HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 9:48 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
In the greatest news that has ever happened to the West Valley, White Claw Factory
I lost it at this. I've had one can of white claw and that last sip tasted like it had been open for three days...I can only wonder how long this bland seltzer crap will keep up.

Then again I'm an IPA and fernet guy so my tastebuds are made of titanium.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 3:24 PM

Wow!

MetroCenter actually getting some new development

Quote:
Construction is underway on a new Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton near Metrocenter Mall in Phoenix, a project that hotel and city officials hope will be a catalyst in the area thirsty for redevelopment.

The $15 million, four-story hotel will have 101 rooms. It will be one of the first Hampton Inns designed with the 2020 prototype, which incorporates advanced technological controls over air conditioning, lights, televisions and other amenities. Construction on the hotel, which began over the weekend, will take 12 to 14 months.

Dan Norville, president and founder of SiO Hotels, which has ownership in both the Hampton Inn & Suites under construction and the adjacent DoubleTree by Hilton, noted that the submarket has not seen very much new hotel construction during the past 20 years. As the DoubleTree continued to grow its occupancy, the need for an additional hotel became apparent.

Norville’s group bought the DoubleTree, then called the Metro Plaza Hotel, out of foreclosure in 2013, and has worked to grow occupancy rates since then. Lately has been in the 65% occupancy range, he said. The DoubleTree has undergone about $11 million in renovations since it was purchased.

Metrocenter’s U.S. Census tract was designated an “opportunity zone,” which gives preferential tax treatment to capital gains that are reinvested into developments in the zones. The group is using opportunity fund money to invest in the project.

Phoenix City Councilwoman Thelda Williams, whose district includes Metrocenter, said she was glad to see activity in the area.

“This is an area that is coming back, it is growing,” she said. “It’s so exciting to see this happening.”

The groundbreaking comes as the owner of nearby Metrocenter Mall is looking for a developer to buy the center, which has been rezoned to allow mixed-use development. The city of Phoenix’s economic development team said the redevelopment of the mall is a top priority for

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 3:36 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Wow!

MetroCenter actually getting some new development
With the planned LRT extension and station at Metrocenter, hopefully this is just the beginning of new development in the area. However, the mall itself is a ghost-town and only has a few operational stores left open. Even all the escalators are turned off. Wondering what can be done for the mall itself at this point?

Also, I think this falls under Phoenix development, doesn't it? To heck with Glendale. They deserve no credit for this!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 10:19 PM

Some News about the Ottawa University expansion:

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...st-valley.html

Quote:
With a $57 million construction project of Ottawa University's new Surprise campus completed, Kevin Eichner already is planning the next expansion phase.

Eichner, chancellor of Ottawa University, said he started the 2019 fall school year with 830 students on the campus, a 33% increase over the previous year.

The $19 million residential hall wasn't quite ready in time for the school year, which meant students were temporarily housed in local hotels and apartments until their rooms were ready by October, he said.

"We just completed our master plan for the remainder of the campus," Eichner said. "If I had to guess, probably the next building would be the library, student study center, and we need some additional athletic fields."

Eichner said he expects the 340-bed dorm to be nearly at full capacity this fall. He's also considering building student apartments instead of another residence hall.

The other two new facilities are the 98,000-square-foot O'Dell Center, which includes gymnasiums, weight rooms and locker rooms on the first floor; labs, classrooms and faculty offices on the second floor; and a press box and coaches offices on the third floor. The student union, which cost about $10 million to develop, houses a dining hall, student lounge and conference rooms and classrooms.

Architect for the residence hall and student union was Dallas-based HKS Architects, with Phoenix-based Wespac Construction Inc. as general contractor.

Architect for the O'Dell Center was Cawley Architects, while the contractor was Haydon Building Corp., both based in Phoenix.

Eichner said he expects to have 3,000 students on the 35-acre campus within the next seven to eight years.

"We are not landlocked," he said. "We have a lot of room to grow, even with what we have."

Building this campus from scratch has been a journey, Eichner said.

"Years ago, at Ottawa, we called this the moon shot," he said. "Now we've landed it on the moon. It's exciting. It's terrific but we're not stopping here."
This is great news, this state is rapidly closing in on 8 million and has a disturbingly low amount of Higher Ed options for how many people are here.

Wish ABOR wouldn't be so completely focused on UofA and ASU and would spend some time expanding on some of the minor colleges around the state as well as maybe looking into Turning Mesa Community into a Mesa College.

But now at least we have GCU, and now apparently a quickly expanding Ottawa University

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 8:21 PM

Kent Circle Partners Completes Land Sale Located Across From State Farm Stadium

From an IKEA originally proposed in 2017 to multi-family residential

Quote:
Kent Circle Partners (Scott Seldin, President) completes sale of a 15-acre parcel just south of State Farm Stadium, off Cardinals Way, formerly Bethany Home Rd., between the loop 101 and 95th Ave., in Glendale, Arizona. The parcel was sold for $6,533,428 and was located within the southern 63.13-acre tract, referred to as Centerpoint, a Planned Area Development (PAD), entitled by Kent Circle Partners. The property was previously under the CBD 101 PAD.

The buyer, Investment Development Management, LLC, headquartered in Vancouver, WA, is planning to build 352 luxury apartments called ACERO Glendale on the property.

In March 2012, Scott Seldin and Millard Seldin bought the land to hold for investment as Arizona was beginning to dig out of the recession, noting its freeway access and zoning advantages. “The proximity to the Arizona Cardinals Stadium and the momentum surrounding Glendale’s Westgate entertainment district made this an exciting place to have real estate,” says Scott Seldin.

Nate Nathan and Courtney Buck of Nathan & Associates, Inc. represented the seller in this transaction. Brian Stillman of Insight Land & Investments represented the buyer.

More

In 2017, IKEA was under contract to buy the entire 63.13-acre tract for a second store in the Valley. By spring 2018, the company had announced the cancelation of new store openings as part of a new corporate strategy to focus on e-commerce.

Source: https://cem-az.com/kent-circle-partn...-farm-stadium/

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 9:14 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
From an IKEA originally proposed in 2017 to multi-family residential

Source: https://cem-az.com/kent-circle-partn...-farm-stadium/
Ugh...just looking at that picture with all that farm land surrounding Westgate. Glad to see one big chunk of it getting developed.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Ugh...just looking at that picture with all that farm land surrounding Westgate. Glad to see one big chunk of it getting developed.
Remember what it was like back in 2006

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 4:18 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Remember what it was like back in 2006
Nope. I wasn't here yet

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 4:44 AM

Amazon buys 91 acres off Indian School & L303 in the west valley...

https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/a...ar-for-19-85m/

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Amazon buys 91 acres off Indian School & L303 in the west valley...

https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/a...ar-for-19-85m/
That's too far!! I cannot go there. We can not drive all the way. We are staying right there in North Phoenix.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 5:59 AM
Skyriser

That's for a warehouse or a data center. No reason to go there...

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 11:17 PM
Chase M

New Peoria Development in the works just off the 101 and Bell Rd.

Stadium Point at P83 is a massive mixed-use development in Peoria, Arizona. Ideally located in the P83 Entertainment District, the project is slated for a 17 acre, city-owned site adjacent to the Peoria Sports Complex.

LINK: https://www.peoriaed.com/available-s.../stadium-point

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 12:12 AM
Skyriser

This stuff gives me a headache because enough people think pursuing a project like this is a good idea.

This is all, again, flashbacks to the S&L crisis. Gluts of apartments, brand new office midrise development in 2nd ring suburbs like Mesa with its blue neon tower that hardly lasted, nebulous demand on a perimeter freeway that didn't last, but worst, no reason to actually build or be located there besides optimism. Who is locating to Peoria for 500k sqft office?

Peoria does have better urban planning than today's Fiesta District but I just don't see the need for this onslaught of Class A *everything.*

Unless they have rockstar tenants or financing lined up, there's a reason this is just a bamboozling and waste of time on city land.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 2:04 AM

Not to sound like a NIMBY, but I use the live in this area and it's quite a bit out of place. I wouldn't hate it but I don't know what kind of opposition this would face.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 7:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
This stuff gives me a headache because enough people think pursuing a project like this is a good idea.

This is all, again, flashbacks to the S&L crisis. Gluts of apartments, brand new office midrise development in 2nd ring suburbs like Mesa with its blue neon tower that hardly lasted, nebulous demand on a perimeter freeway that didn't last, but worst, no reason to actually build or be located there besides optimism. Who is locating to Peoria for 500k sqft office?

Peoria does have better urban planning than today's Fiesta District but I just don't see the need for this onslaught of Class A *everything.*

Unless they have rockstar tenants or financing lined up, there's a reason this is just a bamboozling and waste of time on city land.
What do you think of the development?

I don't have a problem with the location. I think this is a pretty good infill development within the 101. It has good access in/out and near a sports entertainment center that could support restaurants for special events.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 12:43 AM
Skyriser

I think it's too inward facing and doesn't address 83rd Ave too well. I don't get the location of live work townhomes, the plaza retail seems like it would struggle on non-event days with no visibility from 83rd, and I would swap the location of the apartments and the hotel.

In fact, this inward facing "urban" crap has been done over and over in Phoenix with little longterm success. Arizona Center, Esplanade, Phoenix Plaza, etc. You have to have a critical mass for the retail/restaurant to be a destination by itself and these little things just don't cut it.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 2:34 AM

Quote:
I think it's too inward facing and doesn't address 83rd Ave too well. I don't get the location of live work townhomes, the plaza retail seems like it would struggle on non-event days with no visibility from 83rd, and I would swap the location of the apartments and the hotel.

In fact, this inward facing "urban" crap has been done over and over in Phoenix with little longterm success. Arizona Center, Esplanade, Phoenix Plaza, etc. You have to have a critical mass for the retail/restaurant to be a destination by itself and these little things just don't cut it.
This looks like tons of similar developments in Silicon Valley (Redwood City). This has been planned for many years - Peoria facing regret for zoning housing up against L101 vs office space. I’d be curious who would take such space - I can’t imagine the office space would go up before the housing anyhow.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 3:05 AM
Skyriser

I think like every reasonably sized city has some office midrises along a freeway, Denver has a notable tech corridor.

But these didn't need subsidies.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroD View Post
Not to sound like a NIMBY, but I use the live in this area and it's quite a bit out of place. I wouldn't hate it but I don't know what kind of opposition this would face.
There’s not any immediate residential in the area - and City of Glendale borders on a couple sides of it. Can’t imagine there will be any NIMBYs.

Reading the BizJournal article - phase 1 is starting soon (prep work) followed by one of the class A office buildings - phase 2. Wonder if they have this pre-leased to someone or if its all speculative.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 8:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:

All good points. I personally would never want to live in the parking lot of a mall or office buildings. I don't get it. If they're relying on big events to fill up the greenspace/park, it's going to be a ghost town more often than not.

I think that greater Phoenix, "The Valley" (I don't like that term) has matured to the point that anything within the Loop 101 has become inner or first ring suburbs. Because Phoenix is such a new city that blossomed in the post WW2 era, there aren't really too many first ring suburbs in the traditional sense. I'd like to see infill within the 101 with some added height. IMO, this is a pretty cool development with all things considered, especially being adjacent to a freeway.

"Within The 101" is becoming the equivalent of "Within the Perimeter" in Atlanta, or "Inside the Beltway" in DC or "Within Route 128" in Boston.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest