HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 8:13 PM
User Registered

I had a good laugh after I saw the second pylon. Then laughed again seeing the third.

Good news about Wonderland/401!

Highbury CN overpass is done

Commissioners is still a mess

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 11:39 PM
Sanity merchant

Lanes on 401 all clear. Waiting for ramps to finally open up too

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 3:42 AM
User Registered

Hyde Park widening is officially done: https://www.london.ca/newsroom/Pages...-Ceremony.aspx

Commissioners widening phase 1 (Viscount to Andover) was supposed to be done Nov 30, but it isn't fully complete. I think the contractor is liable to cover any additional work unless there were a lot of unforeseen problems. Hopefully the weather cooperates and its done by the end of the week.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Hyde Park widening is officially done: https://www.london.ca/newsroom/Pages...-Ceremony.aspx

Commissioners widening phase 1 (Viscount to Andover) was supposed to be done Nov 30, but it isn't fully complete. I think the contractor is liable to cover any additional work unless there were a lot of unforeseen problems. Hopefully the weather cooperates and its done by the end of the week.
About time regarding Hyde Park, that was such a crap show for too long

Drove down Commissioners on Saturday and it looks like they just need to do some minor clean up and paint lines for that section to be open. I assume they will do a top layer of asphalt in the spring. Andover to Wonderland has most of the new poles in place, but am not sure if they are going to be working throughout the winter or what?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 1:43 PM

Update to commissioners, it is now open 4 lanes to Andover

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 6:03 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
Update to commissioners, it is now open 4 lanes to Andover

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 6:30 PM
Downtown

Top ten intersections with the most crashes in 2015 (PY ranking in brackets)

1. (11) Wellington/Exeter, 91 crashes
2. (1) Wellington/Commissioners, 82 crashes
3. (2) Highbury/Oxford, 73 crashes
4. (6) Wharncliffe/Oxford, 72 crashes
5. (3) Hamilton/Highbury, 68 crashes
6. (10) Adelaide/Oxford, 68 crashes
7. (5) Fanshawe Park/Adelaide, 67 crashes
8. (4) Wonderland/Oxford, 67 crashes
9. (7) Sarnia/Wonderland, 66 crashes
10. Highbury/Huron, 63 crashes

Oxford, Wellington, Adelaide, and Highbury top the list with multiple spots in the top 10.

Full article: http://www.lfpress.com/2016/02/09/lo...ton-and-exeter

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 8:01 PM

Not terribly surprised about any of those, to be honest

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 8:25 PM
User Registered

I wonder how well Wellington/Exeter would operate if a 401 overpass linking Exeter to Wilton Grove was built.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 9:16 PM

People need to pay more attention, I swear London has some of the worst drivers in Ontario.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2016, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyeman200 View Post
People need to pay more attention, I swear London has some of the worst drivers in Ontario.
I've heard from a number of people with varying levels of experience in London that Londoners are some of the worst drivers they've ever seen. When I was growing up, it was a point of perverse pride that London drivers were the Bostonians of Ontario. No idea if it's true, but I have witnessed some especially aggressive driving in London.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 4:17 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyeman200 View Post
Clearly, you've never driven around rural Ontario all that much. Spend enough time around Chatham, Woodstock and the like, and gradually you find out that they're just shockingly bad drivers. Mercifully, there aren't many of them. Skills-wise, Londoners are about below-average, they just crash into each other because there's a lot of them driving around a mid-size city with no freeway and no light synchronization.

On another note, this thread had reminded me that I need to take a drive up Hyde Park Road sometime. Haven't been on it since January 2014, before the construction started.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 6:06 AM
Sanity merchant

Everyone has bad drivers. Those who say London is the worst have never been to other unique places that have equally, or massively worse drivers.

My personal experience is London UK. Their drivers are fucking horrid. Paris as a contrast, was much better than them, but worse than us. Chicago was the worst out of any place that I have ever been to. Avoided no less than 4 accidents with sudden brake slamming, and 2 with horns and a fuck you finger... in 3 days.

It's relative people, you only know to complain about with what you've experienced. In Ontario, my experience with the worst is Milton, Hamilton, and Ottawa

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K85 View Post
Everyone has bad drivers. Those who say London is the worst have never been to other unique places that have equally, or massively worse drivers.

My personal experience is London UK. Their drivers are fucking horrid. Paris as a contrast, was much better than them, but worse than us. Chicago was the worst out of any place that I have ever been to. Avoided no less than 4 accidents with sudden brake slamming, and 2 with horns and a fuck you finger... in 3 days.

It's relative people, you only know to complain about with what you've experienced. In Ontario, my experience with the worst is Milton, Hamilton, and Ottawa
Hamiltonians are BAD! Poor drivers and aggressive.

I've driven a few times in Paris (and, more importantly, been on foot there many times) and found them to be very courteous and defensive drivers. Anywhere I've been in the UK, many of them just seem poor at driving- going to slow, overly cautious, poor at unusual maneuvers- but not aggressive. Londoners are aggressive- even when they are obviously good drivers able to control their vehicles well, they are eager to cut people off (particularly people on foot or bike) and assert their right of way even when they don't legally have it.

In Nevada (and probably plenty of other places) they have a saying "Don't stop on yellow and don't go on green." 'Cause the shithead behind you won't be stopping for the yellow, and the asshole in front of you is going to try to turn left as soon as it turns green. It's not nearly that bad in London, so maybe there are worse drivers than us. But, when walking around London, I try to be on guard at least as much as I would in Toronto or Waterloo.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 10:51 PM

Drove by Commissioners and Sarnia Rds today, widening are underway on both. Surprised with Commissioners seems to be really in gear, Sarnia Rd they'very been farting around at Wonderlwnd/Sarnia intersection for a bit. Both of these are long overdue, will greatly alleviate traffic to west end.

Wonderland still a fucking mess, nothing planned for the busy section between Springbank & Sarnia for at least a decade..

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 1:30 AM
User Registered

London's 2016 'Road Report' comes out April 6: https://www.london.ca/residents/Road...oadReport.aspx

Current underway projects: http://apps.london.ca/RightOfWay/

-----

The Commissioners project started last year which explains why things are in good shape right now. Looks like a top coat of asphalt is all that's needed between Andover and Viscount. Prep work between Wonderland and Andover is mostly done as well, so the 'real' construction could start as soon as the good weather hits us.

For anyone traveling out of the city to the 401, Highbury SB is down to 1 lane on the Thames River Bridge. Some pretty nasty potholes on it + a lot of crashes near or on it over the past year means its probably going to be down for sometime for a lot of patchwork. VMP / Wellington might be good alternatives for Easter Weekend travel.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 2:29 AM
User Registered

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 2:34 AM
The Vomit Bag.

sarnia is all dug up. Yay. We had to endure years of construction on Sarnia West of Wonderland, along with never-ending Hyde Park Roadwork.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 3:16 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
I just happened to see that they're planning to do something with the Windermere Road bridge just to the west of Adelaide. What exactly is going on there? Is the thing they put up in the 1960s getting too rusted and crumbly?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 3:44 PM

Anyone know what is happening at Southdale/Bostwick, I initially thought they were going ahead with the YMCA (which may be all part of it).

Also looks like they could be widening it at the same time but that does not really make sense either.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure