HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartzman View Post
to anyone from St. Louis.....would you describe the typical st Louis house as "French-style"...i dunno, but the ones in jivecity's second pic look kinda french-canadian-ish? i know the name "st louis" is french and that the city flag has a fleur d'lys in it.....but i also know that there are next to no french people in the city...so is that archetecture authentically french-north-american or is it just all co-incidental.....in other words, how French is STL?
Saint-Louis was french before 1803 but americans buy it

Last edited by PhilippeMtl; Feb 21, 2007 at 9:41 PM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 9:49 PM
Just win, Billikens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartzman View Post
to anyone from St. Louis.....would you describe the typical st Louis house as "French-style"...i dunno, but the ones in jivecity's second pic look kinda french-canadian-ish? i know the name "st louis" is french and that the city flag has a fleur d'lys in it.....but i also know that there are next to no french people in the city...so is that archetecture authentically french-north-american or is it just all co-incidental.....in other words, how French is STL?
The oldest homes in St. Louis - in Soulard, Benton Park, Carondelet, Lafayette Square, Old North St. Louis, etc. are very much French-inspired. As you head west from downtown towards the neighborhoods that were built in the early 1900's - Tower Grove, the Central West End, etc., the homes start to look more like the Skinker-DeBaliviere houses that I posted.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 3:20 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Lot of great cities are showing off their great housing stocks and styles here.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 4:48 AM

Sadly, for many generations Vancouver was known for this, the "Vancouver Special", especially in the southern parts of the east side, and to a lesser extent the west side:

Thankfully, Vancouver's housing stock is becoming dominated by this. Perhaps equally annoying in their repetitiveness, but still an improvement, these condo buildings are characterized by their tall towers and street friendly podiums. They are found in the downtown neighbourhoods of Yaletown and Coal Harbour and are growing on the eastern fringes of downtown, the area around Science World, South Granville and South East False Creek.

To a lesser extent, Vancouver is known for it's rather hideous concrete commie block highrises in the West End. There is something charming about their ugliness however.

Lastly, Vancouver has some neighbourhoods with "heritage" wood frame houses, Edwardian and more recent. They are often small and tightly packed, or larger ones that have become duplexes. These houses dominate the West Side neighbourhood of Kitsilano, and are also found in the central neighbourhood of Mount Pleasant and the East Side neighbourhoods of Strathcona and Commercial Drive, Fairview. In very limited quantities, you can see these houses in the West End.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 4:11 PM
cities|transit|croissants

DC's rowhouse stock is notable for ornate bays, frequent turrets, and painted brick.

We also have a lot of bungaloid rowhouses, though they're less common and less distinctly Washingtonian. We have very few detached bungalows, though.

Out in the suburbs brick cape cods are the vernacular. Our detached stock doesn't come close to measuring up to the quality of the rowhouse stock.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 12:49 PM

I'm always amazed by the rows in DC

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 12:27 AM
disorient yourself?

There are a variety of common styles in Houston. I am showing them from all over the city, instead of just the downtown area.

Here are the most common:

Inner loop:

Inner Belt:

Outer belt:

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 4:57 PM
Closed account

i'll speak up fo kc. the milwaukee photos look closest to kansas city housing stock except kc has shirtwaists with a stone or brick 1st story all the way around, typically a bit more spacing between the houses, and often, not always, an abandoned alley and retrofitted driveways. the collonade apartment building is also extremely common. this one picture captures some variety of what is found in midtown kcmo. the powerlines are typically in the abandoned alley, though. picture by tosspot.

Last edited by SuburbanNation; Feb 25, 2007 at 5:09 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 9:16 PM

Wasatch Front (Salt Lake City and surrounding metro)

What was old is now new. This is the new Daybreak planned community and is now a part of the metro's new housing boom. This particular style of residential is extremely popular all over the greater metro area

By Western U.S. standards Salt Lake City is an old town. Much of historic Salt Lake is still in tact and on display. The prosperous growth over the past 20 years has lead to the revival of its historic neighborhoods.

Victorian and Queen Anne are prevalent styles in the Avenues

Another prevalent style,Craftsman/Prairie

Newly restored 30's style neigborhoods abound and are very popular.

Hugely popular among first time home buyer's and fixer-upper's,"The Bungalow."

No matter what the style or size a large percentage of newer Salt Lake Metro homes are built with a view in mind. Much of the Wasatch Metro is built on large bench's which surround the area. You either have a view of spectacular mountain peaks, or valley's and lakes, or both

Traditional street level entrance with a steep drop-off in back. Large windows and decks to take advantage of the views like the pic above. This is typical of urban Salt Lake.

Last edited by delts145; Feb 26, 2007 at 3:02 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 9:55 PM

Coldayman pretty much hit on the double as a local vernacular. I did a whole thread of them one time, either here or at SSC.

Other 19th century types in Dayton are the "Urban I House", an urban version of a rural farmhouse, refigured to fit on tight city lots. Sometimes with an L or T rear, often with the door to the side. Also ones with the door to the front, and a shed roof one story rear addition.

Early versions from before the Civil War, maybe as late as the 1860s, two to the lot as this neighborhood built out during the walking city era, close to an water power district, thus increased density via doubling up on lots.

From the 1880s.

Maybe the 1870s

The ubiquitous "workers cottage", versions of this are found throughout the Midwest.

Rarer are a local version of the shotgun. Many of these are "sawed-off shotguns" that are not as long..this is a longer one...

Near the end of the 19th century and into the 20th one sees bungalows and foursquares, sometimes in serial production. This block is from the early 20th century...

These aren't really street scenes. The visual image of Dayton is that there is quite a bit of variety of houseform in the 19th century neighborhoods, but more repetivtive construction as one enters into the 20th century, with spec buidling becoming more common, I guess.

Dayton had a very strong building and loan association culture in the 19th century, originating a lending pratice called "The Dayton Plan". The result is that the city is bult out mostly in single famliy houses and doubles, with very few apartments or long rowhouses. There is also a noticeable transition from brick to wood as a favored building material, as one progressess through the 19th century.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 11:27 PM

Five more styles from Hamilton, oldest to newest

Victorian housing reminiscent of Toronto's housing:

Tons of these north of downtown

Four squares straight from the Sears catalogue:

As you move east in Hamilton, you can clearly see the patterns of growth

Tudor styles in East Hamilton, similar ones are found on the other side of town in Westdale.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos