HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 7:03 PM

Gate 2 will be the main point of entrance for people taking buses as of 2017. The station will be open long before the transitway is there. So there's only 1 season left to close that gate.

The issues related to the SW corner, and just the south end in general were due to the tempo seating. Took up at least half of the walkable space on the concourse. Similar situation at the Banjo Bowl, and likely other games afterwards. I was in the loge seats at the SE corner, and it was quite packed back there.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'd bet the farm that the architects consulted with the TV networks to determine the number and placement of camera positions throughout the building. I suspect that additional camera positions were probably placed throughout the building to future-proof it even if they aren't necessarily needed right now. Although I do wonder why they wouldn't have just put seats in there for the time being until they actually need those positions.
Honestly with five cameras in the upper deck and likely a similar number on the lower concourse it would have made a lot more sense to go with three cameras on the west side and three on the east side for the reverse angle especially for a big game like the Grey Cup. That they had extra cameras running for that game and still were not using the east side positions I think speaks very loud volumes that they are unlikely to ever be used.

My bet is the architects got input on the camera positions and didn't clarify if they were needed on both sides and they just mirrored the design due to lack of additional input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I also wish TSN would use spidercams in all the stadiums where it's possible in the regular season too. They add so much to a broadcast and give great angles. I know it takes 2 people to operate but they're great... If I'm the CFL I put that in the next contract.
The spidercam is a huge addition even to the house feeds at the event as most often than not that was the feed being used. It did have me wondering a little though how much longer spidercams would be used as it would seem to be as easy replacement by a similar drone type aircraft with lower advance setup required. You might even be able to get a drone setup that could be a single operator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It is undeniably a pain in the ass. Between the traffic, bus hassles, the parking (if you drive) and the long security lines, Bomber games are a bit of a logistical ordeal these days. Back at CanadInns I literally pulled into a parking space 15 minutes before kickoff and got to my seat right in time for the anthem.
For the Grey Cup we pulled into parking with less that 15 minutes before the published start time and were into our seats before the pre-game entertainment started and that is with the significantly longer than usual security lines. Post-game traffic was the best I have seen at an IGF event as most people stayed for the post-game celebrations. That said, leaving at the traffic peak on the busiest of games adds about ten extra minutes on the way home about almost nothing extra on the way in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
Tons of people congregated in the north plaza near the Rum Hut. If possible, the area should be enlarged and segregated from the concourse as a ticketed area. THF in Hamilton does this to great effect.
I have said it before, for normal Bomber games the south end zone has a raised patio area that is ticketed. The Bombers should do something similar for the crowd the likes to stand by the Rum Hut in the north end zone, but raised and out of the concourse. Then make the existing concourse a no-standing area. It is worth noting though that the north concourse is actually significantly larger than the rest of the concourse already, likely to accommodate the Rum Hut.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 7:22 PM

Actually, the security/ticketed perimeter was expanded on the east side for the game. We were about to walk from the lot directly into Gate 3 when I noticed a group of tents between the street and the stadium further south. Correctly assumed that this was the "sponsor village" present at most of the Grey Cups that I have been to. However, this time it was fenced off and deemed inside the security/ticketed perimeter. A bit of a line-up to get wanded and show tickets, but not that bad. After pics with Pinball Clemons and Geroy Simon, autographs from Simoni Lawrence, Matt Bucknor, etc. and free pizza, scarves, hand warmers, etc., we simply walked up a set of stairs and in what appeared to be a "smoking door" and into the east lower bowl concourse. One of the security guards commented that beer was actually a little cheaper outside than in.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 1:17 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

LaPolice signed on as offence coordainator. When O'Shea gets fired, guess who the coach will be?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 7:45 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't those extra camera positions put in for FIFA? I don't remember seeing them there when IGF opened.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 8:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
LaPolice signed on as offence coordainator. When O'Shea gets fired, guess who the coach will be?
First smart thing O'Shea has done in his term as HC, hiring his future replacement pure genius!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 1:52 AM

I see some changes in the Board of Directors according to this press release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - January 21, 2016

WINNIPEG, MB - The Winnipeg Football Club Board of Directors is pleased to announce the appointment of a new Board Chair, and the election of two new Directors to the Board to replace two retiring Directors.

Effective January 1, 2016, Jeff Martin was appointed Chair of the Board of the Winnipeg Football Club, replacing Brock Bulbuck, who has held the role since April 2013. Bulbuck will continue on the Board as Past Chair.

Also effective January 1, 2016, David Asper and Bill Watchorn retired from the Board of Directors, as part of the scheduled retirement of Directors after having made significant contributions to the organization over the last several years.

Craig Evans and Barb Gamey have been elected to the Board, also effective January 1, 2016.

Both new members were chosen through the open public nomination process initiated by the Club in March 2013. With these elections, the number of new Board members elected from the community at large has grown to eight since the process began. The Club will continue to benefit from an open public nomination process to fill future Board requirements.

Nominees were considered from the past pool of nominees as well as new applications submitted in 2015. Unless they indicate otherwise, all nominees will remain in consideration for future vacancies.

"We continue to be impressed by the quality of individuals who have expressed interest in volunteer service on the Board of the WFC. We would like to welcome our two new Directors as well as thank retiring Directors David Asper and Bill Watchorn for their many years of dedicated volunteer service, including their tireless work related to securing and opening the Football Club?s new stadium, Investors Group Field," said Board Chair Jeff Martin.

BIOGRAPHIES

Craig Evans is the Chief Executive Officer for Granny's Poultry Cooperative, Manitoba?s largest poultry processor and also serves as Corporate Secretary to the Board of Directors. Craig has over 30 years of business management, human resource, and marketing experience in food manufacturing and agriculture with a national consulting firm, major food manufacturer and a multi-national agricultural and biotechnology company. Craig holds a B.Comm from the University of British Columbia and an MBA from Queen's University and has served on several industry, organization, and community boards. Craig has spent his career developing and implementing unique and practical business strategies to help companies flourish and grow. Despite growing up in Vancouver and Montreal, Craig has been a longtime fan and supporter of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Barb Gamey is Chief Executive Officer and co-founder of Payworks, a national workforce management service provider located in Winnipeg with ten regional offices and 200 employees across Canada. Gamey is dedicated to community involvement; she is the Past President of Southwood Golf & Country Club, the Current Chair of the Prairie Theatre Exchange Foundation Trust, and the former Chair of the Women's Enterprise Centre, as well as an ongoing supporter of numerous other community and charitable organizations.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 5:02 PM

^^ Since starting the public nomination process the professional backgrounds of the board and the gender diversity has definitely increased. This is likely a strong move from the team. In the past it seemed the board was dominated by former players and other football people. As the board sets the direction of the organization and helps with non-football related operations this will be key to building a strong team going forward. If the non-football side gets to be strong it makes it easy for the football operations to do what is needed to have a winning team.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 5:11 PM

The funny thing is that the board now has more than a few people with reputations as successful businesspeople with solid track records. So why does the organization continue to bumble so badly? Or have they turned the corner yet? I thought they had, but the way the Grey Cup fizzled, I have my doubts.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 5:38 PM

You need to keep in mind the team won the right to host the Grey Cup and then spun it off to its own organization in which David Asper has a significant leadership role.

I think in the non-football operations side which is where the board influence is the highest things have started to turn the corner. The Fanatic Fan Zone might have been late to arrive at IGF but the spirit had the right intent. The reduction in parking, albeit small, shows enough sign of the organization making a change favouring its customers. Freezing all ticket prices for 2016 is again a customer focused change.

On the operation side the biggest change I would like to see happen for 2106 is to get a temporary road and transit station happening at Gate 2. If they could make better use of the transit flow out of the site it would improve the experience for everyone regardless of how they got there. Also having more customers enter IGF through Gate 2 would lighten the volume at the other gates meaning that people would move through them quicker.

The changes are small and a little slow to come but the organization, outside of football operations, seems to be changing for the better under Miller. Now if the football operations side could get their act together. I think they have started to make progress but we will see more on that next week.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 5:39 PM

I am more than pleased that Asper and Watchorn have moved on. I can't believe Asper was still involved after his Stadium bullshit railroading.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
On the operation side the biggest change I would like to see happen for 2106 is to get a temporary road and transit station happening at Gate 2.
Well, you've got 90 years to make that happen.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 7:22 PM

To early to revive the thread...Oh I forgot we had Weston signed..

Bombers go back to royal blue

Quote:
Weston Dressler has been wearing the green of the Saskatchewan Roughriders for the last eight years, but he's excited about his new team's new look that was unveiled this morning.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/05/1...-to-royal-blue

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 7:44 PM

^ I like they new jerseys but (I'm putting my cheap Winnipegger hat on here), they need to slow down on the constant new versions. Since 2004 this is the 4th different primary set the Bombers have used not even counting all the retros and third jerseys including several that were only used once... if you expect fans to throw down $200+ for new jerseys at least keep them around for more than just a few years!

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 7:56 PM

haha My girlfriend said the same. "But.. I just bought you a new jersey like last year!" Yeah.. NHL uniforms are changing to Adidas after next season too. Better hold on to your wallet.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 9:32 PM

One could always just continue to wear an older jersey until it wears out. I know I'll be doing that. It won't make me any less of a fan.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 9:34 PM

It isn't just the Bombers that are changing but the CFL as a whole. They seem to be on four year contracts for uniforms and within each of the four years there is at least one alternate jersey to rollout. I am betting the Adidas deal isn't any different and there is some form of third jersey next season.

The old uniform was introduced for 2012, the retro in 2013, the signature "camo" look in 2014 and no changes in 2015. My guess is something similar is planned this time out. I wonder what the Bombers will do for an alternate this time as you can't pump out another royal blue...

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
It isn't just the Bombers that are changing but the CFL as a whole. They seem to be on four year contracts for uniforms and within each of the four years there is at least one alternate jersey to rollout. I am betting the Adidas deal isn't any different and there is some form of third jersey next season.

The old uniform was introduced for 2012, the retro in 2013, the signature "camo" look in 2014 and no changes in 2015. My guess is something similar is planned this time out. I wonder what the Bombers will do for an alternate this time as you can't pump out another royal blue...
Maybe they'll go back to navy blue

If I'm not mistaken, navy blue was the original "retro" blue colour used prior to the royal blue, which was one of the reasons they switched to navy blue in the mid 90s

With respect to these jersey's though, I'm a fan of them. Both the Home & away jerseys are nice. I like how the away jersey's represent blue as well

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
To early to revive the thread...Oh I forgot we had Weston signed..

Bombers go back to royal blue

Weston Dressler has been wearing the green of the Saskatchewan Roughriders for the last eight years, but he's excited about his new team's new look that was unveiled this morning

Bombers road jerseys look sharp!
Funny, Weston doesn't look excited.......more like, "what the hell have I done?"

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 2:57 PM

Was talking about this more with family over the weekend. Apparently the Stamps rolled out three Adidas jerseys from day one, red, white and black. In terms of the Bombers first alternate I am betting it is basically the road jersey with the white body swapped for a gold one. Do a few other tweaks. before the gold away jersey that Bombers had a gold alternate jersey. Pretty sure it was at last alternate before the change to the 2012 Rebook series.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan