HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 11:51 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

SAN ANTONIO | Mira | 130 FEET | 11 FLOORS | Site Prep

ELMIRA AT MYRTLE

Last edited by Urbannizer; May 28, 2022 at 12:28 PM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 1:22 AM

Love this proposed project!! Fits right in with the Pearl!!

So, sirkingwilliam, do you know what the proposed project on 2100 Broadway is??
Saw it on a Rivard Report article a few days ago.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 1:25 AM

Never mind, I just saw the post further down on the forum!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 2:37 AM

I like it. Let's hope that bottom level is some kind of retail.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 2:48 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahinsa View Post
I like it. Let's hope that bottom level is some kind of retail.
It does have street level retail.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 8:46 AM

As much as I hate to give "AweseomeSAView" reason to call someone negative, I have to say ho hum to yet another low rise development that will undoubtedly price out the middle class, much less the poor.

It's a boring design, but at least it has retail, (for those that can afford it), and is in an area that needs some new construction.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 1:42 PM
JACKinBeantown

It looks like a quick-construction dorm in West Campus in Austin, but it's not offensive and it has retail. I give it a 6 out of 10.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 3:18 PM
Paradise

I didn’t see the street renderings before. I’m not crazy about the design style but the retail looks good and it would add good density to the area. Notice how 10 stories is starting to get more steam midtown/downtown. Maybe that’s a good sign of developments growing taller soon.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 8:12 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
It looks like a quick-construction dorm in West Campus in Austin, but it's not offensive and it has retail. I give it a 6 out of 10.
Nailed it. This probably has bigger balconies though. :p

Also, doesn't matter to me personally because I'll never live there, but it's weird that they put the pool facing west when the views of the Pearl are to the east...?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 8:45 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
Nailed it. This probably has bigger balconies though. :p
I am humbled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
Also, doesn't matter to me personally because I'll never live there, but it's weird that they put the pool facing west when the views of the Pearl are to the east...?
Views of downtown and sunset.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cu...!4d-98.4831204

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 10:55 PM

This project has such a beautiful design!!! It fits right in with the Pearl, like I said and the surrounding area!! I want more, more, more!! This area is exploding with development!!

Don't see the resemblance to the ugly Austin dorms, though
Reminds more of the east... a Boston, a Nashville, a Philly development!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This project is just AWESOME!!!!!!!!!
And with retail!!!
UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 11:58 PM

Love the development but the design is meh in my opinion. Also, if we are going to start doing more retail at the ground level, lets start going more Parisian style and lets have the sidewalk cafes. I love that about Paris.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 3:24 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Love the development but the design is meh in my opinion. Also, if we are going to start doing more retail at the ground level, lets start going more Parisian style and lets have the sidewalk cafes. I love that about Paris.
New York has plenty of those too. But the thing that makes Paris' better is that the tables are all facing outward so patrons can watch people walking by and gossip about them.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 7:59 PM
James

Quote:
New York has plenty of those too. But the thing that makes Paris' better is that the tables are all facing outward so patrons can watch people walking by and gossip about them.
My kind of cafe.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 9:22 PM
Meh

No elevations were attached to this, but it does say the height is 120 feet, though, I'm betting that's only to the main roof, and that it'll be 10 or 12 feet taller than that to the mechanical.

https://sanantonio.legistar.com/Legi...tions=&Search=

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
No elevations were attached to this, but it does say the height is 120 feet, though, I'm betting that's only to the main roof, and that it'll be 10 or 12 feet taller than that to the mechanical.

https://sanantonio.legistar.com/Legi...tions=&Search=
It's not always about size Kevin..you Austinites are spoiled with super tall construction and that's all you guys focus on...(yes I'm slightly bitter that everything that happens here in SA is midrise.)

I'd like to see some elevations at night so we can see what their lighting plan is going to be.

Also, any chance the city can incorporate some bike lanes into this area?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 12:16 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
It's not always about size Kevin..you Austinites are spoiled with super tall construction and that's all you guys focus on...(yes I'm slightly bitter that everything that happens here in SA is midrise.)

I'd like to see some elevations at night so we can see what their lighting plan is going to be.

Midrises actually seem to make for better neighborhoods than highrises. Just walk around New York City and you'll see what I mean. SA is getting a lot of midrises in this area. And as long as enough of them have retail, they will make a great neighborhood.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 1:20 AM

I agree on midrise. Washington DC is all buildings this size with no high rises, and it is plenty of density for vibrant neighborhoods with retail and restaurants.

Also, the RIO zoning overlay generally limits high rises around here, anyway.

Plus, this isn’t on a major road, like Broadway, or even a secondary road like Grayson or Josephine. This is kind of in the middle of a neighborhood. I think it’s amazing scale, and I’m glad it’s not 4 story stick frame, but trust me that it will be enormous in the neighborhood, and a nice step up from the 3 story brownstones being built nearby.

I’m a cheerleader for high rises, too, but I dont have a problem with this scale at this location at all.

Quote:
Midrises actually seem to make for better neighborhoods than highrises. Just walk around New York City and you'll see what I mean. SA is getting a lot of midrises in this area. And as long as enough of them have retail, they will make a great neighborhood.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txdev View Post
I agree on midrise. Washington DC is all buildings this size with no high rises, and it is plenty of density for vibrant neighborhoods with retail and restaurants.

Also, the RIO zoning overlay generally limits high rises around here, anyway.

Plus, this isn’t on a major road, like Broadway, or even a secondary road like Grayson or Josephine. This is kind of in the middle of a neighborhood. I think it’s amazing scale, and I’m glad it’s not 4 story stick frame, but trust me that it will be enormous in the neighborhood, and a nice step up from the 3 story brownstones being built nearby.

I’m a cheerleader for high rises, too, but I dont have a problem with this scale at this location at all.
I have a close relative who lives in DC and I've been there many times. I believe DC has strict height restrictions in an effort not to overshadow iconic buildings like the Washington Monument and the Capitol. But if SA ever approaches the density and vibrancy of Washington DC (including its Metro rail system, which was retro-installed in the 1980s) then I will be well-satisfied. I agree that this development is a good thing. I've also been to European cities like Barcelona, Paris, and London, and they have mile after mile of midrise developments which work beautifully with their transit systems. Again, this is an urban ideal which San Antonio should strive for.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 2:35 AM
Meh

Quote:

Actually, shorter buildings tend to be bigger because of the larger footprints they have versus taller buildings that tend to have smaller footprints covering a smaller lot. That's the whole point of building taller is to reduce land usage. For example, this building appears to take up roughly 80% of the block instead of only a portion of it as a taller tower likely would. As an example, this project will have 325 units and is 10 floors over almost the entire block, whereas there's a new building in Austin proposed that will occupy about a third of the block with 275 units that will have three times as many floors and cover an area that is 130 by 190 feet. This building in San Antonio will be 230 by 335 feet, which is about the same size as the Frost Bank Tower's footprint including the parking podium in Austin. This is a big building.

Also, when I say elevations, I mean the architectural drawings showing the building heights and other technical features, not the artist's renderings show it's cosmetic appearance.

I like the building. I think it looks nice, and I would be happy with something like that in Austin. I would love to see something like this under one of our capitol view corridors.

Anyway, I did a couple of Google Earth models to show it. You can also compare the footprint sizes to the other proposed buildings. It's bigger than a lot of the new buildings proposed for downtown.

Elmira at Myrtle is the blue building on the top left.

Thou shall not indict

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio