HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 4:07 PM

There was a sequence of events that needed to unfold.

First they removed the concrete pump so they so the form could be raised. The pump would've been too close to the crane. They needed to do this to get the hollow core up to the 12th floor sounds like. So the crane can then be tethered and raised. Then the concrete pump can be re-attached and off they go.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 5:45 PM

Are my eyes deceiving me, or did the core rise again a couple of days ago?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 8:43 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarSlammerBammer View Post
Are my eyes deceiving me, or did the core rise again a couple of days ago?
I think that you may be right!
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The crane can't be raised until the next 3 floors are complete. They are currently installing hollow core on 9, so two more to go. Then the crane can be tethered to the 12th floor and raised.
Won't the climber get in the way at 12th? It looks like the bottom of it is just below 10th to me (I might be counting floors poorly)

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 2:39 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3de14eec6a View Post
Won't the climber get in the way at 12th? It looks like the bottom of it is just below 10th to me (I might be counting floors poorly)
The climber is free of the floor needed to secure the crane.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 3:03 PM

I understand that there were surprises and some redesigns/adjustments needed as a result, but does anyone know when the skywalk across Graham will be reopened? Even if they narrow it to half the width to make is accessible would make a massive difference. Having to go outdoors for even that small of a distance kinda defeats the point of being able to go from Portage and Main to the Bay without a jacket. Also, some people don't wear boots/appropriate footwear assuming they will be indoors. My wife wiped out on some black ice crossing Graham and broke a bone in her arm). I understand that a short closure may have been necessary but I'm surprised the City allowed such a long closure during winter months.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman View Post
I understand that there were surprises and some redesigns/adjustments needed as a result, but does anyone know when the skywalk across Graham will be reopened? Even if they narrow it to half the width to make is accessible would make a massive difference. Having to go outdoors for even that small of a distance kinda defeats the point of being able to go from Portage and Main to the Bay without a jacket. Also, some people don't wear boots/appropriate footwear assuming they will be indoors. My wife wiped out on some black ice crossing Graham and broke a bone in her arm). I understand that a short closure may have been necessary but I'm surprised the City allowed such a long closure during winter months.
It certainly isn't convenient, but there is precedent for these types of extended closures during construction phases... the skywalk system was disrupted for a couple of years when Bell MTS Place was under construction. I'd expect a similar disruption once the redevelopment of Portage Place begins.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It certainly isn't convenient, but there is precedent for these types of extended closures during construction phases... the skywalk system was disrupted for a couple of years when Bell MTS Place was under construction. I'd expect a similar disruption once the redevelopment of Portage Place begins.
I see where you're coming from but that part of the building and skywalk previously existed and isn't really changing structurally from my understanding. I wouldn't be surprised with a few month closure to allow a fitup in the vicinity and with the long duration of the project I would think it could be accomplished during warmer months. Again, if the scope of the work at that specific location is more drastic then I'll back off, but I would think the City would require them to minimize the closure and have a say in the timing.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'd expect a similar disruption once the redevelopment of Portage Place begins.
Considering the Portage Plans that have circulated are essentially building a brand new skywalk on the Portage Ave side of the building I would expect minimum disruption during the Portage Place redevelopment.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Considering the Portage Plans that have circulated are essentially building a brand new skywalk on the Portage Ave side of the building I would expect minimum disruption during the Portage Place redevelopment.
The skywalk bridges themselves are getting a pretty big overhaul too. I suppose they could try to do that work during the summer, though.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman View Post
I see where you're coming from but that part of the building and skywalk previously existed and isn't really changing structurally from my understanding. I wouldn't be surprised with a few month closure to allow a fitup in the vicinity and with the long duration of the project I would think it could be accomplished during warmer months. Again, if the scope of the work at that specific location is more drastic then I'll back off, but I would think the City would require them to minimize the closure and have a say in the timing.
Don’t expect such luxuries to always be available, you live in Winnipeg, it’s January, dressing accordingly would be the simple solution.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Don’t expect such luxuries to always be available, you live in Winnipeg, it’s January, dressing accordingly would be the simple solution.
That's the solution? In the winter wear snow boots and a jacket every time you use the skywalk just in case you get diverted outdoors? Pretty simple.

Anyways, anyone have any kind of information when its expected/hoped to reopen? Just in time for summer, lol?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 6:27 PM

I’m on the ground here every day. I’ll answer what I can to the best of my knowledge. Maybe this time don’t jump all over me for giving info that you maybe don’t like.

Skywalk area IS undergoing significant structural adjustments to tie it into the building. There is no way there will be any kind of access until it’s done due to overhead crane hazards, general construction hazards, lack of fire alarm functioning, and risk of unwanted intrusion. Just in time for summer sounds likely.

There is very little going on around here. Electrical, mechanical, and structural only at current. The only non-structural action happening is on floors beneath 3. Crews are very small. I would be surprised if the crane rises before mid Feb. Absolutely nothing progressing yet on the suites. Weirdest job ever. My guess is they’re waiting til warm weather to cut labor and heating losses due to the cold but that’s just a guess.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 6:55 PM

The skywalk is closed and everyone knows it. I walked through there yesterday with no jacket, knowing that. There were loads of people wearing the jackets in the skywalk for that reason. Plan ahead. It's not really a big deal to wear your jacket at least.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 7:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
I’m on the ground here every day. I’ll answer what I can to the best of my knowledge. Maybe this time don’t jump all over me for giving info that you maybe don’t like.

Skywalk area IS undergoing significant structural adjustments to tie it into the building. There is no way there will be any kind of access until it’s done due to overhead crane hazards, general construction hazards, lack of fire alarm functioning, and risk of unwanted intrusion. Just in time for summer sounds likely.

There is very little going on around here. Electrical, mechanical, and structural only at current. The only non-structural action happening is on floors beneath 3. Crews are very small. I would be surprised if the crane rises before mid Feb. Absolutely nothing progressing yet on the suites. Weirdest job ever. My guess is they’re waiting til warm weather to cut labor and heating losses due to the cold but that’s just a guess.
Considering the thing stopped rising back in August sometime can we officially call this a stalled project?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 7:57 PM

Nah, they're still going. Just slowly. Hollow core is going in right now.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Considering the thing stopped rising back in August sometime can we officially call this a stalled project?
They are putting down hollow core as we speak.

Reminds me of: "the news of my death is greatly exaggerated."

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 8:03 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
You missed the most important part - "structural" work is on going. It's still being built, so whether or not the interior is getting finished out at this point is pretty minor.

I can't imagine they would be doing much interior fit-out at this early stage anyhow. The bottom floors of the tower would need to be enclosed first.

Structure first. Interior finishes later.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 8:05 PM

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 8:21 PM
What could go wrong?

There will be a partial opening of the tower while construction is ongoing. I believe it will be the first 21 floors (can't remember the exact floor number). I don't think this is that uncommon in taller towers.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan