HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
I can't see the office tower itself being demolished though, or even the waterfall feature.
Morguard had been working on plans for that property for a second tower, I have seen the plans. I would largely expect Bosa to continue on in what will assume the low rise and potentially the water feature meet its demise.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
I don't think demolition of the 1500 West Georgia tower would make economic sense, nor is it likely to have been a serious consideration of Bosa in making the purchase. The building still generates very good income, has long-term leases in place and isn't near end of life. You'd also have an easier time getting rezoning by preserving the commercial space and the water feature anyway...

My guess is that you'll see a small-floorplate irregularly shaped point tower at 40+ storeys on the Nicola side. Tower separation to 1500 Alberni wouldn't be an issue as it's already 80 ft just to the sidewalk. And if the new tower has an triangle or irregular shape floorplate like the existing retail building, it won't face directly into the existing office tower.

Residents of 1500 Alberni would obviously complain about view loss, but Bosa could simply argue preserving the existing tower, water feature are more important and that a tower can't be massed elsewhere on site to preserve all views...there's also precedent for this happening in Coal Harbour, etc.

I'm sure Bosa didn't drop $120MM without having studied the feasibility of a new tower...
Does the water feature even work anymore? When I drove by on the weekend it was dry and being used by skateboarders, who in an adept demonstration of Darwinism at work, were trying to time their encursions onto Georgia Street with the traffic lights.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Does the water feature even work anymore? When I drove by on the weekend it was dry and being used by skateboarders, who in an adept demonstration of Darwinism at work, were trying to time their encursions onto Georgia Street with the traffic lights.
It's been at least a couple of years since I've seen the waterfall on. There's still water in the pool up above which leads me to believe the waterfall feature was turned off to save cost or maybe reduce noise (as opposed to repairs/water issues).

Whatever happens it would be nice if they could retain it and keep it running at least during business hours...I get the sense that big water features are going the way of the dodo bird...

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Whatever happens it would be nice if they could retain it and keep it running at least during business hours...I get the sense that big water features are going the way of the dodo bird...
That's a real shame, even in a rain city like Vancouver. Water features add so much life and energy to a given space.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 8:36 PM

Quote:
It's been at least a couple of years since I've seen the waterfall on.
I am pretty sure I have seen it on every now and then. It's a bit like the Robson Square waterfalls that seems to be on only so rarely. Still, much more frequently than the VAG fountain.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 10:27 PM
and a very long ride home

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinVan View Post
Of course I wouldn't expect you to support preserving anything. In another thread, you called the Marine Building a "brick building" that "needs to be redeveloped ASAP."
haha!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinVan View Post
Of course I wouldn't expect you to support preserving anything. In another thread, you called the Marine Building a "brick building" that "needs to be redeveloped ASAP."
He was joking...

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 4:40 AM
More Towers

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 6:30 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

All this talking about some potential project at 1500 W Georgia, lets talk about a real proposal....

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=212849

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:49 PM

Some progress on Sephora on Robson:

Lululemon at Robson and Burrard (video screens face onto both streets):

(My photos from today)

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanciti View Post
Morguard had been working on plans for that property for a second tower, I have seen the plans. I would largely expect Bosa to continue on in what will assume the low rise and potentially the water feature meet its demise.
Quote:
It's been at least a couple of years since I've seen the waterfall on. There's still water in the pool up above which leads me to believe the waterfall feature was turned off to save cost or maybe reduce noise (as opposed to repairs/water issues).

Well if I were to be wanting to develop that site at all costs I would reduce maintenance of the plaza and let it fall into disrepair. Not to just save a few bucks but to make the city and neighbours more accepting of it being redeveloped. Same strategy with industrial lots that someone wants to rezone, or heritage buildings someone wants to tear down.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:10 PM
This space for Lease

granville island mural coming along

photo by aberdeenloon https://www.flickr.com/photos/102326...895667/sizes/l

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver