HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 9:33 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I don't think they really care... keeping the area as it is, for better or for worse, appears to be their sole priority.
That's sort of what I was trying to articulate. Which is why you walk along streets in parts of St B and you feel transported to a near rural setting, despite being a 15 minute walk from the Forks.

It's just so strange that parts of the neighbourhood seem frozen in time and not in a good way. I'm starting to lose faith that Provencher will ever have any new exciting projects to liven up the area. Could you imagine how vastly better the strip would be with all the surface lots filled and a boutique hotel somewhere? It could become a really happening place.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Apr 18, 2020, 3:36 PM

At some point the city needs to just ignore then crazies in St. B and do what's right. Hold the consultations, "hear" the complaints, then just make proper city planning decisions. Enough is enough already.

Provencher has insane potential, should be lined with 10 more Place Joseph Royals. I do think though that whatever the transit solution ends up being there, it will be a perfect opportunity for the city to completely transform the public realm of the street – and with that, invite more suitable developments. The street is kind of unpleasant to walk right now, very windy and open. New streetscaping should try and account for all the extra wind that comes off the river area.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 1:18 PM

don't think I've seen this on here, 513 St Jean Baptiste, which is close to University St. Boniface and the St.B Hospital.

http://513stjeanbaptiste.com/

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 9:30 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
don't think I've seen this on here, 513 St Jean Baptiste, which is close to University St. Boniface and the St.B Hospital.

http://513stjeanbaptiste.com/
Looks really nice. Whenever it becomes time to move from Waterfront Drive and into North St. B I really hope to do it by building something very much like this and taking one of the units.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
Looks really nice. Whenever it becomes time to move from Waterfront Drive and into North St. B I really hope to do it by building something very much like this and taking one of the units.
Needs more windows.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 2:06 PM

I would assume there will be neighbours immediately next door, hence the lack of windows on the side.

I think this type of setup will be a more common site in the area. I know theres another similar project in the works on Bertrand.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 4:19 PM

Can't remember if this was posted before. The next development on Tache at Grandin. Similar to the previous ones, except I think a bit taller and has units that open to the street. Which is nicer than the dead zones of the previous developments.

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/perm...00605(RM)RC-29

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 6:47 PM

Great development, that area is slowly getting to be really awesome. Too bad the river-side one feel through due to like one NIMBY. Hopefully Provencher gets the transit and streetscaping love it needs soon and we see more commercial development.

Curious peoples thoughts on including commercial at some of these buildings. I personally think there should be at least some requirement for commercial along Tache, as it becomes a local high street and faces the river.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 7:08 PM

Commercial on Tache would've been awesome. Too bad the earlier developments are so bunker like.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 1:46 PM

keep commercial to Provencher, it's a very short WALK to get there. there's lots capacity all along Provencher for retail.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 1:51 PM

By commercial all I would've hoped or would be a CRU or 2 in the main floor of these residential developments. On the Tache facing side. Maybe an ice cream shop, coffee shop, arcade, or something like that. Financial feasibility would be another question.

Didn't happen anyways, so moot point.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
By commercial all I would've hoped or would be a CRU or 2 in the main floor of these residential developments. On the Tache facing side. Maybe an ice cream shop, coffee shop, arcade, or something like that. Financial feasibility would be another question.

Didn't happen anyways, so moot point.
Totally agree. The city could make a rule to force inclusion though, so it's not really moot... eventually all the old houses on Tache will be replaced with MFR.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
keep commercial to Provencher, it's a very short WALK to get there. there's lots capacity all along Provencher for retail.
Agreed. Better to strengthen the existing high street, Provencher, than to undermine it by trying to create another high street nearby. We already have a problem downtown in which storefront retail is way too dispersed, no need to replicate that in St. B.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Totally agree. The city could make a rule to force inclusion though, so it's not really moot... eventually all the old houses on Tache will be replaced with MFR.
Force? drive down st. anne's or corydon or provencher or portage and look at the empty storefront/retail and i'm not talking about just Covid related. no one should be forced to add street level CRU when developing when there's dozens of places nearby.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 4:03 PM

Looks like the auto body shop by the Nicolett Inn may be transformed into an insurance office/co-work space?

https://www.atlrg.ca/pmc-insurance

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 4:36 PM

They did a decent job covering up the old building.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 5:50 AM

Construction has wrapped up, this development is now leasing.

NOTRE TERRACE
Developer: Ironclad Developments Inc.
Architects:
Renderings & Construction pics:https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...1&postcount=89
Description: 5-storey, 78 unit multi-family residential infill development in Old St. Boniface, replacing existing commercial warehouse/junk yard.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 6:13 AM

Building is now Leasing.

LA MAISON
Developer: Progressive Real Estate
Architects: Affinity Architecture Inc.
Contractor:
Description: A 4-storey multi-family residential building complete with 20 residential units, two dwelling units at-grade with parking located at the rear of the building.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 6:32 AM
Back from the dead

So, I've been away from Winnipeg for 11 years and I've just returned. Honestly, the changes are amazing. So much redevelopment in St. Boniface and, from what I've seen so far, across the city, that it has seriously changed the look and feel of neighborhoods (with emphasis on St. B of course)

So much negativity has been replaced with much more positive energy about the city. I'm exceptionally impressed by all of it.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
So, I've been away from Winnipeg for 11 years and I've just returned. Honestly, the changes are amazing. So much redevelopment in St. Boniface and, from what I've seen so far, across the city, that it has seriously changed the look and feel of neighborhoods (with emphasis on St. B of course)

So much negativity has been replaced with much more positive energy about the city. I'm exceptionally impressed by all of it.
So often it takes the view from people who are from or have been living outside the city to give us some positive perspective. Thanks for posting this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan