HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 4:11 PM

For perspective I have seen people posting their Star Wars movie tickets from Winnipeg online and that is running around $20 a person before any food. For a family of four that would cost $80 for two hours of entertainment. Moose tickets for a family of four would be in the same type of price range too. A day at the Zoo would run that same family of four $60.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 4:16 PM

^ Bottom line is their pricing makes it easy for families with young kids to say no. I'm not sure that there will be enough retirees and young people out on dates to keep this thing busy... I would fully expect some sort of promo pricing for families with kids as they are probably the largest cohort of people actually interested in going to check this out.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 4:46 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
For perspective I have seen people posting their Star Wars movie tickets from Winnipeg online and that is running around $20 a person before any food. For a family of four that would cost $80 for two hours of entertainment. Moose tickets for a family of four would be in the same type of price range too. A day at the Zoo would run that same family of four $60.
I wouldn't consider taking both my 2 and 5 year to star wars, or the Moose for that matter. Not to mention my wife isn't a fan of either.

In any event, the zoo at least lets my two year old in free. Having an age cut off where it's free makes a lot of sense, but in this case, perhaps they are trying is dissuade families with little kids coming? More of an adult playground?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 4:49 PM

^^ Festival du Voyageur single day family pack $88. Does that keep the young families away from there?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 4:49 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
In any event, the zoo at least lets my two year old in free. Having an age cut off where it's free makes a lot of sense, but in this case, perhaps they are trying is dissuade families with little kids coming? More of an adult playground?
The zoo is also a multi-million dollar facility.

This is a bunch of ice sculptures.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 4:50 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
^^ Festival du Voyageur single day family pack $88. Does that keep the young families away from there?
Apples to oranges comparison.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 4:54 PM

In other news, the Canadian Football Hall of Fame is leaving its downtown Hamilton location to go set up in the endzone at Tim Hortons Field.

Ah, if only there was a way to bring the CFHOF to Winnipeg... the perfect place for it would be the Millennium Centre. Put the Grey Cup and all the hall of famer busts in this beautiful room, with museum exhibits in the side offices:

Source:Winnipeglovehate.com

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 4:54 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
The zoo is also a multi-million dollar facility.

This is a bunch of ice sculptures.
I get it. But up to a certain point, it is a bit of a ridiculous notion to have toddlers and babies pay an admission.

I guess more than anything else, for me it's just off putting. Maybe insulting even?

"How many babies in the stroller ma'am? - we are trying to run a business here!"

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 5:50 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Ah, if only there was a way to bring the CFHOF to Winnipeg... the perfect place for it would be the Millennium Centre. Put the Grey Cup and all the hall of famer busts in this beautiful room, with museum exhibits in the side offices:

Source:Winnipeglovehate.com
That's where my City of Winnipeg Museum is going to go, as soon as I raise the necessary funds! I've pretty well completed the acquisitions necessary to establish the photographic section and the maps archive. Now I just need someone to build the display cases and 1ajs to wire it all up for sound...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
That's where my City of Winnipeg Museum is going to go, as soon as I raise the necessary funds! I've pretty well completed the acquisitions necessary to establish the photographic section and the maps archive. Now I just need someone to build the display cases and 1ajs to wire it all up for sound...
EVEN BETTER.

I will stand down on my CFHOF idea and look for alternate sites. The old Bank of British North America across the street which houses Whiskey Dix could work.

Given that you work in close proximity to many wealthy and nostalgic ex-Winnipeggers, can we assume you'll have the cash lined up by Friday? Can Gerry Schwartz get a cheque for $10 million in your hands that quickly?

(Ahhh, dare to dream)

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Care to comment on the admission costs for a family of four to your new City of Winnipeg Museum?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 6:26 PM

^ Hahaha

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 8:27 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
How can you even compare the two?

Festival has TONS of live music in multiple heated venues. Lots of great food and drinks and a good variety activities for kids.

This is a small display of ice sculptures.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 2:44 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
i wanna go but for me, my wife and my 2 boys is $107.30....so i guess not.

Ticket & Price Details
TYPE Standard Ticket
TICKET PRICE $26.25 x 2
SERVICE FEE $6.75 x 2
SUBTOTAL $66.00
TYPE Children (under 18 years)
TICKET PRICE $15.75 x 2
SERVICE FEE $4.90 x 2
SUBTOTAL $41.30
SUBTOTAL $107.30
Prices are in CA$
Our family went last night (2 Adult & 2 Kids under 12) We had a great time. We were a little apprehensive due to the pricing but figured what the hell.

For the pricing, if you buy through TicketMaster it will cost you the above price. When you get tickets at the gate it was $86. The service fees on TicketMaster kill you. The downfall to buying at the gate was a very long line to get in. We waited about a half an hour. If you have pre-purchased tickets you can bypass the line and go right in.

Going at night is a must. The sculptures and lighting were very impressive. The kids had a lot of fun and really enjoyed it.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 3:48 PM

Thanks for sharing your actual visit impressions of the ice sculptures Biff. Again, the price is high but it is not crazily out of line either.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 3:50 PM

^ $21 for the convenience of buying your tickets online... Good Lord. $86 for 4 is easier to swallow.

Sounds like a good time... the reviews I've heard have all been very positive.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 9:52 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
Author: Metropolitan Corporation of Greater Winnipeg
Publ.: 1971
Size: 831 K

Transcona Detailed Area Plan

NOTE: Maps now uploaded (2016-03-11)
Forgot to upload the Transcona maps. They're there now.

It was that awesome development at 101 Regent Ave. W that encouraged me to check if it was completed.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 7:44 PM

Someone posted this interesting juxtaposition of Winnipeg and Edmonton on reddit, thought I'd share:

http://mapfrappe.com/?show=37824

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 1:41 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^So basically if we fill out to the Perimeter (and associated densification) we should be at about 1.3 million.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
^^^So basically if we fill out to the Perimeter (and associated densification) we should be at about 1.3 million.
Hopefully more than that... it's kind of wild to move the map to other big world cities and see just how piddly our density levels are.

I'm not saying this can or should be the goal for Winnipeg (heh) but it appears that you can easily fit central Tokyo's 13.5 million-odd people inside the Perimeter.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan