HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Now convicted sex offender is a bit of a blanket statement
He was convicted of sexual assault, and as such his name has been added to the sex offender registry. So I don't think it's an unfair generalization to call him a convicted sex offender.

Quote:
He was not convicted of RAPE or child molestation...
Technically not, only because 'Rape' is no longer a term used in Canada's sexual assault laws. It was changed to 'sexual assault' in the early 1980s.

Quote:
Denis Vranich, 31, the property owner and a manager at the Elixir Lounge and Nightclub, admits he cornered the 22-year-old woman and assaulted her on a back deck during a private, after-hours party WHILE INTOXICATED
Intoxication is not a legal defense for sexual assault, any more than it is a defense for driving while intoxicated.

Sorry to derail this thread but I felt strongly that those details had to be clarified.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 8:19 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterwhite View Post

Denis Vranich, 31, the property owner and a manager at the Elixir Lounge and Nightclub, admits he cornered the 22-year-old woman and assaulted her on a back deck during a private, after-hours party WHILE INTOXICATED

He was not convicted of RAPE or child molestation so i don't see how a DUI, or Drug Dealing, or Aggravated assault of knocking someones teeth out is any better?
I don't know why exactly you felt the need to bold the "WHILE INTOXICATED" part, unless it was some sort of apologist, wrong place at the wrong time, she asked for it kind of thing. Or maybe I'm just seeing into this too much. I don't know, it's off topic anyway and is referencing the post from almost a year ago.

Anyway, I too walked by and snapped a photo of the back. They're definitely demo'ing stuff.

"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 9:17 PM

Quote:

He was not convicted of RAPE or child molestation so i don't see how a DUI, or Drug Dealing, or Aggravated assault of knocking someones teeth out is any better?
"Rape" isn't a crime any longer. The crime is sexual assault- if that's what Denis Vranich was convicted of, he is in fact a convicted sex offender.

Drunk driving or getting into a bar fight is dangerous behaviour, but I can easily see why someone would not be offended by them in quite the same way as getting drunk, cornering a female staff member, and sexually assaulting her.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
I don't know why exactly you felt the need to bold the "WHILE INTOXICATED" part, unless it was some sort of apologist, wrong place at the wrong time, she asked for it kind of thing. Or maybe I'm just seeing into this too much. I don't know, it's off topic anyway and is referencing the post from almost a year ago.

Anyway, I too walked by and snapped a photo of the back. They're definitely demo'ing stuff.

no nothing like that, just wanted to say that DUI, Bar fight (assuming alcohol is involved) and Sexual Assault (alcohol was involved) are all serious crimes.

To say that a DUI or a bar fight is ok BUT being a registered sex offender is worse is not fare. In my opinion DUI shows complete disregard for Human life.

Denis uses his fathers company and money, and as long as it helps our city he can hire other people like him self to do the manual labour for all i care it will not change his reputation.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillStreetBlues View Post
"Rape" isn't a crime any longer. The crime is sexual assault- if that's what Denis Vranich was convicted of, he is in fact a convicted sex offender.
i did not know that

Quote:

Drunk driving or getting into a bar fight is dangerous behaviour, but I can easily see why someone would not be offended by them in quite the same way as getting drunk, cornering a female staff member, and sexually assaulting her.
to me, a DUI would warrant not doing business with that person ever again but thats just me.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
to me, a DUI would warrant not doing business with that person ever again but thats just me.
There's a bit of that in the mix as well:
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/22...t-off-the-job/

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
WOW and everyone still got their jobs and no jail time

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I can understand someone arguing that being a drunk driver and convicted sex offender (or rapist- 'rape' is not how the crime is expressed in the Criminal Code because 'sexual assault' better conveys the crime's violent nature and a broader interpretation) should not preclude Denis Vranich from doing business with the City.

However, bribing public officials in my opinion is something that should, and should definitely disqualify someone from receiving grants.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 6:27 PM

Quote:
WOW and everyone still got their jobs and no jail time
Nope. The city employee was fired for driving a Vranich company truck drunk. The city has a 3 strikes and you're out policy on that, and it was his third time. He was sentenced probation. I believe the corruption charges were eventually dropped.

I'm not saying let's not allow 220 Dundurn to be developed. If it's on the developer's own dime (no more city grants), it's fine. It's just buyer beware like anything else.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 7:21 PM

from today:
http://raisethehammer.org/article/22...urn_south_plan

i'm guessing the LCBO to relocate to that spot?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevue View Post
from today:
http://raisethehammer.org/article/22...urn_south_plan

i'm guessing the LCBO to relocate to that spot?
"rental apartments, mainly one-bedroom and bachelor suites geared towards young professionals"

i have a feeling that a Building full of only Bachelor Suites and one-bedroom units will bring a lot of unsavory characters

"As all heating and on-demand hot water in the building will be electric powered, Vranich also expressed an interest in rooftop solar power"

WTF electric heating is going to be expansive to the occupants

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 4:53 PM
Concerned Citizen

It looks to me like this is being set up as a student residence.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 5:06 PM

Quote:
WTF electric heating is going to be expansive to the occupants
Not if they use heat pumps. They use 2-3 times less electricity than resistive (baseboard) heat and can also be used for hot water. Also when the insulation is very good, the heating costs are cheap regardless of the energy source - and if he's going for LEED points he will want to avoid gas.

This won't be like the typical 1950's highrise full of baseboard heaters and open windows - I don't know how those places can afford their electricity.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Not if they use heat pumps. They use 2-3 times less electricity than resistive (baseboard) heat and can also be used for hot water. If he's going for LEED certification he will need to use efficient heat and insulation that goes beyond code requirements. It could be a very energy efficient building.
yes, but all that and much more can be done with natural gas fired units which will be cheaper and more efficient.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 5:51 PM

Quote:
yes, but all that and much more can be done with natural gas fired units which will be cheaper and more efficient.
If efficiency is defined as energy out as a percentage of energy input (it usually is), the worst electric heater is a few percent more efficient than the best gas furnace.

All electric resistance heaters have an efficiency of exactly 100% - all electricity consumed is converted to heat. With gas, some of the heat is inevitably removed with the exhaust gases and there are losses due to incomplete combustion.

Heat pumps put out more heat than they consume in electricity by extracting it from the outside air or the ground. This results in an efficiency over 100% which is called the coefficient of performance. For example a COP of 3 would mean it uses 1/3 as much energy as resistance heat, or 300% efficient.

Electric heat is expensive because hydro is expensive. But as technology improves and devices use less electricity, the price gap is getting smaller. Heat pumps are way cheaper to operate than oil and propane and with the way natural gas prices are heading, it won't be long.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 6:25 PM

On water heating: Masterwhite is correct that natural gas is a lot cheaper than electric. Heat pump water heaters (hybrid water heaters) are very efficient, but still more expensive (at current rates, here) than natural gas. They are a no-brainer in a warm climate where cooling costs are high, probably less so in a colder climate where you are extracting heat from conditioned space that you are paying to heat. Another drawback is that they are extremely loud.

Jon, you are right that electric resistance water heaters are 100% efficient in converting electricity to heat, but the process to turn natural gas into electricity at the generating station is not 100% efficient, and then some amount of electricity (regardless of how it was produced) is lost in transmission. I’m a big fan of electricity (that sounds strange, who’s not), and I think that it can make sense even in our climate and even for heating with super-insulation, but it’s hard to argue that it’s going to be cheaper than natural gas very soon.

I can’t remember who said this, but I always remember reading “Heating with electricity is like cutting chainsaw with butter.” Since some of our electricity is produced from fossil fuels (for now), using such a pure form of power to produce heat is not ideal.

On the bachelors and one bedrooms: initially I thought that your comment was a bit insensitive, Masterwhite. I’ve lived in bachelor and one-bedroom apartments and don’t think I’m “unsavory.” But, actually, it would be nice to see a greater mix of unit sizes, to allow different people and families to live in the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 7:42 PM

Quote:
...But, actually, it would be nice to see a greater mix of unit sizes, to allow different people and families to live in the neighbourhood.
^ Yes please. A neighbourhood without a real mix of people and families is not a thriving neighbourhood.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 7:44 PM

Quote:
If efficiency is defined as energy out as a percentage of energy input (it usually is), the worst electric heater is a few percent more efficient than the best gas furnace.

All electric resistance heaters have an efficiency of exactly 100% - all electricity consumed is converted to heat. With gas, some of the heat is inevitably removed with the exhaust gases and there are losses due to incomplete combustion.

Heat pumps put out more heat than they consume in electricity by extracting it from the outside air or the ground. This results in an efficiency over 100% which is called the coefficient of performance. For example a COP of 3 would mean it uses 1/3 as much energy as resistance heat, or 300% efficient.

Electric heat is expensive because hydro is expensive. But as technology improves and devices use less electricity, the price gap is getting smaller. Heat pumps are way cheaper to operate than oil and propane and with the way natural gas prices are heading, it won't be long.
The amount of Amperage it takes for electric on-demand water heaters to heat up water as fast as gas is huge.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 7:55 PM

Quote:
On water heating: Masterwhite is correct that natural gas is a lot cheaper than electric. Heat pump water heaters (hybrid water heaters) are very efficient, but still more expensive (at current rates, here) than natural gas. They are a no-brainer in a warm climate where cooling costs are high, probably less so in a colder climate where you are extracting heat from conditioned space that you are paying to heat. Another drawback is that they are extremely loud.

Jon, you are right that electric resistance water heaters are 100% efficient in converting electricity to heat, but the process to turn natural gas into electricity at the generating station is not 100% efficient, and then some amount of electricity (regardless of how it was produced) is lost in transmission. I’m a big fan of electricity (that sounds strange, who’s not), and I think that it can make sense even in our climate and even for heating with super-insulation, but it’s hard to argue that it’s going to be cheaper than natural gas very soon.

I can’t remember who said this, but I always remember reading “Heating with electricity is like cutting chainsaw with butter.” Since some of our electricity is produced from fossil fuels (for now), using such a pure form of power to produce heat is not ideal.

On the bachelors and one bedrooms: initially I thought that your comment was a bit insensitive, Masterwhite. I’ve lived in bachelor and one-bedroom apartments and don’t think I’m “unsavory.” But, actually, it would be nice to see a greater mix of unit sizes, to allow different people and families to live in the neighbourhood.
I don't mean any disrespect. From my personal experience most rental issues come from bachelor units closely followed by one bedroom units with misses rent payments, noise complains, unit damage, evictions and police visits when looking at a building with units from bachelor to 3 bedrooms.

Also bachelor units are the most expansive SQ FT per Dollar so it makes sense why Vranich is choosing this path.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 3:35 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton