HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
That’s exciting news!
Now we have to work on getting the western portion twinned through Crowsnest Pass. Oh, and finish the job east to Medicine Hat too.
Any idea how much will be left to twin after this?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 2:35 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

So there will still be 70 kms left between Burdette and Medicine Hat going east and 100 kms between Fort MacLeod and the BC border going west.

Here is a link with some info:
http://https://www.alberta.ca/highway-3-functional-planning-studies.aspx

After that it would be great if they could continue 4-laning Highway 3 through BC including a spur south to the border crossing at Kingsgate (Highway 95) and on to Interstate 90. Given that the TCH is still a long way from being twinned through BC I know this is a total pipe dream.

Last edited by craner; Jul 4, 2020 at 2:49 PM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 2:43 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

A bit of digression:
B.C. actually has quite a few (3?) disjoint sections of undivided 4 lanes of Crownest Highway between Hope and Penticton. I’d love to see it widened to 4 lanes all the way too.
=====
Woah the distance between Burdette and M.H. is long. Welp if the traffic light on TCH in Dunnmore (more like Done Less...) is up and running, it'll be a while before we can travel around M.H. free of lights.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 5:32 PM

Quote:
So there will still be 70 kms left between Burdette and Medicine Hat going east and 100 kms between Fort MacLeod and the BC border going west.

After that it would be great if they could continue 4-laning Highway 3 through BC including a spur south to the border crossing at Kingsgate (Highway 95) and on to Interstate 90. Given that the TCH is still a long way from being twinned through BC I know this is a total pipe dream.
Well of course I would say continue the 4 laning to Castlegar (3) and then south to Trail (22) and the Waneta border crossing.
No one lives in the Yahk area versus around 40 thousand people in the Castlegar Nelson Trail tricity area.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 8:21 PM

Quote:

Report sounded really good until I got to the part where they said twinning is warranted for one segment until 2037 and 2047 or later for two others. The overall cost to turn Highway 3 into a limited controlled access freeway in AB is estimated (Class A) at about $1.275 billion which includes a contingency of about $200 million and $100 million for engineering and testing. This is about what I figured it would cost. Not exactly a huge amount of money but likely too much for the government to finish the project in a reasonable amount of time.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 1:33 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Well of course I would say continue the 4 laning to Castlegar (3) and then south to Trail (22) and the Waneta border crossing.
No one lives in the Yahk area versus around 40 thousand people in the Castlegar Nelson Trail tricity area.
It doesn’t look like that connects to a primary highway on the American side of the border ?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 8:11 AM

https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...15ABD7F5543245

Some improvements to Highway 40. AT have been working quietly on this road for a long time now but it's still a dangerous drive - this and the twinning south of Grande Prairie are the latest in a long series of upgrading projects. Someday it will be a rival and alternative to Highway 93.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
https://fortsaskonline.com/local/cit...ast-all-summer

Work to widen Highway 15 through Fort Saskatchewan continues. I'm curious: A news article said that the signal (or signal phasing) at Highway 15 & Highway 21 is close to being maxed out. What can be done? A diamond interchange for Highway 21 - Highway 15? Or a 90-degree interchange for Highway 15 with ramps to and from Highway 21 and 94 Street?
The preferred scheme at the moment is a DDI - the other alternatives considered were a parclo, and at-grade diamond.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 6:21 AM

Quote:
It doesn’t look like that connects to a primary highway on the American side of the border ?
Ya better to go past Castlegar to Christina Lake then south on highway 395. Or upgrade the highway from Waneta to 395 at Kettle Falls.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 12:35 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Ya better to go past Castlegar to Christina Lake then south on highway 395. Or upgrade the highway from Waneta to 395 at Kettle Falls.
This is technically B.C., but it’ll be great to connect to one of those U.S. Routes, i.e. 93, 95, 395, or 97.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 4:34 PM

Quote:
This is technically B.C., but it’ll be great to connect to one of those U.S. Routes, i.e. 93, 95, 395, or 97.
Yes. And upgrades between the East and West Kootenay highway captains Cranbrook and Castlegar would be nice.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 9:27 PM

Has anyone been to Bragg Creek recently? Holy fuck they need to fix that fucking stop sign. Never seen a backup heading west as bad as it was today, must have been a km long.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Has anyone been to Bragg Creek recently? Holy fuck they need to fix that fucking stop sign. Never seen a backup heading west as bad as it was today, must have been a km long.
Apparently there is a design to fix that intersection. Hopefully the government will got on that sooner rather than later.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 4:48 PM

Doesn't seem like it would be very expensive, it's 2 roundabouts and it has been screwed for years, and is getting worse. Apparently the residents of Bragg Creek just know not to leave at certain times.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Apparently there is a design to fix that intersection. Hopefully the government will got on that sooner rather than later.
I always tried to avoid 22 in Bragg when My brother had a place there. That intersection has been bad for years. but seems to be worse now.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Doesn't seem like it would be very expensive, it's 2 roundabouts and it has been screwed for years, and is getting worse. Apparently the residents of Bragg Creek just know not to leave at certain times.
Just looking at google maps...if I was involved in that project, I'd want to fix that area altogether. Having that triangle of intersections so close together and the really bad angle of them isn't great, and this could be a chance to correct it into something cleaner and less likely to cause collisions.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Just looking at google maps...if I was involved in that project, I'd want to fix that area altogether. Having that triangle of intersections so close together and the really bad angle of them isn't great, and this could be a chance to correct it into something cleaner and less likely to cause collisions.
Afaik a lot of the land is reservation and inhibits a better fix.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Afaik a lot of the land is reservation and inhibits a better fix.
The reserve land is considerable as mentioned. That area I feel would be better suited to lights and not a round about. But the 2 intersection do screw things up a bit. I used to turn right into the village then continue on along the river at out on the west side of town. then come back onto 22 south of town.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 7:24 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://www.ponokanews.com/news/hwy-...ountain-house/
Interesting, AB-11's to be twinned up to Rocky Mountain House.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 9:10 PM

Quote:
https://www.ponokanews.com/news/hwy-...ountain-house/
Interesting, AB-11's to be twinned up to Rocky Mountain House.
Too bad they couldn't start work right now. Has the design work been completed?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 9:14 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I don’t know. The only thing I heard about AB-11 was that people wanted it extended to B.C.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia