HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
The retail scene in Canada is currently in dire straits thanks to a dismal 2020 and COVID-19. Here is a partial list of some national brands (some of which have locations here in St. John’s) that are currently in financial trouble and may disappear from the retail scene altogether in the near future.
https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...6307-113844953
Yes - I believe many of the companies mentioned have been on thin ice for a some time. I think COVID-19 became a catalyst that accelerated the inevitable. Globally, the retail landscape is going to look very different in the near future.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Yes - I believe many of the companies mentioned have been on thin ice for a some time. I think COVID-19 became a catalyst that accelerated the inevitable. Globally, the retail landscape is going to look very different in the near future.
Can't help but wonder if some of the stores that were opening in the Avalon Mall expansion will end up not happening - at least not right now. Several brands on that list are in the mall including
Nygard
Le Senza
Victoria's Secret
Le Chateau
Starbucks
David's Tea
Gap/Banana Republic (a combination store was previously announced)
Old Navy (store previously announced)

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla77 View Post
Can't help but wonder if some of the stores that were opening in the Avalon Mall expansion will end up not happening - at least not right now. Several brands on that list are in the mall including
Nygard
Le Senza
Victoria's Secret
Le Chateau
Starbucks
David's Tea
I suspect a combination of delays and reassessments made by corporate. Not just locally - this is a global situation.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 12:52 AM

Saw a Giant Tiger transport truck this evening. I had heard rumors that they were coming here but I didn't think they were close to opening. Anyone have an update?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 6:00 PM

Quote:
The retail scene in Canada is currently in dire straits thanks to a dismal 2020 and COVID-19. Here is a partial list of some national brands (some of which have locations here in St. John’s) that are currently in financial trouble and may disappear from the retail scene altogether in the near future.
https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...6307-113844953
Saw a sign at the intersection of Thorburn, O'Leary, and Larkall (aka the upper mall intersection) advertising that GNC is closing down, so that would be store on that list.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 4:27 PM

Michaels is now opened at Galway. Thought it was gonna be a much smaller store but it seems pretty close in size to the Stavanger Drive.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I actually havent heard a confirmation that the Woodgate Plaza is going to be The Brick but Avalon Mall/Crombie REIT did announce that The Brick was going to be part of the Avalon Mall renovation project as a stand alone big box store. The only real logical location for that right now is the former Woodgage Plaza location.
Confirmed The Brick is going in Woodgate Plaza

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevan View Post
Slumlord Torontonian - and he owns a whole lot of buildings downtown SJ. Same owner as the former Fixed location and others.

Would seem to rather have his buildings empty than to decrease rents to a reasonable amount. And there are tax breaks for doing this, after all..
Basically screwed all 3 (jacks, trapped and narrows) from what i've heard from insiders, put an ad up a few weeks ago for staff for axe throwing showing pictures of jacks.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Not sure if this fits here but it doesn't fit anywhere else that I can see. Jack Axes announced on their facebook page last week that they are moving to a new location and hoping to reopen in September. Reason was the landlord of their current building who a few people have had issues with over the years. Not sure if Trapped and the archery place moving with them.

https://www.facebook.com/JackAxesInc...24360277892065
They are now eyeing the former Needs Location on Merrymeeting Road. Which seems like an odd place for such a business, but I guess they think it will work for them. This is the location where I thought there was approval for a few townhouses. Not sure what happened to that plan.

Last edited by J_Murphy; Jul 16, 2020 at 11:10 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Nygard
Le Senza
Victoria's Secret
Le Chateau
Starbucks
David's Tea
Looks like David's Tea won't be back. They are down to just 18 locations now and NL isn't on the list..

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...-18-locations/

Quote:
The 18 stores are located in major shopping malls. Seven are in Quebec, five in Ontario and the rest in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba and New Brunswick.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 11:23 AM

I’ve heard from a few people that Victoria’s Secret and Pink are not reopening in the mall. Does anyone know if that is true?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkmw View Post
I’ve heard from a few people that Victoria’s Secret and Pink are not reopening in the mall. Does anyone know if that is true?
Can't confirm, but Victoria Secret was in a dire financial situation so it's very possible that they close stores including the Avalon Mall location.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 12:23 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Can't confirm, but Victoria Secret was in a dire financial situation so it's very possible that they close stores including the Avalon Mall location.
VS/Pink is now closed permanently in Moncton. The only Maritime store now is at HSC in Halifax, so the Avalon Mall location may be toast too.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
VS/Pink is now closed permanently in Moncton. The only Maritime store now is at HSC in Halifax, so the Avalon Mall location may be toast too.
My thought is unsubstantiated but I figure that's the case. VS/Pink were in rough waters prior to COVID-19. I think COV-19 essentially provided a catalyst to accelerate the closures.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 2:51 PM

Spirit Halloween (or whatever its called) is going into the former Pier One location this year. You can see costume packages in the window.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 1:59 PM

Noticed that “The Brick” are now looking for staff on the local job sites for its new location on Kenmount Road, next to ToysRUs. Anyone know when it’s supposed to open? The exterior looks pretty much complete.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
My thought is unsubstantiated but I figure that's the case. VS/Pink were in rough waters prior to COVID-19. I think COV-19 essentially provided a catalyst to accelerate the closures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Can confirm that both Pink & Victoria Secret in the Avalon Mall are closed.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 8:03 PM

'The Brick' furniture store on Kenmount Road seems to be coming along nicely and quickly I might add. They recently listed job postings for staff so I assume it will be opening some time this fall by the looks of it. Probably gonna be a shot in a the arm for the former Woodgate Plaza site which is now owned by Crombie REIT, the owners of Avalon Mall.
Here are a couple of pics I took this past week.

https://scontent-lga3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...f4&oe=5F81CA02

https://scontent-lga3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...7e&oe=5F80A19B

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 9:52 PM

Thumbs up The Brick / Crombie Reit

That's an attractive looking storefront, a vast improvement over what the building used to be.

Will Toys R Us get a refresh too?

Last edited by Offshore1; Sep 10, 2020 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Clarity

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 10:50 AM

I would hope so. Plus the Toys R Us logo has now changed and has a maple leaf inside of the R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
That's an attractive looking storefront, a vast improvement over what the building used to be.

Will Toys R Us get a refresh too?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's