HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
Yeah not great. I'll say this, it's better than a blank wall but overall I like the building
A blank wall the entire length of the Locust-facing facade with a mural would have been 1,000 times better than this. Couldn't because they needed the windows for the hotel rooms.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 11:44 AM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
A blank wall the entire length of the Locust-facing facade with a mural would have been 1,000 times better than this. Couldn't because they needed the windows for the hotel rooms.
LOL Trying to be positive. It's pretty bad. I like the folded north wall. I have not seen it and the materials in person.

Last edited by SEFTA; Jan 7, 2020 at 12:01 PM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 2:44 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
With the prices people paid at 500 Walnut, outcome should have been better than "very good".

Also, I'd argue it's incredibly mediocre. It looks like a suburban office park building.

Time for Cecil and friends to to hang up their hats. There used to be something tasteful and timeless about his style. Now it's just geometric panels...and in dated configurations from day one.

The only (Philly based) architects doing interesting and/or high quality work in Philly at this point that I can think of are ISA, Canno, and QB3. For a while, I would have had Kiernan Timberlake on that list, but their style is stuck in a time warp and seems to have stopped evolving.

I'd rather work go to outside firms until this folks up their game or prove me wrong.
I hear you loud and clear and share in the sentiments, especially when I've seen awesome designs in NYC, Shanghai, London, etc...it makes Philly pale in comparison. And, I'm not sure why local architects want to short change Philly in design as a major US city and a popular city with tourists from abroad. Maybe we skyscraper nerds are more critical and care more about appearances of a design, and it's not even our profession or namesake on the design.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
I hear you loud and clear and share in the sentiments, especially when I've seen awesome designs in NYC, Shanghai, London, etc...it makes Philly pale in comparison. And, I'm not sure why local architects want to short change Philly in design as a major US city and a popular city with tourists from abroad. Maybe we skyscraper nerds are more critical and care more about appearances of a design, and it's not even our profession or namesake on the design.
From the little that I've heard consistently down through the years has been that clients in Philly have to be very gently walked through the design process with much hand holding every step of the way if the design is going to be anything other then the cut and paste stuff we're used to seeing. (Of course theres some clients like Comcast and Penn that will automatically go for the high priced spread)

If that's true then it must get very tiring to do that over and over when so many architects are successful and seem very content to have their work be cash for trash. I'd be the first to agree that a low to normal budget doesn't have to mean low to middling design, but its a lot of work to pull off a good design especially if the client doesn't care.

I doubt that outfits like PMC care very much about the design of their buildings, as long as its 'OK' and doesn't threaten potential renters and is generally cheap and easy to build. I doubt they would be willing to spend 1% more on design even if construction costs were the same but the end result looked great and won awards. And nobody else is pushing them to do differently.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 2:28 AM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Agreed. I think renters care more about location and amenities above all else, especially the new bldgs where roof top decks and pools or gardens, a spin room and gym, game room, movie room etc., are common amenities nowadays. Seems to be the trend and go to playbook for them. And landlords know that this is what gets people to rent when they offer amenities as opposed to some above average design that should be considered as more of a long term goal of its portfolio and selling points of ideal location and iconic bldg...

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 8:28 PM

De-evolution of Man Building:

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 9:10 PM

In the best recent tradition of designing three of four sides (cf. The W). Gosh, a little brick would've gone a long way on the south facade.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 9:33 PM

On the other hand you can't accuse it of compeatnig for attention with the Church

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 10:22 PM

^It's like some schlub turning up at a formal dinner in a t-shirt and shorts. He's going to stand out.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 2:11 AM
Philly Rising Up!

^^^
The 1st and 2nd photos from Jawn's set that shows the side of the Hyatt facing the church is truly awful. You can see all the surrounding old masonry buildings and then this thing is just smack in the middle of all the bldgs-looking fake and cheap because of the poor choice of cladding. SMH.

Last edited by iheartphilly; Mar 4, 2020 at 2:43 AM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 5:03 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^^^
The 1st and 2nd photos from Jawn's set that shows the side of the Hyatt facing the church is truly awful. You can see all the surrounding old masonry buildings and then this thing is just smack in the middle of all the bldgs-looking fake and cheap because of the poor choice of cladding. SMH.
+1 You'd think they would create a design that FITS the area.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 1:01 AM

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 2:39 PM

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBnDUzqn3mZ/

^Hey, the building is total ass, but that rooftop bar/lounge will have a great view.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 5:27 PM

It's actually not bad from the North side/Walnut Street facing side... but yeah the South side/Locust Street facing side SUCKS!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 6:23 PM

I like all sides of this one, but it's not nearly as nice as the Centric we're getting in Austin. The dark brick is really nice.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 12:31 PM

Saturday:

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 10:23 PM

Yesterday. It looks even worse in person.

Last edited by steve_phl; Jul 22, 2020 at 10:36 PM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 10:56 AM

Congrats to the architects for designing a building that looks like it was built in the early 1960s and re-skinned in the late 1990s. Still better than a parking garage, but geez.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
Congrats to the architects for designing a building that looks like it was built in the early 1960s and re-skinned in the late 1990s. Still better than a parking garage, but geez.
haha so true

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 3:09 PM

This is pretty much COMPLETE.

I know it's not everyone's favorite, but it does actually look pretty sharp from Walnut Street, and it's much better than what was there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/grea...elphiaplanners

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive