HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 9:07 PM
Modulator

Noticed construction at both Eco PHX and Knipe Village office are both in full swing today. So it looks like they will survive the Covid-19 chopping block.

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 9:09 PM

Too much money already tied up to bail now.

I'm relying on you all to update me on this stuff now, moved my office close to home a couple weeks ago. Probably won't be downtown very often.

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 9:17 PM

Just stumbled upon the fact finding to put a Goodwill Urban Concept store into the old Desoto Market building. I hadn't realized that this was being considered.

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 9:18 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Too much money already tied up to bail now.

I'm relying on you all to update me on this stuff now, moved my office close to home a couple weeks ago. Probably won't be downtown very often.
Just when all the traffic lightened up

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 9:23 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalzonie View Post
Just stumbled upon the fact finding to put a Goodwill Urban Concept store into the old Desoto Market building. I hadn't realized that this was being considered.

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
no kidding. Didn't they get our memo that we wanted an O.H.S.O. Brewery there?? what a disappointment...

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 9:39 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Six weeks ago I would have lamented that news as a tragic underutilization of the building. Now, I’m thinking that thrift stores are the type of retail that will thrive in current circumstances, and packed dance clubs will be among the last business to come back to life.

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Just when all the traffic lightened up

Just walked home to enjoy a nice lunch, leaving the car in the garage all day is pretty nice!

A Goodwill (Urban Concept is a nice buzzword) would likely do great things for the walk-ability of the neighborhood. Those stores will draw people from all over and with a lack of parking it will almost undoubtedly increase foot traffic in the immediate vicinity. If other businesses benefit from it then I approve.

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
no kidding. Didn't they get our memo that we wanted an O.H.S.O. Brewery there?? what a disappointment...
What about the old Auto Shop building next door?

Tbh, the idea of an “urban concept” Goodwill is growing. Everyone laments the lack of shopping downtown and this could a good way to start.

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 10:15 PM
Modulator

Quote:

Just walked home to enjoy a nice lunch, leaving the car in the garage all day is pretty nice!

A Goodwill (Urban Concept is a nice buzzword) would likely do great things for the walk-ability of the neighborhood. Those stores will draw people from all over and with a lack of parking it will almost undoubtedly increase foot traffic in the immediate vicinity. If other businesses benefit from it then I approve.
Normally, I would approve. However, I am a very big Goodwill shopper and go several times per week even just to look at what people have donated (you never know what you'll find). However, I have seen my fair share of homeless, thieves and whatnot at most local Goodwill stores. Just the other day, my girlfriend found a small bag of white powder laying on the floor which we promptly reported. With most of Roosevelt Row on the swing upwards, I'm not sure a Goodwill is the best choice for this location. I would be OK with one closer to the 7's. But I feel the former DeSoto can get better...not too mention, a waste of patio space on the corner. Not sure what they will do with that aside from an occasional sidewalk sale.

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Here is the plan review link:

http://apps-secure.phoenix.gov/PDD/S...Number=2009575

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 12:50 AM

Quote:
This is awful. So sad what's happened with all of this. Really setting us back a decade now.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
This is awful. So sad what's happened with all of this. Really setting us back a decade now.
The only solace I can find in putting a goodwill store here is the hope that they build a goodwill boutique store like they did in New York City, although that store has since closed. Hopefully they can add a small coffee shop and bakery in all that space as well. With the “hipster” or “vintage” look being so popular these days, this might be the perfect fit. But if it is a regular goodwill store, I will be extremely disappointed as well.

Here’s what the boutique store in New York was like: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bus...s-2018-7%3famp

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 1:32 AM

Hopefully with it being Roosevelt, they will make it kitchy.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 2:21 AM

Google "wicker park thrift stores" and check out some links. Thrift stores will create for traffic and play a vibrant role in a city. Even Mill avenue used to be the urban capital of AZ and had thrift stores. Kids love them.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 5:03 AM

Wow, it was suppose to be a club and now a Goodwill? WTH happened, this is nuts.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
Wow, it was suppose to be a club and now a Goodwill? WTH happened, this is nuts.
It is crazy. Not opposed to a Goodwill but there are plenty of other buildings on Central that would be more appropriate. Now we have both the Westward Ho and De Soto, two of the best buildings in the city that will forever not reach their potential.

I also agree this will draw more homeless and drugs to an area that was just overcoming alot of those issues and they want to plot this right in the middle of Roosevelt Row? I hope the community fights this.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 3:35 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
It is crazy. Not opposed to a Goodwill but there are plenty of other buildings on Central that would be more appropriate. Now we have both the Westward Ho and De Soto, two of the best buildings in the city that will forever not reach their potential.

I also agree this will draw more homeless and drugs to an area that was just overcoming alot of those issues and they want to plot this right in the middle of Roosevelt Row? I hope the community fights this.
Plus 1 on this. DeSoto is in one of the best locations a business could find on Roosevelt and it deserves a little something better. So what if an EDM club didn't work out. A micro-brewery there would hit it out of the ballpark and probably be the best location for one in Downtown.

Boutique or urban or whatever Goodwill wants to call it, it's still a Goodwill and it will introduce riff-raff and theft problems to the area.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 4:13 PM

Guys, it's a city not an upscale playground for millennial to get drunk and play cornhole.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Guys, it's a city not an upscale playground for millennial to get drunk and play cornhole.
I guess I see if differently than you do. I really wanted Track Club to succeed. The reason for that is it would have been nice for downtown PHX to not only have an upscale club, but to tap into that Scottsdale market and hope to bring some more bodies downtown where we SHOULD have more of an urban nightlife experience than one of our suburbs has. These suburbs often pull much opportunity away from downtown PHX (I'm sure there are other factors involved as well) that it would be nice to start pulling back.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest