HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 4:16 PM

The saga continues.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...367670391.html

Group plans protest over development of Parker wetlands

By: Aldo Santin
Posted: 02/4/2016 9:56 AM

Advocates for the preservation of the Parker wetlands are planning a protest next week where an open house will be staged to unveil conceptual designs for development on the controversial property.

Cal Dueck, a spokesman for the Parker Wetlands Conservation Committee, said the group wants to mobilize public opinion in hopes they can stop the development.

Dueck said he and the group have not given up hope that the province will intervene and stop the corridor project.

"We're hoping the levels of government will do what they can to get (the Parker) land back and leave it for our children's children," Dueck said.

There's also an open house for "Oak Grove" which will be the new development going in by Marquess, or trying to go in. Feb 10 from 5pm-8pm at the Holiday Inn South.

Nothing is going to change the inevitable. A lot of mis-information out there. Also Hydro owns the land the Transit corridor is going on. So no legs to stand on there. The City will be replacing, at extensive cost, any plants that will be removed or frogs that need to be relocated.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 3:20 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Almost surprised some of the posters on here aren't demanding that bus drivers seats also be a functional toilet so they can go without needing to leave the bus.
I'd issue them diapers.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 4:31 AM

Can someone provide a link to a document with a breakdown of Phase I of the BRT?

It's been 4 yrs. since completion and I still don't have detailed figures.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 2:53 PM
BANNED

Should just screw the Parker leg and go back to original route.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 3:58 PM

A few days old. Smart card supposedly to be rolled out in the summer.

Winnipeg Transit smart-card system ready by summer, officials say
Transit will conduct final testing of system in spring before it goes into bus fleet by summer
CBC News

The much-delayed smart card system for Winnipeg Transit buses will be on the streets early this summer, say city officials.

The $17.74 million system was originally supposed to roll out in June 2013 but technological issues kept pushing the date back

Full story: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...ipeg-1.3474263

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 4:52 PM

^ My kid is gonna love it, punch in the cash online, like everything else lol. Looks like it'll be a summer timetable release for the general public..

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
Can someone provide a link to a document with a breakdown of Phase I of the BRT?

It's been 4 yrs. since completion and I still don't have detailed figures.
Here's a link to the Transit website. Not sure if there is a cost shown, but pretty sure it was $138M for the phase 1 of the transitway.

http://winnipegtransit.com/en/major-...ge-1-overview/

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 10:55 PM

Bomberjet, what I'm looking for would in in a PDF, most likely part of a presentation to Public Works, EPC and/or Council in the 2008-09 period.

What you posted resembles marketing material from WT.

To not have this information easily publicly availble means that Council acted in a non-transparent way and spent the $140 M when they did not have all of the information.

What also would help in lieu of Council briefs would be tender contract information.

I'm specifically looking for the final total cost of Osborne Station and the other stations, and the cost of the 300 metre tunnel under CN Main Line.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
Bomberjet, what I'm looking for would in in a PDF, most likely part of a presentation to Public Works, EPC and/or Council in the 2008-09 period.

What you posted resembles marketing material from WT.

To not have this information easily publicly availble means that Council acted in a non-transparent way and spent the $140 M when they did not have all of the information.

What also would help in lieu of Council briefs would be tender contract information.

I'm specifically looking for the final total cost of Osborne Station and the other stations, and the cost of the 300 metre tunnel under CN Main Line.
The two most expensive bits! haha I'll see what I can dig up. But you're likely not going to find much with going through the legal mumbo jumbos of the access to information act. Or whatever its called.

Osborne Station is somewhat neat as the bridge is a separate structure than the station building. I can not remember what the reasoning was. And tunnels are cool. So I like it haha This one is about 190m in length.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The two most expensive bits! haha I'll see what I can dig up. But you're likely not going to find much with going through the legal mumbo jumbos of the access to information act. Or whatever its called.

Osborne Station is somewhat neat as the bridge is a separate structure than the station building. I can not remember what the reasoning was. And tunnels are cool. So I like it haha This one is about 190m in length.
Not 100% sure what but I remember it had something to do with the way the existing bridge (train) was designed and how little room there was to do anything right over Osborne. I think the bus bridge is attached to the rail one or something.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 3:06 PM

Ya, not sure. I know the station building over hangs the existing rail bridge a bit. So proximity is definitely very tight there.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
^ My kid is gonna love it, punch in the cash online, like everything else lol. Looks like it'll be a summer timetable release for the general public..
Bear in mind that if you top up your card online there could be up to a 48 hour delay before it's available on the card. Probably the next day but worst case scenario. Purchases for the card done in a store will be available on the card immediately. Plus, you can have up to 4 different fare types on the card at the same time. Say cash, a monthly pass, a 7 day pass and a daily pass.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I think the bus bridge is attached to the rail one or something.
Negative. The BRT bridge was designed to accommodate a widened Osborne underpass. When that project is undertaken the CNR bridge will have to be replaced.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 1:43 PM
Ignore these four words.

I was driving west on McGillivary yesterday and noticed equipment and work being done on the grounds of the power lines south of McGillivary. Anyone know if it's related to the BRT line?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
I was driving west on McGillivary yesterday and noticed equipment and work being done on the grounds of the power lines south of McGillivary. Anyone know if it's related to the BRT line?
I know that McGillivary was scheduled to be closed Mar 8 2000 - 2359 for hydro work.

If there were towers / poles up with no wires on them then in a different location it may be for a move to a new alignment for the BRT.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 1:59 PM
Ignore these four words.

Thanks for that. I didn't catch if there were new towers being erected as I just caught a glimpse as I passed (being that it's a high speed route). {sarcasm}

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 3:19 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
Yes it is.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 3:30 PM
Ignore these four words.

Details? You'd think there would be some kind of announcement or news about this.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 4:31 PM

Hydro is replacing one of the tower lines ahead of transitway construction. They have a program to replace all the towers that run down that corridor to Bishop Grandin. Not sure when the next phase is. But likely after tranitways construction is complete. The transitway contractor will be responsible for relocating a smaller local distribution line that ruins down the centre of the corridor. All the large transmission towers are Hydro's responsibility to move.

Transitway construction will start this summer at U of M station. Full bore construction will begin over the 2016-2017 winter.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Bear in mind that if you top up your card online there could be up to a 48 hour delay before it's available on the card. Probably the next day but worst case scenario. Purchases for the card done in a store will be available on the card immediately. Plus, you can have up to 4 different fare types on the card at the same time. Say cash, a monthly pass, a 7 day pass and a daily pass.
That's a terrible system. Here use this card, except it doesn't update when you put money on it.

My credit card, for example, updates instantly when I make an electronic transfer. I was at the till buying tires in the states, realized shit my card is maxed out. I transferred cash on my mobile and in seconds it was available.

Should be the same for the transit card.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan