HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 8:46 PM

Changing the subject back to 300 Main...still no sign of a spot forming for where the tower crane to go.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 8:53 PM

^^^True but at least we're seeing some activity.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 9:14 PM

The crane will be anchored to those elevator shafts, id say that is site prep for the crane.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
The crane will be anchored to those elevator shafts, id say that is site prep for the crane.
The would put the base of the crane two stories up. That doesn't make sense?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 9:43 PM

Maybe it'll start in the basement levels and extend up through the mall? Sounds like there was a plan from the start 40 years ago, that this is where a crane would go. Maybe I'm wrong.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
And how can they continue building the elevator shafts upwards if the crane is sitting right on top of them? Unless you mean the crane will be lowered to the bottom of the elevator shaft and anchored there? Doesn't make sense that they wouldn't have done this to begin with.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
And how can they continue building the elevator shafts upwards if the crane is sitting right on top of them? Unless you mean the crane will be lowered to the bottom of the elevator shaft and anchored there? Doesn't make sense that they wouldn't have done this to begin with.
From this article:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...416191744.html

Quote:
"They have just finalized all of the engineering (plans) for how to deal with all of the ducting and ventilation for the food court tenants," Sherlock said. "It was a very complicated feat of engineering."

He said the engineers had to figure out the design for the podium portion of the new tower, which will house the lobby and likely a restaurant and other amenities.

They had to figure out where to place the overhead crane that will be used during the construction phase.

It will be placed on top of the elevator shaft that had been installed for one of the office towers that was never built.

"It’s a lot more complicated when you’re building over an occupied building, as opposed to just starting from scratch," Sherlock said.

"But on the plus side, we don’t have to build a parkade... and the columns and elevator shafts are there already. We’re really starting above grade on the construction, so once it gets going, it will go fast."

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 11:49 PM

The wording there "on top of" an elevator shaft that was never built, makes me think maybe it'll actually go on the SW part of the complex, close to Fort.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The wording there "on top of" an elevator shaft that was never built, makes me think maybe it'll actually go on the SW part of the complex, close to Fort.
The elevator shaft was originally built up through the parkade and to concourse level but the public has never seen it because it was been walled in (the closed in space in the food court). I think the words were misquoted by the FP and that the crane will be mounted to the BOTTOM of the elevator shaft. That's the only thing that kinda make sense since there has been no prep work elsewhere on the site for the crane. It takes a while to build a crane base (which from what I see in google pictures) is always anchored in the ground and not on top of a roof.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 6:33 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
The elevator shaft was originally built up through the parkade and to concourse level but the public has never seen it because it was been walled in (the closed in space in the food court). I think the words were misquoted by the FP and that the crane will be mounted to the BOTTOM of the elevator shaft. That's the only thing that kinda make sense since there has been no prep work elsewhere on the site for the crane. It takes a while to build a crane base (which from what I see in google pictures) is always anchored in the ground and not on top of a roof.
u can anchor them to the sides of a a wall
inside a shaft or on the outside
or a supporting wall somewhere on the structure like they did on burj dubi

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 7:28 PM
What could go wrong?

There are different ways to attach a tower crane...

111 Wacker - Chicago

One World Trade Centre
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 9:18 PM

[QUOTE=Biff;8255903]There are different ways to attach a tower crane...

Probably neither one of those ways have ever been done in Wpg.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 1:15 PM
What could go wrong?

The 111 Wacker in Chicago was fairly unique in that they built that massive concrete platform on the side of the building and demolished it when construction was complete.

The cranes on One World Trade Centre are more common.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 5:06 PM
Starring as himself

The second one is the usual way in Toronto. The one huge condo that was built right across from my work over the last few years - which I used to watch from my office - had a big crane and a little crane on top. Big crane for hoisting stuff up from the ground, little one for moving things around on the floor currently under construction.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 5:46 PM

So if theyre putting it on the elevator shaft, does that mean it will resemble the second picture? As in they will move the cranes up with the building?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The 111 Wacker in Chicago was fairly unique in that they built that massive concrete platform on the side of the building and demolished it when construction was complete.

The cranes on One World Trade Centre are more common.
Another name for those cranes is a 'kangaroo crane' some hydraulic lift that pushes the bottom of the crane up? I think there was a youtube video on that for the WTC cranes. Luffer crane is the proper name i believe. Thatll probably be used for this tower.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 7:07 AM

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 7:54 PM

Those 42nd floor balconies are going to be quite something.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 1:53 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

If the hollowcore extends outwards to make up the balconies, what do they do for a thermal break?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 1:37 PM

So last I promised was the crane up on July 23rd. Did anybody see a crane tower in the ditch somewhere along the Perimeter?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan