HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 4:28 PM

Multi-Families in older Houston hoods

This thread will follow my rows/townhome theme. While looking for investment opportunities for a Boston REIT, I stumbled upon more hidden gems in Houston; multi-family buildings. Most of these are duplexes but there are some smaller "Melrose Place" type of apartments as well a triplexes and fourplexes. All of these are from Inside the Loop and I will seperate them by zip code. All pictures are taken from www.har.com and photographers are unkown. Most of these buildings are in grave danger of disappearing as the new townhome market continues its surge.

77006- Montrose, Hyde Park, Avondale, and Neartown areas

the view from the property (southwest of downtown)

new construction across the street

77019- West Montrose, Winlow Place, Allen Parkway areas

77098- Upper Kirby area

77005- Southampton, Boulevard Oaks, western section of the Museum District

77004- The 3rd Ward, eastern section of the Museum District, Washington Terrace, Riverside Terrace, and University Oaks near the campus of Texas Southern University and the U of Houston. This neighborhood is the next one to be majorly threatened by the developers. Hopefully many of these can be saved but about 10% have probably come down in the last 5 years. The 3rd Ward is fascinating because much of the housing stock is amazing. Mansions in Riverside Terrace and sturdy brick 1920s traditionals in Washington Terrace. However, much of the neighborhood, especially lining I-45 is in major decay. Shotgun houses, burned out commercial spaces, and vacant lots. Of course, in typical Houston fashion, the developers aren't building in the decayed areas but instead are taking down many of the great old buildings that should/could be saved!

Now, the good news for preservationists; the gays have moved in. Here are a few examples of older duplexes that have been turned back into single family homes and a few that are for sale that hopefully individuals will scoop up and not some townhome developer.

the view towards downtown to the northwest

77023- The new frontier. Eastwood, Idylwood, Eastside, and Broadmoor. Just across I-45 to the North of U of Houston. Many of these house students.

the Near Eastside

the new townhomes adjacent to this property

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 5:06 PM

This house is across the street from the home I spent my first five years of my life in. Then we sold it. Then my aunt moved in and leased it, she moved out and now we lost it again. It's on Arbor Street and is the small tudor looking house that is directly across the street from 288 that sits on a small hill. You can easily see it from the freeway. The view from the back alley is great (The Med Center) and you also have a nice view of downtown from the front yard.

I would love to call the street home again. Some of the most intact streets in Houston are located in that part of Third Ward. Nice pics and commentary.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 4:08 AM
H-town Baller

Good stuff, Shasta.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 6:28 AM
Babylon falling

WTF, I thought Houston's oldest building was from 1972 wasn't it an Arby's or a Church's Chicken on the side of I-10???

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 2:43 PM
$$Money on my Mind$$

Some nice hidden gems there!!!!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 6:17 PM
Ms AA

Keep up the good work showing the urban side of Houston.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos