HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 2:23 PM

http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...onze05.article

Group calls for control over Bronzeville development

1,800 VACANT LOTS | Residents say they just want area to 'maintain its mixed-income character'

May 5, 2008Recommend (7)

BY DAVID ROEDER droeder@suntimes.com
Accusing City Hall of conspiring with private developers in a "land grab," a community group is demanding local control over future development in Bronzeville.

The argument rages over about 1,800 city-owned vacant lots in the historic Near South Side neighborhood. Residents have organized the Housing Bronzeville group to pressure city officials to offer the property as part of a trust fund for affordable housing.

Valencia Hardy, a leader of Housing Bronzeville, said private buyers have grabbed much of the best property in recent years, driving up prices and threatening to make Bronzeville unaffordable for long-time residents.

In the meantime, the city-owned parcels have largely languished, she said. "I just want to see Bronzeville maintain its mixed-income character. It's what makes it a nice place to live," said Hardy, a retired postal worker who has lived in the area since 1995. "Between the developers and the city, it's been like a land grab down here."

The campaign has so far drawn resistance from the Daley administration and from aldermen whose wards include the 1,800 vacant lots. The issue appears to be control over money that the vacant land could produce.

Peter Scales, spokesman for the city's Planning Department, said the organization is trying to duplicate programs already operated by city government. He said the city is committed to housing development under the following allowances: one-third as replacement public housing, one-third at subsidized prices for buyers with moderate incomes, and one-third priced at market rates.

He noted that Housing Bronzeville is asking only for a 26 percent set-aside for below-market-priced homes.

Scales also said many of the 1,800 lots the city owns are committed as sites for public housing units to replace high-rises the Chicago Housing Authority is demolishing. Most of the lots were acquired in tax delinquency proceedings.

Ald. Patricia Dowell, whose 3rd Ward includes most of the targeted lots, said she has withheld support for the Housing Bronzeville proposal because it raises "a host of legal, political and practical issues."

The proposal, which the group hopes to enact via a referendum on the Nov. 4 ballot, would have Bronzeville property owners pay an additional tax into a new trust fund.

The fund would be led by a community-elected board, with a minority of mayoral appointees, and proceeds would support land acquisition and housing construction.

Dowell said the proposal is illegal because state statutes "do not give community groups the power to tax and spend." She said she supports the organization's goals and would work with it to refine its ideas.

A community trust fund also would undercut traditional aldermanic authority. While the city often advertises for bids on vacant lots, it accepts only proposals that have explicit support from local aldermen.

Kenneth Williams, another Housing Bronzeville member, said he suspects the aldermen want to preserve their power. "There is a lot of money in our community because of this property," he said.

Since Mayor Daley announced his drive to get the 2016 Summer Olympics, some residents have wondered if City Hall has secret plans for the 1,800 lots.

Two proposed Olympic sites, the athletes' housing and Washington Park, are in or near Bronzeville. But Scales said the Olympics are uncertain and so far off that the priority has to be fostering balanced development in the neighborhood sooner than 2016.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 4:55 PM

That is nonsense. People need to understand their own budgets when they buy and allow for future increases in property tax.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 5:19 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

A couple of R+D659 from 4 May:

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 5:20 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Allure at K Station, 4 May:

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 6:37 PM
THAT Guy

http://www.northwestern.edu/newscent...cbuilding.html

New Music Building and Arts Green Committees Formed

Committees have been appointed to advise on the development of the new School of Music building on the Evanston campus and to advise on the development of the new arts green that will replace the existing Arts Circle, it was announced by Provost Daniel Linzer.

...The five architectural firms under consideration include Hammel, Green and Abrahamson, Inc. in Milwaukee, Kuwabara Payne McKenna Blumberg Architects in Toronto, and three firms with offices in Chicago: Goettsch Partners, Inc., Kreuk and Sexton Architects, and Murphy/Jahn Inc. Architects. Ronald Nayler, associate vice president for facilities management, stated that the Educational Properties Committee of the Board of Trustees, with advice from the Building Committee, will select three firms to participate in a design competition during the summer. A selection of the final design firm will be made this fall.

The target date for the completion of the five-story lakefront music building and the first stage of the arts green has been set for 2012.

The new building will be located south of Pick-Staiger Concert Hall and Regenstein Hall of Music and will connect to Regenstein. It will contain approximately 116,000 gross square feet of space for classrooms, teaching labs, academic faculty offices, teaching studios for choral, opera, piano and voice faculty, practice rooms, student lounges and administrative offices. There also will be a choral rehearsal room and library, an opera rehearsal room/black box theater and a 400-seat recital hall. The cost of the music building and arts green projects will be $90 million.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aic4ever View Post

That is nonsense. People need to understand their own budgets when they buy and allow for future increases in property tax.
You don't understand. Little ol' Granny who's lived in the neighborhood for 58 years will be forced to eat cat food if her (already reduced) property taxes go up. I mean, that $1500/year in property taxes is just KILLER to Chicago households in poor areas, and besides, everyone knows the right to face no future nominal tax increases on real property (and not budget accordingly) is enshrined right there in the U.S. Constitution...

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 8:00 PM
Urbane observer

Well, property taxes are a notoriously bad way to tax wealth, for exactly this reason: value of property owned is not related to current ability to pay. In an agrarian economy, someone with a lot of property brought in a lot of income (from crops) each year. However, Illinois has circuit-breaker grants to help.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 3:18 AM

Yikes!

New committee to vet 2nd Ward development
‘We have to bring them in and reeducate them’

http://chicagojournal.com/main.asp?S...01&TM=83839.72

Quote:
Developers eyeing construction projects in the 2nd Ward will now contend with a new group connected to the alderman that will consider and critique projects before they are submitted to the broader community.

The Citizen Advisory Committee was formed by the office of 2nd Ward Alderman Robert Fioretti to vet development proposals...
Quote:
"They basically review the project, they make recommendations, they say their kind of notes or feedback to the alderman, what they think works, what doesn't work, what might work better," Hannah Jubeh said of the committee. "The alderman will take those suggestions and make changes accordingly as part of the overall plan."
Quote:
The alderman's office created the committee by emailing their 4,000-address email database, asking for participation. Forty people responded. Staff divided those 40 into geographic areas and held a lottery to determine who would join the committee.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 3:29 AM

^Private property development by mob rule, fantastic! Any 2nd ward lurkers who can join this circus?

Quote:
"I don't think the alderman should consider himself bound by its recommendations because often what the good of the city may not be may not immediately please residents around the site," Mr. Downtown said.
I concur... but why am I not optimistic? Why must Aldermanic power be applied to benefit a few to the detriment of others? Why are Fioretti and Reilly, the embodiment of this phenomenon (using government power to benefit a few at the broader populace's expense) in any way shape or form possibly a good thing?

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 4:12 AM
The City

Quote:
"I don't think the alderman should consider himself bound by its recommendations because often what the good of the city may not be may not immediately please residents around the site," Mr. Downtown said.

Grammatically poor (certainly the fault of the Journal), but otherwise insightfully rich

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 5:44 PM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,5166013.story

Quote:
BP to move 1,200 jobs to downtown Chicago from suburbs

By Robert Manor | Tribune reporter
2:05 PM CDT, May 6, 2008

Oil giant BP plans to move approximately 1,200 workers from the western suburbs to the Chicago Mercantile Exchange on Wacker Drive.
Sources familiar with the latest developments say BP is moving jobs back downtown to accommodate the desires of its workers.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 6:23 PM

I live in the 2nd ward and have sent fioretti an email and several letters regarding land use development and specific projects and i was not contacted to participate in the CAC.

If you read in there, you have to have given him money to be contacted. Talk about pay to play!

Not to list out my resume, but I’d bet a good chuck of change that i'm am eminently more qualified to discuss architectural development and urban issues than anyone on that committee.

"A Chicago man knows he has a mission to accomplish in the world."- Pierre De Coubertin

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 6:45 PM

edit

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 7:37 PM

I also have previously emailed Fioretti and live in the 2nd Ward. I should therefore be on his email list, but I was never contacted either. Of course my
email was in disagreement with some of his positions and I have never contributed money to his campaign. So, no invite.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 8:07 PM

^ You guys should write letters to the editor saying as much to the Chicago Journal... so at least there is some written neighborhood record of this whole sham.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 3:33 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
^ You guys should write letters to the editor saying as much to the Chicago Journal... so at least there is some written neighborhood record of this whole sham.
Crain's published a letter of mine about the Greektown museum project a few weeks back. :-)

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 7:22 PM

..I was talking to a steel worker this morning and he said that the entire bridge section over Monroe would be installed this weekend (starting tonight) at the Art Institute......there should be good viewing from the web cam .they are moving a crane up now.....

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 2:08 AM
tilted & shifted

Art Institute expansion (taken today):

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 2:27 AM
The City

Of interest..

Sofitel Chicago Water Tower Ranks No. 1 in the World
Sofitel Exceeds Expectations on Expedia's Insiders' Select List| 09 May 2008 | 09:42 AM ET
DALLAS, May 9, 2008 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Sofitel Chicago Water Tower received top recognition on the second annual Insider's Select(TM) list of the world's best hotels, unveiled this week by Expedia(R). Of the 899 worldwide hotel properties listed, Sofitel Chicago Water Tower captured the No. 1 spot.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 1:08 PM

Does anyone know the name of the building being built the is northwest of the intersection of clybourn and division?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development