HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Chicago Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 4:53 PM

in my dreamworld there would be space in front of holy name for a small NOLA-style urban square

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 5:20 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
Regarding Wikipedia, I wouldn't assume that it's an unreliable source of information, because its accuracy is improved by the fact that it's constantly undergoing peer review. For this reason, Bill Nye the Science Guy has even said that he trusts Wikipedia more than traditional encyclopedias. I disagree with him for the less visited Wikipedia articles, but he's probably right for the frequently visited ones.
I've found that the accuracy of Wikipedia in general is high for unpopular topics (i.e. subjects not commonly in the public sphere), but declines with certain popular subjects as various people battle to "prove" their point about one factor or another.

But in general, I agree that Wikipedia quality has turned out better than most people expected it to. I frequently use it as a primary source for simple things, and even for things where I want access to real primary sources, it's a good starting point because it usually has at least a few links to primary sources.

And as someone who has created a few Wikipedia pages about individuals, going through the process of meeting the criteria for inclusion as individuals made me more confident in other parts of the site because there are actually quality standards and both automated processes and real people do enforce them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
That area has already seen some significant buildings this cycle...Chicago Ave out to the River especially around Moody... imagine if that moody land comes into play.....
And a big chunk of the Moody land is for sale, so it basically is in play even though it may be a while before we actually see proposals. But at least it will likely transfer into the hands of someone with an incentive to actually make use of the land instead of merely banking it or throwing single-story, single-use buildings on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
in my dreamworld there would be space in front of holy name for a small NOLA-style urban square
Agreed. I would have loved to see the whole structure held back from State Street by enough space to make a plaza that could be used similarly to the part of New York's Union Square that hosts the Holiday Market (extreme south end of the Square) except maybe with a few trees like Johanne Dybwads plass in Oslo.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 3:01 PM

Was by the site today, lots of activity. Overhead canopies going up, concrete being placed in multiple locations simultaneously. This thing is going to become visible very quickly now. I heard Power Construction has a bunch of their top guys on the project since it is the biggest thing they have going.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 3:05 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardier View Post
I heard Power Construction has a bunch of their top guys on the project since it is the biggest thing they have going.
considering that OCS is the 2nd tallest tower currently under construction in the nation (outside of NYC, of course), that would make sense.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 4:36 PM

The rental tower portion is going to dramatically change the feel of the immediate area (and not for the better). The 500+ ft. sheer wall at that intersection will be oppressive.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 6:00 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
considering that OCS is the 2nd tallest tower currently under construction in the nation (outside of NYC, of course), that would make sense.
Man, the non-NYC US really needs to step up its skyscraper game

Not that a near 1000 foot building is small or anything, but still, it'd be nice to see more than just NYC and Chicago building giants.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 6:02 PM

full size:

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 6:30 PM

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Man, the non-NYC US really needs to step up its skyscraper game

Not that a near 1000 foot building is small or anything, but still, it'd be nice to see more than just NYC and Chicago building giants.

To be a little fair, Miami, Detroit, & San Francisco all have 900+ foot towers in the works. And Seattle is finishing up an 850 foot tower. Not giants, I admit, but decent nonetheless.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap_Shot View Post
To be a little fair, Miami, Detroit, & San Francisco all have 900+ foot towers in the works. And Seattle is finishing up an 850 foot tower. Not giants, I admit, but decent nonetheless.
Philly and San Francisco each had a 1,000 footer complete in 2018 and LA had one complete in 2017

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 2:14 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
Philly and San Francisco each had a 1,000 footer complete in 2018 and LA had one complete in 2017
Its not really the height thats impressive, but the sheer bulk of it. You guys have that 110 North Wacker tower rising that is just massive, and its 800 ft of sheer bulk. The BMO tower as well, equally impressive. Like if the slogan "the city of big shoulders" could be translated to architecture, it definitely applies to it in your city.

Depending on who you ask, bulk can actually do more to impact a skyline than some super freaky tall tower thats thin. Aon Tower versus Vista, good chance Aon gets more of a presence. I say Vista as its thin depending on the angle, Aon is just uniformed bulk on every angle.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Its not really the height thats impressive, but the sheer bulk of it. You guys have that 110 North Wacker tower rising that is just massive, and its 800 ft of sheer bulk. The BMO tower as well, equally impressive. Like if the slogan "the city of big shoulders" could be translated to architecture, it definitely applies to it in your city.

Depending on who you ask, bulk can actually do more to impact a skyline than some super freaky tall tower thats thin. Aon Tower versus Vista, good chance Aon gets more of a presence. I say Vista as its thin depending on the angle, Aon is just uniformed bulk on every angle.

Indeed. Every time I look at an aerial of that area Vista looks so slight, compared to Aon and the other Big 3, even Trump Tower. Vistas shape is sexy as all get out, but she also looks like a wafe model. It's not a hugely popular design here by an means (apparently asymmetry is hard to digest), but I think the bulk of Sterns new bldg, One Bennet, has an excellent, strong presence on the lake front.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post

Depending on who you ask, bulk can actually do more to impact a skyline than some super freaky tall tower thats thin.
I bet that 9 out of 10 skyscraper fans in the Midwest would gladly trade *both* the BMO tower and 110 N Wacker for that super slender supertall in your area (111 W 57th).

One Chicago is a decent consolation prize, but I surely hope the final height will be at least 984.252 ft (984.00 ft is only 299.92 m).

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 5:22 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
I bet that 9 out of 10 skyscraper fans in the Midwest would gladly trade *both* the BMO tower and 110 N Wacker for that super slender supertall in your area (111 W 57th).

One Chicago is a decent consolation prize, but I surely hope the final height will be at least 984.252 ft (984.00 ft is only 299.92 m).
111 W 57th would go GREAT at the Tribune addition site or old Spire site.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 6:42 PM
BANNED

^ Re Spire Location: That begs the hypothetical question: do you orient the steps of 111 towards the river, or away from the river? Hmm

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^ Re Spire Location: That begs the hypothetical question: do you orient the steps of 111 towards the river, or away from the river? Hmm
Towards the river, they are full floor condos so they will still benefit from West views w/o ext. access.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
Nah the best place for a tower with that small footprint would be that small lot next to the Reid Murdock building where the hotel is planned.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 8:44 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
Way too skinny IMO, I'd put the Shanghai Financial Center and/or 2IFC in Hong Kong if I could

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
Nah the best place for a tower with that small footprint would be that small lot next to the Reid Murdock building where the hotel is planned.
I'll trump you both and say the Thompson Center.

#savethethompsoncenter

(discussion moved to General in 5,4,3....)

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 4:07 AM

Jan 14

Coupled bar

Terminated bar (?)

Jan 15

looking down Dearborn

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive