HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Is this development on the east side or west side of the bridge over the Thames?
This is all to the west, in the county. There is also development in the city to the east of the bridge, where the west phase of Riverbend is (not sure if it's officially Riverbend or what they are calling it, but it will all be connected at some point). The road that splits off and goes to Delaware has been extended north into this new area.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 12:17 AM

It's called Eagle Ridge and lots are being built now.

West Kain thread is on this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
This is all to the west, in the county. There is also development in the city to the east of the bridge, where the west phase of Riverbend is (not sure if it's officially Riverbend or what they are calling it, but it will all be connected at some point). The road that splits off and goes to Delaware has been extended north into this new area.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 4:29 PM

In a funny sort of way London is developing a greenbelt similar to Ottawa with all this development in Komoka/Kilworth. London has its Urban Growth Boundary which effectively prevents new development west of the Delaware turnoff west to city limits, but there's the new development east of the turnoff (Eagle Ridge and Riverbend), and of course the new development to the west in Middlesex County.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
In a funny sort of way London is developing a greenbelt similar to Ottawa with all this development in Komoka/Kilworth. London has its Urban Growth Boundary which effectively prevents new development west of the Delaware turnoff west to city limits, but there's the new development east of the turnoff (Eagle Ridge and Riverbend), and of course the new development to the west in Middlesex County.
There is a neighbourhood of very expensive homes being built up in the area to the west of the Delaware cutoff, to the east of Woodhull Rd (one house is listed for a bit over $2million right now). Kilworth Provincial Park is on the other side of the road to the river, so that prevents development there. The Eagle Ridge development will end less than half a mile to the city limit along Oxford, with basically Woodeden Easter Seals camp and a few homes in the space in between. Riverbend golf abuts the city limit over there. Looking along the north boundary, there is lots of areas being built up along the north side of Sunningdale that abuts the city limit. I don't think the Urban Growth Boundary really held up to what it was originally talked about as.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2020, 12:09 PM

The Glendon Drive corridor is being heavily developed right thru to Mt Bridges with large housing developments all along that stretch. Other then some natural areas like the river valley, Komoka provincial park and the gravel pit lakes this corridor will be home to thousands of new county residents. All the more reason the County needs to move up the widening to 4 lanes ASAP.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 12:59 PM

Looks like the Home Hardware Pro store is open and the houses and townhomes continue to go up.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
The Glendon Drive corridor is being heavily developed right thru to Mt Bridges with large housing developments all along that stretch. Other then some natural areas like the river valley, Komoka provincial park and the gravel pit lakes this corridor will be home to thousands of new county residents. All the more reason the County needs to move up the widening to 4 lanes ASAP.
London also needs to get cracking at widening Oxford Street out in that direction. It will not be in London’s interest to have a four-lane County Road 14 taper down to two lanes at city limits.

It would also be wise to look at the possibility of extending London Transit service out that way.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 10:46 AM

LTC does go to Riverbend, and I imagine as the neighbourhood to the west builds up, it will extend over that way. Who knows when the county is going to widen Glendon. They have talked about it but I don't think they have put any timeline on it, other than their "20 year plan" they talked about 2 years ago. I'm not sure who is responsible for the Kilworth bridge as that's going to be a very expensive job to twin that.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 6:36 PM

There is no reason why the LTC should extend into the county unless the county pays for it. The LTC is funded by Londoners and they should not be in the business of subsidising people in the county who want city services without the bother of having to pay for them.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 8:19 PM

What happen to this planned service? Did Covid19 kill it?

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...nal-bus-system

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
There is no reason why the LTC should extend into the county unless the county pays for it. The LTC is funded by Londoners and they should not be in the business of subsidising people in the county who want city services without the bother of having to pay for them.
For sure. I was referring to the area immediately west of Riverbend, which is still city. Wasn't sure if Manny knew the LTC served Riverbend or not. There were talks over the winter of various ideas of connecting the city with the outlying areas and possibly lining those options up with LTC. St Thomas talked about running their transit up to White Oaks Mall, and there were separate proposals from Sarnia to Strathroy and Mount Brydges into London, as well as Ingersoll.

Of course, the city could just annex Kilworth since most of those people work in London anyway. If we need to widen Oxford St for them, they should contribute through their taxes. I always laugh when I would hear the Millar Law commercial, where he talks about using a London law firm instead of these out of town firms that are advertising a lot here (taking direct shots at Diamond and Diamond). Funny Phil, last I looked, Diamond and Diamond has an office on Pall Mall St in downtown London, and your office is just outside the city limits in Kilworth. Maybe it's time if he doesn't come to the city that the city comes to him if he wants to play the "local" card.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
What happen to this planned service? Did Covid19 kill it?

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...nal-bus-system
Just saw a report on the news that a service is starting the first week of August. Not sure if it's this one specifically, but it mentioned Tillsonburg, Port Burwell and London.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
For sure. I was referring to the area immediately west of Riverbend, which is still city. Wasn't sure if Manny knew the LTC served Riverbend or not. There were talks over the winter of various ideas of connecting the city with the outlying areas and possibly lining those options up with LTC. St Thomas talked about running their transit up to White Oaks Mall, and there were separate proposals from Sarnia to Strathroy and Mount Brydges into London, as well as Ingersoll.

Of course, the city could just annex Kilworth since most of those people work in London anyway. If we need to widen Oxford St for them, they should contribute through their taxes. I always laugh when I would hear the Millar Law commercial, where he talks about using a London law firm instead of these out of town firms that are advertising a lot here (taking direct shots at Diamond and Diamond). Funny Phil, last I looked, Diamond and Diamond has an office on Pall Mall St in downtown London, and your office is just outside the city limits in Kilworth. Maybe it's time if he doesn't come to the city that the city comes to him if he wants to play the "local" card.
Yes, I was aware LTC went to River Bend.

I don’t see any reason why LTC couldn’t expand service beyond city limits, even if it meant users had to pay an extra fare. Kingston Transit has had a route out to Amherstview for decades (an area in a neighbouring township, not unlike Kilworth), and the TTC has several routes that go beyond Toronto’s limits (notably the recently completed Line 1 subway extension into Vaughan). There’s also the St. Thomas proposal mentioned above.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Yes, I was aware LTC went to River Bend.

I don’t see any reason why LTC couldn’t expand service beyond city limits, even if it meant users had to pay an extra fare. Kingston Transit has had a route out to Amherstview for decades (an area in a neighbouring township, not unlike Kilworth), and the TTC has several routes that go beyond Toronto’s limits (notably the recently completed Line 1 subway extension into Vaughan). There’s also the St. Thomas proposal mentioned above.
I don't have an issue if the LTC were to start serving Kilworth or Komoka or anywhere else. It has to make sense though. I think there are at least 2 cars in each garage or driveway in Kilworth Heights, how many people out there want to take the bus to wherever they work in London? A bus would take forever from Kilworth to downtown even if it was one bus, never mind a transfer. In 10 years, there are going to be a lot of people living along that stretch between the River the Komoka Rd. Could be a good market to tap for transit. Or maybe it wouldn't be, who knows.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 1:05 PM
User Registered

Just get London to Amalgamate these communities so they can start paying taxes? They'd get LTC service for that?

Kilworth, Komoka, Arva, Nilestown could be absorbed next.

...Or make London a regional municipality get even more communities involved too.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 6:19 PM

London does not need to annex these areas and all annexations by a larger centre are legally challenged by the municipalities they are overtaking. London won the last one against Westminster township but most decidedly would lose this one. They could not justify to a court such an annexation when massive swaths of the city in the southern end remain undeveloped.

What London should do is create a system similar to Calgary............the Calgary Regional Partnership. It attempts to cowordinate land use and transportation policies to ensure that growth in the metropolitan area is consistent and sustainable.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 7:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Calgary Regional Partnership. It attempts to cowordinate
It figures that Calgary (aka Cowtown) would want to cowordinate.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 10:43 PM

Was the last annexation a win for the city? As I recall, the city wanted Lambeth and the industrial areas along Exeter Rd and south of the 401 and maybe a concession road or 2 to the south of that. Instead, the town of Westminster (it wasn't a township anymore) argued there was no point in leaving the remaining pieces to them, there was no tax base left, and the province made the city take all of Westminster. We got what we wanted to the north as well as the airport into the city but I think in total, we got a lot more than we bargained for. But yeah, I think the province would be hard to convince to give us the neighbouring areas especially with the consolidated municipalities now (Middlesex Centre, Thames Centre etc).

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 1:36 PM

Don't forget that annexation also brought the landfill into the city. Sadly most of the former Westminster Township is unlikely to ever see development as nobody wants to live downwind of 3 waste management facilities. (London Landfill, Toronto's Landfill, and the diaper burning facility). You can count on the new London landfill also being located in the same area. Eventually it will be approved as the current one is running out of space. I doubt London will be able to buy a large chunk of land in the GTA to truck our waste too.

That's one of the main reasons all new housing developments are in the Northwest and North side of London. In places it has reached the city limits and will eventually be filled. The pressure will be on the county to approve developments across that line and you won't see a difference between London and Arva for example.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 2:11 PM
The Vomit Bag.

yeah, I think that now, after 15 years, it is only fair that the GTA get our garbage and diapers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates