HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Plus the 40 storey tower with Earl's.
That part worked out better!

I understand that the footprint of 300 Main will be far smaller than the hulking tower that was originally envisioned. I wonder if that leaves room for another small building at the base? Let's say a 4 or 5 storey commercial building right at the corner of Fort and Graham?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 1:20 PM

random thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

Plus the 40 storey tower with Earl's.
Is there any guess as to what will become of the old earls once it moves?
I'm also assuming those surface lots aren't going anywhere anytime soon, rite?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 1:43 PM

that roof should be a green roof. huge missed opportunity.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 2:33 PM

Next:

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 2:46 PM

I believe the core was raised another level. They were pouring concrete yesterday.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 5:54 PM

It has raised. It was at 5 exposed floors below hoarding, now at 6 by my count.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 5:58 PM

Where's the steel?!?!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Where's the steel?!?!
Patience, young grasshopper. The steel will come. Just not as soon as everyone hopes. The core needs to go up a few more levels or else the steel would just catch it right away.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoots82 View Post
that roof should be a green roof. huge missed opportunity.
It's been said that 330 was designed to be able to add a few more floors down the road if warranted (I know, last time that was 40 years). So maybe that changes what they're able to do there.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 1:02 PM

^ Wouldn't it be easier to just build a single storey building and then demolish it and rebuild if the need ever arises for more? It's hard to believe you could save any money by building a single storey, steel-framed building reinforced for more floors, not knowing if the need for them would ever materialize.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 2:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Wouldn't it be easier to just build a single storey building and then demolish it and rebuild if the need ever arises for more? It's hard to believe you could save any money by building a single storey, steel-framed building reinforced for more floors, not knowing if the need for them would ever materialize.
Not sure what the current piles can support but im sure if we had a residential boom they could with todays technology drive larger piles in amd at least get a 20 storie steel structure there. Be even nicer if it was set back and faced Fort.

And add the green roof like was mentioned earlier.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 2:39 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Unless they're planning on doing it for sure. Which I suppose is encouraging?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 2:50 PM

^ If they were planning on doing it for sure, why wouldn't they just build the additional levels now?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 5:42 PM

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 6:13 PM

I snapped this picture to give an idea of how 330 Main is coming along from street level. It by no means a dominating structure but it does eliminate that sense that the west side of the street was just an empty, windswept void for several blocks.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 6:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I snapped this picture to give an idea of how 330 Main is coming along from street level. It by no means a dominating structure but it does eliminate that sense that the west side of the street was just an empty, windswept void for several blocks.

To me it looks like any big box store. You could slap a Best Buy on there and youd never know the diff.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 6:35 PM

I heard Earls plans on retaining the land and finding someone who wants to develop it, but that likely wouldn't start for 5+ years, until after they're moved in and settled. This will be a massive project for them, relocating one of their (at one time) flagship locations. There will be a huge PR and marketing campaign around it, and they want to bring it back to its former signature location status.

Will be exciting to see what they come up with. They've been really good about making every location unique for the last 10+ years, and have really stepped it up the last 5 with the Ontario/US expansion. The new flagship Boston location is nothing short of stunning. Their design team now works with local artists in each location to produce spectacular one-of-a-kind pieces.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 6:56 PM

Been travelling a lot so not sure if it was mentioned (I think I'm caught up), but Hallmark closed in Winnipeg Square. That's a big space to fill. Also, is the space that's been boarded up for a while across from the new TD being held for something 300 Main-related? Haven't see any for lease signs on it.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I heard Earls plans on retaining the land and finding someone who wants to develop it, but that likely wouldn't start for 5+ years, until after they're moved in and settled. This will be a massive project for them, relocating one of their (at one time) flagship locations. There will be a huge PR and marketing campaign around it, and they want to bring it back to its former signature location status.

Will be exciting to see what they come up with. They've been really good about making every location unique for the last 10+ years, and have really stepped it up the last 5 with the Ontario/US expansion. The new flagship Boston location is nothing short of stunning. Their design team now works with local artists in each location to produce spectacular one-of-a-kind pieces.
Sorry for multiple posts, but with Graham "Winnipeg booming" (bustling?), changes coming to Fort/Garry, 300/330 Main, Richardson plaza renos, Earls moving, Forks developments, RT discussions etc etc.... Is it not the perfect time for the city to be doing a much larger downtown traffic/transit/development study, focused around P&M?

Like if there's going to be any sweeping changes to the area (which there needs to be) and big upgrades to transit... kinda seems like the perfect time to be doing it.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 4:29 PM

A whole lot of scaffolding just went up on the west side of the elevator core.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan