HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Soho Italia in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 6, 2013, 3:51 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Azure Westboro [2070 Scott St] | 83.4m | 25f | U/C

EJ Spa Corporation has made an application to construct a five-storey office building with potential ground-floor retail space. The proposed building will be oriented towards Scott Street and will be set back from Churchill Avenue to provide possible outdoor amenity space. The building will be set back at the fifth storey in order to decrease the visual scale and the impact of shadows on adjacent properties. The building will have a maximum height of 20 metres, and a gross floor area of 6,010 square metres. A total of 140 vehicular parking spaces are proposed in an underground parking facility to be accessed from Winona Avenue, and 25 bicycle parking spaces are proposed at grade. Landscaping will be provided around the perimeter of the site. The architect is COLE+Associates.

The site is bounded by Churchill Avenue on the west, Scott Street on the north, and Winona Avenue on the east. It was occupied by a two-storey office building with associated surface parking on the west side of the site (home of WeightWatchers). The balance of the site was occupied by a former Auto Repair shop and surface parking lot (Bob Peter's Garage). Demolition of these structures is complete and the site is now cleared.

Development docs:
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__9JN4ZG

Streetview:
http://goo.gl/maps/OtTsl

Site:

Renderings:

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Oct 29, 2019 at 10:54 AM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2013, 4:35 PM
Still optimistic

DoubleDoublePostPost

Old Posted Oct 6, 2013, 4:36 PM
Still optimistic

Meh. It lacks any real interaction with the street. Bring it right up to the sidewalk, have actual storefronts, then we'll talk 😉

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 1:39 AM

Yawn. Those upper floors look like shit.

Somewhere, a high school wants its upper floors back. Of course, I'm used to seeing condo proposals on this site, so the plain-janeness of this is a little jarring.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 4:28 AM

Bleh... That's all I have to say.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 1:08 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
Meh. It lacks any real interaction with the street. Bring it right up to the sidewalk, have actual storefronts, then we'll talk 😉
They could flip the trees and the sidewalk around and that would improve matters right away, though the sidewalk is practically brand new.

Disappointing to me is the lack of use of the topography for anything other than facilitating the garage access on Winona. The northeast corner for instance could have an entrance area on a 45° angle (i.e. roughly facing towards Westboro Station) with a high ceiling and a "mezzanine" level that is actually the ground floor on Churchill.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 10:53 AM
National Capital Region

23 floor proposal from Azure Urban Developments

https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__BOLOIG

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 12:05 PM

Spotting the errors that make their way into these planning docs is always a fun game to play at home. In the design brief, the locations of schools indicated on Figure 2 are ... what’s the word? Creative? Westboro Station labeled repeatedly as “CRT Station.”

... Your turn

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 12:08 PM

The new proposal looks amazing, though I have little faith it will be built as currently shown.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 1:30 PM

Wow this does look great. Finally someone comes forward with a little cladding pizzaz.

I'm confused, in the design brief they reference brick arches several times, but there are none in the design. That's the only thing missing.

Also, is this condos or rentals? The windows say rentals.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 1:59 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

2070 Scott St | 72m | 23f | Proposed

Azure Urban Developments is proposing to construct a 23-storey mixed-use building with 241 residential units and 434 m2 of at grade retail uses at 2070 Scott Street. The building steps back at various floors to provide transition to the adjacent residential street Winona Avenue.

The tower portion of the building is the most northern edge of the site while providing a step-back at the second floor and another step-at the sixth floor on the south side of the building to provide a 7.5 metre setback from the tower to the adjacent residential property on Winona Avenue.

The development would have a total of 241 residential units and 516 m2 of retail space at grade facing Churchill Avenue and Scott Street. The residential units are broken down between: 86 1-bedroom, 16 1-bedroom + den, 23 2-bedroom, 53 2-bedroom + den, 26 3-bedroom, 34 studio’s, and 3 townhouses. The ground floor of the building will include a lobby, co-work/play space, garbage and moving room, townhouse units and retail spaces.

The development proposes a total of 144 parking spaces, provided in four levels of underground parking with access to the ramp for the underground parking facility located off Winona Avenue. The ramp is covered and is located opposite the underground parking ramp for 323 Winona Avenue, east of the site, to reduce traffic conflicts. Bicycle parking will be provided in a convenient location in the garage, providing 123 spaces; two additional parking spaces for the retail uses will be provided on the surface outside the building. The design provides for a total of 1,446 m2 of amenity space for the development. There is a communal outdoor ‘rooftop’ amenity area located on the sixth floor, of approximately 90 m2 and 90 m2 of indoor communal amenity space. There is space on the ground floor at the corner of Churchill and Scott for a plaza for retail uses. This corner plaza will provide a strong design statement at grade. Landscaping is proposed along Churchill, Scott and Winona Avenue to provide natural drainage and animate the pedestrian experience.

Development application:
https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__BOLOIG

Siteplan:

Renderings:

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 2:13 AM
National Capital Region

Designed by Quadrangle
https://www.quadrangle.ca/portfolio

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 5:09 AM

I find it absolutely unacceptable that a building not designed by Roderick Lahey is being considered for Ottawa. It's completely lacking in homogeneous brick squares and pedestrian architecture. What is this developer thinking?! Do they think this is Calgary or Toronto?!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 2:30 PM
inner city

I think the renderings look great. I just hope the finished product doesn't get too cost-cut and end up looking like a basic college residence like Hintonburg Connection up the street!
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=205193&page=4

What are our odds?!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 2:37 PM

Wow, 26 3-bedroom units! If this is built as proposed, it could very well be the best development along the Confederation Line, or anywhere in the city really. Knowing the City of Ottawa (i.e. Watson and his crew) however, they might not approve it since this BC developer is not a contributor to their political campaigns. A bit of a Mizrahi situation.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 4:50 PM

Looks pretty promising - will definitely keep an eye on this one.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 5:07 PM

Yet another Westboro station proposal! Not including the U/C tower next to Farm Boy, I think we're now up to 5 proposals. By the time Phase 2 opens Westboro could have its own skyline.

I live in the immediate area and I welcome it. Some people think that putting rapid transit next to Scott Street instead of Richmond/Wellington was a mistake, but in this area its working well. The two streets aren't very far apart, it's an easy walk between Westboro or Dominion stations and the Richmond Road "village" area, and by having that distance, it means the Richmond Road strip is protected from development and can retain its village feel while all the high rises go a few minutes walk to the north. It's a near-perfect TOD situation.

The Phase 2 Westboro LRT station fixes a lot of the existing problems with the station; it gets rid of the huge parking lot in the front and replaces the awkward crosswalks at Athlone and Tweedsmuir with real intersections, enhacing the pedestrian integration of the station into the community.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
it gets rid of the huge parking lot in the front
Whats happening to the parking lot?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR-OTT View Post
Whats happening to the parking lot?
It's being replaced with a plaza and widened sidewalk:

Note that there's now proper sidewalks on both sides and the beg-button crosswalks on Tweedsmuir and Athlone replaced with proper intersections.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Wow, 26 3-bedroom units!

Saw that too and was quite impressed that they're targeting average sized families here. Probably will be expensive as hell, but it's a start and hopefully other developers follow suit

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa