HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 8:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
The city council has opted not to stop the rezoning process... pretty much as expected. The developer will make some modifications to the plan to appease some of the residents' concerns and council will vote at a later session. Looks like Dieppe blvd will soon be home to yet another Sobeys for metro Moncton. If the rumours are true, I wonder how long until the Champlain store decamps.
Dieppe city council has given the developers and the local residents two weeks to come up with a compromise, and will vote on the rezoning process at that time.

According to CBC Radio on the drive home, The grocery store is Sobeys, and they have warned city council that they must approve the rezoning as is, or with only minimal modifications or else they will opt to build on their original planned site on Harrisville Blvd (on the Moncton side of Highway 15).

The pressure is on then for Dieppe city council. I'm sure they don't want to lose this development to hated Moncton. Look for an approved rezoning with only some minor cosmetic changes. The local residents will be most displeased.......

Old Posted Feb 15, 2015, 5:34 AM

H&R Block is opening next to Mary Browns Chicken in the second phase of Champlain Plaza.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 12:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Dieppe city council has given the developers and the local residents two weeks to come up with a compromise, and will vote on the rezoning process at that time.

According to CBC Radio on the drive home, The grocery store is Sobeys, and they have warned city council that they must approve the rezoning as is, or with only minimal modifications or else they will opt to build on their original planned site on Harrisville Blvd (on the Moncton side of Highway 15).

The pressure is on then for Dieppe city council. I'm sure they don't want to lose this development to hated Moncton. Look for an approved rezoning with only some minor cosmetic changes. The local residents will be most displeased.......
This development was approved (with conditions) at last night's Dieppe city council meeting. I don't know any of the particulars right now, but will report them later (unless someone else beats me to the punch - please feel free..... ).

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 3:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

from CBC:

Fox Creek development approved by Dieppe council
Dieppe Mayor says council had to balance concerns from residents with importance of development
CBC News Posted: Feb 24, 2015 11:02 AM AT| Last Updated: Feb 24, 2015 11:02 AM AT

A controversial 58,000-square-foot grocery store, gas station, strip mall and car wash in the Fox Creek neighbourhood of Dieppe has received been approved by Dieppe city council, provided several conditions are met.

Mayor Yvon Lapierre says council approved the rezoning of the property at a meeting on Monday night with some restrictions, which are related to the concerns raised by residents.

"We know that there's a group of eight houses that are immediately adjacent to the property, so certainly from the outset, council wanted to protect these residents inasmuch as we can without chasing away development," Lapierre said.

Many residents have been opposed to the development because of concerns about increased traffic and reduced property values.

Lapierre says the conditions include a requirement of at least 26 metres between the property line of residents and the largest building and provisions that a sound and traffic study be completed and recommendations from the studies be followed.

"Such as a fence, same thing with regards to lighting and the direction of lighting in order to minimize the disruption as much as we can."

The project is contrary to the municipal plan but Lapierre says council didn't want the development to go elsewhere.

"People would much prefer not to have that type of development in their backyard and from the outset council very much understood the position of those residents but on the other hand we also kept hearing from other people in the city saying it's the kind of development that we need," he said.

Ghislain Albert, a resident, said earlier this month that the new store will be a Sobey's and that the company gave the City of Dieppe an ultimatum.

"I guess Sobey's gave them a warning, either you pass it pretty much as is with some minor modifications, or else we'll go to the other side of the street and go to Moncton," Albert said.

Lapierre says as his city grows, officials are now taking a second look at the municipal plan and considering some revisions.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 3:50 PM

While I understand that there are legitimate concerns about this development, I find it surprisingly that people are so vehemently opposed to having a grocery store within walking distance of their homes.

Also, it's naive of people to think that developers will never change their minds.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
While I understand that there are legitimate concerns about this development, I find it surprisingly that people are so vehemently opposed to having a grocery store within walking distance of their homes.

Also, it's naive of people to think that developers will never change their minds.
I am thrilled to hear that there will be a Sobey's so close to home. The co-op was ok when I only needed a few things but now I can do my entire grocery shopping without going to far. I'm sure there are a lot more people that are happy about this than there are against it.

The ones that are complaining about this right now will probably be the first ones in the store spending their money.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchops1977 View Post
I am thrilled to hear that there will be a Sobey's so close to home. The co-op was ok when I only needed a few things but now I can do my entire grocery shopping without going to far. I'm sure there are a lot more people that are happy about this than there are against it.

The ones that are complaining about this right now will probably be the first ones in the store spending their money.
How could they not, they live right next door! This will only serve to make a terribly car-dependent neighborhood slightly more walkable so a small step in the right direction. After a couple years this issue will be forgotten and the store will likely be seen as an asset to the area. Perhaps they could add a small sound wall to appease the residents further.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 6:15 PM

This is not a bad move, I was never against it, what was funny to me was that the mayor said it was not Dieppe's decision to go head or not with the rezoning...
In any event, people won't need to drive back to the Champlain area to do some grocery shopping. I hope they make it fit into the neighborhood; sidewalks, paths, trees, etc...

Last edited by OUIR@random; Feb 24, 2015 at 7:51 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 6:31 PM

Any news on what will be the building between the liquor store and second cup? Last I hear was a St Louis Bar and Grill. That would be so awesome.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 8:12 AM

Chapters Bookstores to be Rebranded as Indigo

As reported on Retail Insider, confirmed that Chapters Bookstore locations will be re-branded as Indigo. In 2001, Chapters and Indigo officially merged to form the largest book retailer in Canada under the corporate name Indigo Books & Music Inc.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 3:57 PM

I wonder if Indigo will move or stay where Chapters is. Likely stay but sometimes stores relocate (Princess Auto, Future Shop) rather then renovating.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
The strip behind Jean-Coutu has been completed since spring and still has not a single tenant. Although, I've heard recently that Dollarama might take up most of that bulding.
You might be right about Dollarama, their website state that "A High Traffic National Retailer will be opening its doors Summer 2015, leasing units 1 through 8".

Link : http://villageondieppeblvd.ca/commer...venue/?lang=en

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 8:18 PM

Subaru Moncton just posted on Facebook that their new dealership will be opening March 16th

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Subar...314572?fref=nf

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 2:01 AM

The signage is up for Mai restaurant at Champlain strip mall phase 2.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 6:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

According to a reasonably reliable source, the new Audi dealership to be built next to the entrance into the GMIA will also be the city's Volkswagen dealer as well. This was to be the original plan, but complications ensued.

According to my source, the delay had been because VW had demanded a separate building on the site, rather than a subdivided building like what the BMW/Mini dealership has. Lounsbury's balked at this because of the cost, but apparently a compromise has been reached. Audi and VW will be on opposite sides of a single building with the service bays located in between.

I'm pretty sure construction will start sometime later this year.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 7:15 PM

Quote:
According to a reasonably reliable source, the new Audi dealership to be built next to the entrance into the GMIA will also be the city's Volkswagen dealer as well. This was to be the original plan, but complications ensued.

According to my source, the delay had been because VW had demanded a separate building on the site, rather than a subdivided building like what the BMW/Mini dealership has. Lounsbury's balked at this because of the cost, but apparently a compromise has been reached. Audi and VW will be on opposite sides of a single building with the service bays located in between.

I was wondering what the delay was all about. Hopefully they get started soon.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 7:30 PM

The VW/Audi dealership has needed to move for a LONG time. Their lot is difficult to navigate, and I know they do a lot of business. Hope to head back there when my Civic dies. Which will probably be 20 years *grumble*. It's efficient, roomy, affordable and reliable, but wow, I dislike it.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:

Actually there was a variance request on the City of Dieppe PAC agenda this week for Lounsbury Co to Permit for more than one building on one lot on Aviation ave: http://dieppe.ca/en/hoteldeville/res...18mars2015.pdf

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 2:58 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emad View Post
Actually there was a variance request on the City of Dieppe PAC agenda this week for Lounsbury Co to Permit for more than one building on one lot on Aviation ave: http://dieppe.ca/en/hoteldeville/res...18mars2015.pdf
Interesting. My contact is not a first hand source, so although he was knowledgeable about the controversy, he might not have been aware of the ultimate resolution of the conflict. Perhaps Lounsbury's had to relent.

In any event, this will be a combo Audi/VW dealership and will be built on the north side of the main entrance into the GMIA, hopefully this year.

Aviation Avenue seems to be the place to build higher end foreign car dealerships:

- BMW/Mini
- Audi/VW
- Acura
- Subaru
- Mazda

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 11:29 AM

[/QUOTE]Aviation Avenue seems to be the place to build higher end foreign car dealerships:

- BMW/Mini
- Audi/VW
- Acura
- Subaru
- Mazda[/QUOTE]

Subaru and Mazda are high end foreign dealerships??? I think not.

Subaru doe not have any vehicles starting above $30,000 and Mazda has only the CX-9 with a starting price above $30,000.

Of course if you add other options it will run higher. But I do not consider these high end foreign dealerships.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces