HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
On the left side of this photo you can see the shell of the CN Telegraph building that contains all of the lines that you mention. The TD Tower was built around this shell.

Interesting picture. It's hard to find any pictures of 201 Portage (formerly TD Centre) under construction while it was going up.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 2:25 PM

When I worked for MTS we were told there was "some downtown building" that was built around a central office because it would have been too expensive and difficult to move. Is this the one?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 2:28 PM

^ That's certainly the best-known example, although I suppose it's possible that there could be another?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
When I worked for MTS we were told there was "some downtown building" that was built around a central office because it would have been too expensive and difficult to move. Is this the one?

As far as I know that's the only one.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 7:29 PM

Is the actual building itself still in there? Like can you see it - or did they just keep the technical contents?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Is the actual building itself still in there? Like can you see it - or did they just keep the technical contents?
From what I remember they built a shell around it to put the facade on to match the rest of the building. The actual building still remains behind the shell but I am not sure if they left the windows on the Main St. side or bricked them over when the shell went up. The north facing windows are still intact from the original building.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 10:40 PM

That's really cool. It'd be so sweet if they could reveal them when they eventually reno.

I always wished they would close in the wind walkway (or whatever it's called) and put little shops and cafes there... maybe when P&M opens. That'd be sweet.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 11:05 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
I always wished they would close in the wind walkway (or whatever it's called) and put little shops and cafes there... maybe when P&M opens. That'd be sweet.
The pre-construction publicity back around 1988 boasted a farmers market for that space.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 5:33 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
From what I remember they built a shell around it to put the facade on to match the rest of the building. The actual building still remains behind the shell but I am not sure if they left the windows on the Main St. side or bricked them over when the shell went up. The north facing windows are still intact from the original building.
Is this what you all are referring to for this part of the building?

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Yes, the building on the right side of the photo is the old CNCP Telegraph office that had all the unmovable communication lines. The building on the left was the old TD main branch.
Yeah, I got my right and left mixed up. I meant to say the right side of the photo!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 4:48 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM5 View Post
Rumour has it TD is moving out of 201 Portage and into 360 Main.
Shuffling the deck chairs again.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Is this what you all are referring to for this part of the building?
Yes not sure what is behind those windows maybe office and lunchroom? Don't really need or want windows for the equipment areas. At the lower right of that wall is the air intake for the emergency power system.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Shuffling the deck chairs again.
Might be a good move though... Office rent in 360 Main is generally, next to new supply in TNS, highest in the city. 201 is lower, generally doing anything to get tenants.

Ergo, major players are willing to pay more if they feel they are getting more. Good sign for downtown, but yes, 201 needs to fill that space.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 6:04 PM

201 has never really gone through any significant upgrades aside from tearing down the building next door for a... jumbotron. It's likely coming up on the time for a major overhaul. Wouldn't be surprised to see work continue upward after the concourse work is done.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 6:49 PM

Quote:
201 has never really gone through any significant upgrades aside from tearing down the building next door for a... jumbotron. It's likely coming up on the time for a major overhaul. Wouldn't be surprised to see work continue upward after the concourse work is done.
Perhaps, but I've heard from a number of tenants that they're offering very low rents... anything to get people and cash coming in... that's a move that heads in the opposite direction. Hopefully they've built up a cushion in the meantime and these improvements are a sign of positive change.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 11:01 PM

^Fair, but I guess it's a chicken or egg scenario. Likely having trouble landing tenants since there's been no major upgrades in 30 years, which makes it less attractive so potential tenants, when there's so much new or renovated space nearby.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 9:00 PM

Quote:
^Fair, but I guess it's a chicken or egg scenario. Likely having trouble landing tenants since there's been no major upgrades in 30 years, which makes it less attractive so potential tenants, when there's so much new or renovated space nearby.
True.

For clarification I wasn't intentionally blaming the current landlord, just the ownership over all years in general.

But Harvard paid a market setting high price for that property, so it seems reactive to offer low rent... like they didn't expect this. Regardless, they have greater ambitions than previous owners so hopefully things get moving in there!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 6:07 PM

Still no activity on the roof of Winnipeg Square to indicate the start of the new tower soon. I hope this project doesn't go the way of Sky City!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 7:01 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^....ummm, it won't be starting until the new year now. I hate to be the bringer of bad news but is going through the dreaded VE. I can't and won't even say it.

Not doom and gloom by any means but not as good as we were all hoping.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 7:36 PM

^^^
Are you expecting radical changes?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan