposed), Toronto will close the gap in skyscrapers completely (134 vs 141). It could happen within the next 5-6 years. That's not that far off imo. I used roof height for the tables below and it's excluding Mississauga:

Chicago 150m+ buildings
Built 114
Under Construction 5
Proposed 15

TOTAL 134

Toronto 150m+ buildings
Built 45
Under Construction 26
Proposed 70

TOTAL 141

Last edited by isaidso; Apr 21, 2016 at 6:08 AM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 9:15 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Add to that the number of new proposals popping up in Toronto on a monthly basis, if not weekly at times. That has barely stopped for 7 or 8 years now...
So far this year there has been added, to the SSP database, 10 towers over 150 metres. All brand new proposals...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 11:37 AM
Love skyscrapers

I would suspect Toronto has the fastest growing skyline in North America right now. Sure gets more awesome every year

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 6:06 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyisnolimit View Post
I would suspect Toronto has the fastest growing skyline in North America right now. Sure gets more awesome every year
In absolute terms Toronto might have ceded that title to New York after being #1 (by quite a wide margin) for many many years. In terms of growth in the skyline relative to its size, Toronto is definitely still #1.

Judging by 150m+ buildings (the table above), Toronto's skyline might triple in size (going from 45 to 131). That is just mind boggling.

Old Posted May 8, 2016, 10:39 AM

Why?

Why does Toronto have to compare itself constantly???? Chicago. - - - New York ....

First, irrespective of the city population or area size, Toronto has a fine collection of impressive and often beautiful high rises.

Secondly, Chicago has a huge lakeshore park and boulevard; Toronto hasn't. This is not bad, but changes the prespective and feeling of the city.

Although close, Chicago is NOT the number one city of the United States, New York is. Toronto is Canada's number one city....

Toronto .... just be yourself !!!!!

Old Posted May 8, 2016, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Why does Toronto have to compare itself constantly???? Chicago. - - - New York ....

First, irrespective of the city population or area size, Toronto has a fine collection of impressive and often beautiful high rises.

Secondly, Chicago has a huge lakeshore park and boulevard; Toronto hasn't. This is not bad, but changes the prespective and feeling of the city.

Although close, Chicago is NOT the number one city of the United States, New York is. Toronto is Canada's number one city....

Comparisons just mark the desire for constant improvement, no? I think it's a very positive thing.

Old Posted May 8, 2016, 2:43 PM

Quote:

Toronto also has a huge lakefront park, the Toronto Isands.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto