HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
The winning proposal was this one:

I do prefer the second place proposal (see Wasatch Wasteland's post), both for the height/density and for the street breakup/engagement.
Oh wow. This is horrible. They have private residential entrances at street level on 3rd south? This should be active use/retail along there and 80% facade transparency. I certainly hope the city has a zoning requirement that will force them to revise this to do something much better than that. What is currently there is much better than what they have proposed.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 1:56 AM
Exit 298

Residence entrances along a major street looks horrible.

Even when it's "done right" (defenciable space) it still looks very wrong. Here's an IRL example along Olympic Blvd in Los Angeles. Looks really out of place:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0440...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 2:16 AM

So is Ken Sanders Books going away? Huge bummer.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 3:10 AM
They all float down here

If it's 80% financial, I can see why they went with the option they did.

I don't hate it - but obviously I would like a bit more height there on that corner.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
So is Ken Sanders Books going away? Huge bummer.
Even more frustrating was that Ken Sanders Rare Books was re-incorporated into the 2nd place proposal’s retail floor plate with the exact same sq. footage and existing rent per sq. foot, and were still able to make their numbers work comfortably. See the diagram on original post.

Just goes to show when you sacrifice a smidge of profitability for the sake of a better design, pedestrian connections, street engagement, public space, and community assets, you lose. In a design competition. I heard with only ONE architect/designer on the judging panel and over a dozen finance people. Makes sense.

Give the designers/architects/planners a year to run the world and make the decisions. let’s see what happens.

Last edited by Wasatch Wasteland; May 7, 2020 at 7:50 AM.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
'A few others as well...'

The 'others', of course, being the Lynch Building, which is a historic gem that sits on the corner of 200 S and 200 E.

Not sure why it was removed, either.

Interesting. It doesn't make any sense why they took these neat buildings off of their renderings.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch Wasteland View Post
Even more frustrating was that Ken Sanders Rare Books was re-incorporated into the 2nd place proposal’s retail floor plate with the exact same sq. footage and existing rent per sq. foot, and were still able to make their numbers work comfortably. See the diagram on original post.

Just goes to show when you sacrifice a smidge of profitability for the sake of a better design, pedestrian connections, street engagement, public space, and community assets, you lose. In a design competition. I heard with only ONE architect/designer on the judging panel and over a dozen finance people. Makes sense.

Give the designers/architects/planners a year to run the world and make the decisions. let’s see what happens.
Ha. Interesting. Note: never take a proposal serious if architects or city planners were not a primary part of it.

Last edited by Orlando; May 7, 2020 at 4:24 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 3:34 PM
Space Magi

One can hope that the real developer will look at both of the top proposals and take the best bits of both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando
This may seem like a cool project, but that ground floor retail is awful. It's squashed. I bet it's about 10' floor to floor or less for the ground floor. In Seattle, 13' is the minimum. It looks like the first two floors are parking, and so the retail at ground level is the same height as a parking level. SLC should require that this be changed, especially for that area. The retail storefrontages are also bland and non-descript. They should pull back the parking on the second level to allow for taller retail &/or lobby/ amenity spaces along the street.

It's worth mentioning that this project is up for review at the planning commission meeting on May 13th. They've been having the meetings online and they're easy to attend, so you could bring this up as a concern.

Last edited by Atlas; May 7, 2020 at 4:39 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 6:27 PM

Thanks. I'd probably be considered a troll if I made a comment in the meeting, because I live in Seattle. So, you locals should voice your concerns.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 1:33 PM
Space Magi

Great shot of 95 State and Liberty Sky from u/chaunceton on the subreddit:

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 2:54 PM

So great to see real movement on both of these towers. Time to watch them rise!

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 2:58 PM
Ironweed

[QUOTE=Orlando;8914653]Oh wow. This is horrible. They have private residential entrances at street level on 3rd south?

I agree. I cannot understand why the city still embraces smallville for prominent corner lots like this. In addition, the aesthetics on this proposal are not there. This one is a thumbs down for me.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 8:21 PM

Love that shot! Makes me homesick.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Great shot of 95 State and Liberty Sky from u/chaunceton on the subreddit:

Nice! I really hope Kensington Tower doesn't get cancelled, since it would be located right in the foreground. With 95 State, Liberty Sky, 255 State (Brinshore), and (fingers crossed) Kensington Tower, State Street along this stretch will feel so much more urban than it used to.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 2:26 AM
One Thing At A Time

Will Liberty Sky be taller than the Maverick Building?

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePusherMan View Post
Will Liberty Sky be taller than the Maverick Building?
It should be. According to Wikipedia, 185 State Street (Maverick building) is 175 feet tall. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Salt_Lake_City However, that Wikipedia page isn't entirely acurate (for example, it lists the Marriott Downtown at City Creek as just 2 feet shorter than The Regent, which there is no possible way that is true). But for now I guess we can trust the height for the Maverick.

I have seen a few heights listed for Liberty Sky, but they seem to keep to the range of 250 to 262 feet - and Boyer still lists it as a 24 story building, so those heights sound right for that many floors in a residential building. https://www.boyercompany.com/portfolio/liberty-sky/

So it should be about 75 feet taller than the Maverick building.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 7:08 AM

They just took it off the rendering so it wouldn't be distracting. It's easier to focus on their rendering if there's just simple grass behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Interesting. It doesn't make any sense why they took these neat buildings off of their renderings.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 4:10 PM

Does anyone know when 255 State is supposed to get underway? Weren't they butting up close to when their building permit was going to expire? I know the pandemic has thrown off many timelines with that kind of thing. Just wondering if anyone knows anything?

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 6:49 AM

Huge fire on Edison Street. Anyone have info?

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 9:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
Huge fire on Edison Street. Anyone have info?
https://gephardtdaily.com/breaking-h...r-the-avenues/

This building: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7636...4!8i8192?hl=en Directly across the street from The Morton.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West