HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 3:34 PM
Administrator

^If there is any sense in Orlando (and there is), they will be connected soon enough.

Hopefully it's done by extending one or the other, not with a sucky shuttle.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 4:36 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdreamz View Post
The distance from the Sand Lake Road station to the Orlando airport is about 4.9 miles or less depending where the AAF rail station is to be built within the airport complex. AAF should just extend their tracks westward and connect with Sunrail there unless CSX has tracks that run by the airport. Does anybody know if CSX has tracks along this route?
What a missed opportunity to connect both systems!
CSX services a coal power plant with tracks owned by the power plant that runs around the airport. Sunrail is already planning to use those tracks in the future. It's not a missed opportunity since Sunrail will eventually make the connection.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
^If there is any sense in Orlando (and there is), they will be connected soon enough.

Hopefully it's done by extending one or the other, not with a sucky shuttle.
There is also a study well underway to link the East/West (Lake County to UCF via downtown cooridor with connection at SunRail) via a mode of mass transit. One of the options is light rail, another is street car, and then the less impressive option would be BRT. Regardless of the decision, it is extremely important to link the UCF campus to downtown via mass transit.

Here is the website for more details about the alignment options:
http://www.lynxsr50.com/participate.asp

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 5:38 AM

More SunRail station progress updates:

Debary Station:

Sanford Station:

Lake Mary Station:

Longwood Station:

Altamonte Springs Station:

Maitland Station:

Winter Park Station:

Florida Hospital Station:

Orlando Amtrak Station:

Sand Lake Rd Station:

Lynx Central Station:

Church Street Station:

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 1:27 AM
Administrator

The crap they try to pass off as a shelter is insulting to people with a functioning brain.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 2:45 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
The crap they try to pass off as a shelter is insulting to people with a functioning brain.
You forgot Orlando is in sunny and warm Florida where the only shelter needed is something to provide some shade against the sun. Sure it rains, but there are things called umbrellas and coats for protection against rain.

Give the planners some credit about knowing something about the climate in central Florida.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 4:45 AM
life is good

Eh, the shelter is lacking. And you need serious protection from the sun and heat during the summer.

That said, I was in Orlando two weeks ago and was very impressed how the Church St and other nearby stations were very integrated in to the urban fabric. As long as they increase the darn frequencies this could be very, very successful.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Eh, the shelter is lacking. And you need serious protection from the sun and heat during the summer.

That said, I was in Orlando two weeks ago and was very impressed how the Church St and other nearby stations were very integrated in to the urban fabric. As long as they increase the darn frequencies this could be very, very successful.
It could be better, but I'm still happy with this. It looks better than TriRail to me, personally. The Winter Park Station in particular looks great.

I was down there in November, and thought the core of the metro was looking pretty damn good. What's your take?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 7:05 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
You forgot Orlando is in sunny and warm Florida where the only shelter needed is something to provide some shade against the sun. Sure it rains, but there are things called umbrellas and coats for protection against rain.

Give the planners some credit about knowing something about the climate in central Florida.
Jasonhouse lives in Tampa, so I think he's pretty familiar with the climate.

The shelters seem to be a little too high to really provide effective protection from rain, especially if there is wind.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 7:22 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The shelters seem to be a little too high to really provide effective protection from rain, especially if there is wind.
If there is wind, the typical wind block glass panel under the center of the shelter, isn't going to prevent many waiting passengers from getting wet, no matter how low the shelter is built. The best way to stay dry in a rain shower is to go inside a building. Any opening at all will allow the rain in. So the shelter's height is immaterial.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 5:08 PM

Quote:
If there is wind, the typical wind block glass panel under the center of the shelter, isn't going to prevent many waiting passengers from getting wet, no matter how low the shelter is built. The best way to stay dry in a rain shower is to go inside a building. Any opening at all will allow the rain in. So the shelter's height is immaterial.
An interesting part of the roof design used on most of the stations- a broken "V" with the two legs overlapping, is the very high wind resistance. The design seems designed for net downward from the high side of the "V" and net level from the low side.

In all designs, a hefty amount of steel is used.

Of the platform designs, the Winter Park roof sheathing may be the most vulnerable due to wind. Wind, when going at right angles to the platform roofing, would generate an upward low pressure.

(Not the rain in Florida but the wind one has to design for. Of course saltwater flooding and fresh water flooding are huge factors, two)

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 6:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:

Orlando gets like 52 inches of rain a year, most of it coming down in thunder storms and squalls.

If the shelters are so well adapted to the local climate, I have two questions... Why is it that in the pics where it just stopped raining, everything under the shelters is soaked? And if these shelter designs are customized for the local climate, then why do they look the same as the crap shelters seen on numerous other transit systems?

It's nice that some places in Florida are finally pulling their heads out of their ass and are building useful urban transit. It would be even nicer that as one of the last regions of the country to develop mass transit, that we would improve on things people have issue with in other existing systems.

The thing that will make this system succeed in the long run, so long as they get a usable schedule running sooner than later, is the fact that the line is a good route, and most of the stations are in good locations.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 6:44 AM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
It could be better, but I'm still happy with this. It looks better than TriRail to me, personally. The Winter Park Station in particular looks great.

I was down there in November, and thought the core of the metro was looking pretty damn good. What's your take?
Manne I had similar impressions. Downtown looked great throughout. I haven't been to Orlando in a half a decade, but I had hip friends that live in Jacksonville with us also. They regularly visit Orlando for good concerts and they spoke on it. They continue to be impressed. They said it was previously only church St and wall St areas but now so different. I could speak at length about how cool many venues were but I'm trying to keep it brief. Lake eola area is beautiful. Colonialtown neighborhood is awesome ton of Vietnam else restaurants and hipster bars and music venues.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 5:29 PM

A visit to "the other Orlando" should include stops in the Ivanhoe Row district, Mills50, Audobon Park, the Milk district, and Thornton Park. These are all urban neighborhoods with their own distinct identities. All are also within a few miles of the historic core.

Back to SunRail, the platform canopies are certainly not going to provide shelter during an infamous Central Florida rainstorm.

Stations not fully enclosed wont achieve this. Given FDOT's abysmal record in funding mass transit, it really isn't surprising that extra attention was not made to provide better funding for enclosed shelters. Several of the cities kicked in additional monies to enhance these stations, particularly, Winter Park, Longwood, Altamonte, Florida Hospital station, and Kissimmee Intermodal station (not pictured here as it is a Phase II station, but is currently underway).

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahaboheme View Post
A visit to "the other Orlando" should include stops in the Ivanhoe Row district, Mills50, Audobon Park, the Milk district, and Thornton Park. These are all urban neighborhoods with their own distinct identities. All are also within a few miles of the historic core.
Totally agree. My best friend lives in Audubon Park, so that's where I always stay when I'm in town. Great area, and right across the street from Baldwin Park - one of the best new urbanism hoods in the country.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 5:09 AM

More SunRail updates -- about 1.5 months to Phase I opening date:

Sand Lake Road Station:

Sand Lake Road SunRail Station by Ride SunRail, on Flickr

Ticket Vending Machines at Sand Lake Road by Ride SunRail, on Flickr

Sand Lake Road Handicapped Accessible Parking by Ride SunRail, on Flickr

Amtrak / Orlando Regional Hospital Station:

Orlando Health/Orlando Amtrak Station Platform by Ride SunRail, on Flickr

Orlando Health/Amtrak Brick Work by Ride SunRail, on Flickr

Orlando Amtrak/Orlando Health SunRail Station by Ride SunRail, on Flickr

Church Street Station:

SunRail Train at Church Street Station by Ride SunRail, on Flickr

Church Street SunRail Station by Ride SunRail, on Flickr

Church Street Station Canopy Construction by Ride SunRail, on Flickr

Lynx Central Station:

Ticket Vending Machine at LYNX Central Station by Ride SunRail, on Flickr

Ticket Vending Machine at LYNX Central Station by Ride SunRail, on Flickr

LYNX Central SunRail Station by Ride SunRail, on Flickr

Florida Hospital Station:

Florida Hospital Station Platform by Ride SunRail, on Flickr

Florida Hospital SunRail Station by Ride SunRail, on Flickr

Winter Park Station:

Winter Park Station Canopies by Ride SunRail, on Flickr

Winter Park Station from Central Park by Ride SunRail, on Flickr

Welcome to Winter Park by Ride SunRail, on Flickr

Maitland Station:

Maitland Platform Finishes by Ride SunRail, on Flickr

Altamonte Springs Station:

Ticket Vending Machines at the Altamonte Springs Station by Ride SunRail, on Flickr

Altamonte Springs Station Platform by Ride SunRail, on Flickr

Altamonte Springs Station Landscaping by Ride SunRail, on Flickr

Longwood Station:

Longwood Station Platform and Canopy by Ride SunRail, on Flickr

Longwood SunRail Station by Ride SunRail, on Flickr

Longwood SunRail Station by Ride SunRail, on Flickr

Longwood SunRail Station Landscaping by Ride SunRail, on Flickr

Lake Mary Station:

Lake Mary SunRail Station by Ride SunRail, on Flickr

Ticket Vending Machines in Lake Mary by Ride SunRail, on Flickr

Lake Mary SunRail Station by Ride SunRail, on Flickr

Sanford Station:

Ticket Vending Machines on the Sanford Platform by Ride SunRail, on Flickr

DeBary Station:

DeBary SunRail Station Platform by Ride SunRail, on Flickr

Ticket Vending Machines in DeBary by Ride SunRail, on Flickr

Welcome to the DeBary Station by Ride SunRail, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 7:49 PM

Wow! Very nice. I'm looking forward to it. Hope they will be so successful.

Who will be on inauguration?

What's next? How about phase II expansion?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 11:38 PM
Administrator

How is passenger access onto the train controlled?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 12:05 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
How is passenger access onto the train controlled?
I don't think it will be. I expect Sunrail will use the typical commuter rail "proof of payment" system as most use. There will be an engineer in the locomotive and a conductor checking tickets/passes after you board the train. It'll take the conductor too long to do so before you boad the train. Initially, it doesn't take long for a conductor or assistants to walk the relatively short trains down checking tickets. Why pay for machines or personnel to control access to the platforms when you're already paying to have a conductor aboard the train?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Wow! Very nice. I'm looking forward to it. Hope they will be so successful.

Who will be on inauguration?

What's next? How about phase II expansion?
Phase II is funded and is in pre-construction. This will extend the line to DeLand (Northbound) and Kissimmee / Poinciana (Southbound). The Southbound phase 2 connection will be absolutely critical to the success of the system, as the southern (Osceola County) metro suffers from lack of transportation options the most.

Here is the system map (phase 2 in blue):

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation