HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 4:04 PM
Show me the blueprints

The premise you guys are talking about regarding saving the rare surviving structure versus starting from scratch reminds me of the example of the Dresden Frauenkirche in Germany. I think most would agree it means more and adds to the meaningfulness to incorporate history whenever possible. Story of the church here.

The surviving stones are darker:

Wiki

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 4:22 PM

Not sure if this is 100% in the realm of things for this thread but it's pretty cool. Ran across a website which aims to hook up people who want blank walls muralled or art on them with artists who will do it. Must be Brazilian as most of it is there, but it would be cool to see a bunch of these listed in Chicago and expand the color in the city (i.e. Little Village and Pilsen)

http://www.colorpluscity.com/#home

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
So part of that South Side revitalization is a ton of land for sale for $1 in neighborhoods like Woodlawn, Grand Crossing, Englewood, Washington Park, etc. This site is great and shows you what's available. Tons of stuff

http://largelots.org

The only thing is that to buy one, you have to actually own property/land on that block already or be a non profit in the community. Not a bad thing, but what are your guys' thoughts about this? I kind of understand why they need to do it but at the same time I don't think that many lots will be sold. If they are, I'm really curious to see what residents will actually do with them. I think it'll be big for non-profits maybe..

I hate this plan, it shows the shortsightedness of the city and local representation of actually trying to revitalize the community. I live in West Woodlawn in the 20th Ward and there are a few lots and several boarded up buildings on my block.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
I hate this plan, it shows the shortsightedness of the city and local representation of actually trying to revitalize the community. I live in West Woodlawn in the 20th Ward and there are a few lots and several boarded up buildings on my block.
I respectfully disagree. This plan couldn't be better. The most prominent stipulation is that the buyer be a resident of that block. My oh my, if only Detroit had done that. The foreign investors come rushing in and buy up all the lots and never build anything on them.

Residents are now obligated to care for the lots per city ordinances. Because they are residents of that immediate area, they have incentives to improve the appearance and value of the property. When the neighborhood's time comes for revitalization in the form of new construction, they will sell.

If you want faster revitalization, and a better shot and densifying these neighborhoods, you need to transfer these lots to private owners that live in the neighborhood. Otherwise, it will be sold to landholding companies that will sit on the properties for eternity.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 6:55 PM
The City

^. A great way as an investor to bypass this is:

Buy a cheap as shit house in Enlgewood and call it your new address. Then, snap up as many lots around you as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 7:17 PM
BANNED

4/8 - 601 W Jackson, Rising

At only 15 stories, this will surely be topped out by the end of the summer.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 2:31 AM

According to the timestamp on my camera, it hasn't been used in over 1 year. So I figured, I'd get back out. Here's some pics of the riverwalk construction and a random photo of the new Clark Canyon

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 3:24 AM

Awesome photos, Hayward!

Also, is Cobra Lounge building a new addition? I saw a building permit that they are building a new 2239 sq ft addition, 2 stories, and renovating the existing venue space. I wonder if this means that they will take part of the vacant lot next to it, or if they'll just build on top of the existing building.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 5:10 AM
BANNED

TBK is the greatest restaurant in the history of the universe.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 2:50 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
TBK is the greatest restaurant in the history of the universe.
TBK is ok, but you'd never apparently known the late, great Las Pinatas on Wells.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 2:55 PM
Urbane observer

Crain's is reporting that Marc Realty is seeking a zoning change that would allow it to nearly triple the number of units at the city's only mobile-home park, Harbor Point Estates on E. 134th St., from the current 190 to 747 units. East Siders sometimes call this Hegewisch subneighborhood "Arizona" because decades ago it was nothing but sand dunes.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 4:12 PM

Recently read an interesting article about owning and running trailer parks. The Cold, Hard Lessons of Mobile Home U.

Before I was born one of my uncles owned one for a while. He said it was a easy way to make some money, it's just kind of depressing.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 4:19 PM
TL;DR

In a city full of great taco joints, TBK is revolting... even when I'm blitzed late night there are always better choices.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 4:28 PM
you know where I'll be

^^ Dear Lord. Welcome to 'Meerca'. Kind of depressing doesn't begin to cover it (if you don't shake your head in disgusted disbelief in at least 4 or 5 places in that article - and do a '180' eye roll at least half a dozen times, something's not working upstairs). But by far, the important thing is that good 'ole-fashioned, prudent, responsible credit-worthy, hard-workin', small business-ownin', job-creatin', 'pick themselves up by their bootstraps' Meercans have this great avenue for additional investment wealth generation and to further improve and secure their futures....

^^^ From "Arizona" to "Raising Arizona", as it were....

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Apr 9, 2014 at 6:11 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Not sure if this is 100% in the realm of things for this thread but it's pretty cool. Ran across a website which aims to hook up people who want blank walls muralled or art on them with artists who will do it. Must be Brazilian as most of it is there, but it would be cool to see a bunch of these listed in Chicago and expand the color in the city (i.e. Little Village and Pilsen)

http://www.colorpluscity.com/#home
Great post, Marothisu, and it was something I have been thinking about. Blank walls (that do not have windows) that face the street, should be offered to artists. A good example here in Chicago is the wall on the side of the Wicker Park Athletic Club on Division Street, the wall that faces the Wendys. They took a blank brick wall, and allowed some form of art to be hung there. That needs to happen to every blank wall all around the city. Especially the metallic wall on the side of the Apple Store that faces Halsted!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 5:13 PM

Saddle and Cycle Club Expansion

I remember there being some inquires here a few months back regarding the faith of the empty lot just north of the Sheridan/Foster Mariano's (previously Dominick's) in Edgewater.

The nearby Saddle and Cycle Club purchased the land, but their exact plans were unknown until this week:

Quote:
Saddle and Cycle Club Plans Expansion Into Empty Lot on Sheridan Road
Benjamin Woodard, DNAinfo

The members-only Saddle and Cycle Club, a century-plus-old North Side institution, plans to expand its lakeside campus, officials said Tuesday.

Inside its posh clubhouse on Foster Avenue, the club revealed plans to build a sports field and patio for its members on its newly purchased Sheridan Road lot.

The nonprofit club — which collected $2.4 million in membership dues in 2011, according to tax filings — also requested community approval for a new 8-foot wooden fence to surround the field.

[..]

Ald. Harry Osterman (48th), who organized and attended the meeting Tuesday, said there had been other proposals to build multistory, mixed-use developments at the site within the last three years.

"I just want to give that context as well, you know, as far as what could have gone here," he said.

Sheli Lulkin, president of a condo-owner coalition along Sheridan Road in Edgewater, thanked the club for buying the land and preventing a possible sky-high development.

[..]

The few residents who attended the meeting voted unanimously to support the zoning variance for the Sheridan Road fence.

Michael Parrie, a resident of the Park Tower building about a block away from the club, said he supported the "simple" fence and sports field because "they're making it into a green space rather than a high-rise."

DNAinfo

Last edited by zolk; Apr 9, 2014 at 5:53 PM. Reason: Fixed location typo.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 5:50 PM

^ The Mariano's is at Sheridan and Foster.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zolk View Post
I remember there being some inquires here a few months back regarding the faith of the empty lot just north of the Sheridan/Foster Mariano's (previously Dominick's) in Edgewater.
Infuriating. I already knew this, but now that's it's officially news, I'm seething again. The only purpose of buying this lot was to block any potential high-rise from being next to them; nice euphemism with "sports field". Enjoy those property taxes...

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 6:30 PM

Hope that is sarcasm (hard to tell in written form), otherwise you will be more angry because they are a nonprofit, pretty sure they do not pay property taxes

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 9:18 PM

It is a lovely club, however.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development