HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 10:55 PM
BANNED

City's really buzzing lately, probably eating out more than I should.

Cucina - Rotisserie Chicken, really good, light tasting meal. Decor's real classy.

Bank & Barron - amazing space, drinks were good, food was a bit disappointing. Would go back for drinks for sure, prob not for food next time. I hear they have a DJ on Frid/sat nights. Space has so much potential!

Bensonhurst - tried the Capricciosa Californian style pizza this time. Pretty good overall, still like Posto that much more though, so much flavor there.

Local on Stephen - Finally wasn't completely booked in there, cool place for some after work drinks.

Bonterra-nice place, food was good, but not my favorite. Bit too exotic for my taste buds I guess. I'm more used to traditional Italian. Settled for the lamb dish cause there weren't really any common meat options. Was expecting a bit more for the price though.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 10:09 PM
Crunchin' the numbers.

I'm sure I'm not the only east downtown worker who visited Mezza Mediterranean Grill, the amazing (95% on Urbanspoon) shawarma joint in the base of Rocky Mountain Place that was closed a couple of years ago by the structural defects in the building.

They're back! The owners now operate Mercatinos in the second floor of the Bow. It's mostly in the same vein as Marcello's and Olly Fresco's in Suncor and Bow Valley; a buffet and salad bar, salads and sandwiches to go, a meal station. But the "deli" section in the back on the right side as you come in has the same shawarmas, $8 just like old times. Hell, Reena even remembered me, and I was only an occasional customer.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 11:14 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeBaby View Post
I'm sure I'm not the only east downtown worker who visited Mezza Mediterranean Grill, the amazing (95% on Urbanspoon) shawarma joint in the base of Rocky Mountain Place that was closed a couple of years ago by the structural defects in the building.

They're back! The owners now operate Mercatinos in the second floor of the Bow. It's mostly in the same vein as Marcello's and Olly Fresco's in Suncor and Bow Valley; a buffet and salad bar, salads and sandwiches to go, a meal station. But the "deli" section in the back on the right side as you come in has the same shawarmas, $8 just like old times. Hell, Reena even remembered me, and I was only an occasional customer.
That's good to hear, but I'm assuming they're only open M-F?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 2:31 AM

So is Shikiji in Bridgeland ever opening? Did they clone Michelangelo and he's painting Frescos in the entire interior?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 2:31 AM
Crunchin' the numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
That's good to hear, but I'm assuming they're only open M-F?
Yeah, 6 AM to 5 PM M-F only. The downside of a +15 location.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeBaby View Post

That's great news. Glad to hear that they were able to bounce back with a vengeance. Sounds like their closing was a blessing in disguise.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 3:20 PM

Does anyone know if we'll ever see the return of Maharajah? It was the curry place next door and was fairly tasty...

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 3:29 PM
Here and There

The main Dish in Bridgleland is an excellent dinner place. And here I thought they were mainly a breakfast joint.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 3:34 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
The main Dish in Bridgleland is an excellent dinner place. And here I thought they were mainly a breakfast joint.
Main Dish is amazing in general. I've only been there for breakfast though.

Count me as another who thinks Bridgeland is a definite up-and-comer in Calgary. For me though, it just isn't at the level of amenity that I would need to live there.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Count me as another who thinks Bridgeland is a definite up-and-comer in Calgary. For me though, it just isn't at the level of amenity that I would need to live there.
Since we are currently have one foot in Bridgeland (should be two by the end of the month), my wife and I have been poking around the neighborhood, and have been surprised with how many amenities it actually does have. I think you could be pretty self-contained in the area if you wish. Yes, it's known for it's restaurants (can't wait for Black Pig to open, and I just saw that there's a Ramen place going in next door), but there's also a lot of other more mundane stuff that people need in their life: medical/dental offices, banks, schools, churches of pretty much any denomination, park-space, access to the zoo/bikepaths, LRT, and various little yoga studios, furniture stores, cigar shops, and little hidden retail shops. The community association also seems really active, so there seems to be a nice neighborhoody vibe to the place.

For a single guy like yourself, the Beltline is clearly the better option, but I think for people who are in little more a of "transitional" stage (ie. have kids so need more space, or where they want most of the ammenities, but don't really need to be in the middle of the action all the time), I think it's a great option.

The biggest issue I see is the lack of a big grocery store (although according to Jpold on CP, it looks like there may be a Sunterra going into Meredith Block).

Oh, and in case anyone missed it, a great article in the Herald over the weekend about two of the areas more unique businesses:

The New Kings of Bridgeland.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 1:49 PM
not a NIMBY

SAIT is great

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 4:27 PM
Here and There

For groceries, family foods just across deerfoot is pretty good actually. Lots of products that arent carried by co-op or safeway.

The meat and bakery section are also surprising.......and they have some local bakery stuff and even some cool winnipeg bakery goodies, like ice cream cakes that I have never seen anywhere. They have also re-branded recently and cleaned up.

Im loving this area so far, but yes, definately not as walkable if you are on the east hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
Since we are currently have one foot in Bridgeland (should be two by the end of the month), my wife and I have been poking around the neighborhood, and have been surprised with how many amenities it actually does have. I think you could be pretty self-contained in the area if you wish. Yes, it's known for it's restaurants (can't wait for Black Pig to open, and I just saw that there's a Ramen place going in next door), but there's also a lot of other more mundane stuff that people need in their life: medical/dental offices, banks, schools, churches of pretty much any denomination, park-space, access to the zoo/bikepaths, LRT, and various little yoga studios, furniture stores, cigar shops, and little hidden retail shops. The community association also seems really active, so there seems to be a nice neighborhoody vibe to the place.

For a single guy like yourself, the Beltline is clearly the better option, but I think for people who are in little more a of "transitional" stage (ie. have kids so need more space, or where they want most of the ammenities, but don't really need to be in the middle of the action all the time), I think it's a great option.

The biggest issue I see is the lack of a big grocery store (although according to Jpold on CP, it looks like there may be a Sunterra going into Meredith Block).

Oh, and in case anyone missed it, a great article in the Herald over the weekend about two of the areas more unique businesses:

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 9:27 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
For groceries, family foods just across deerfoot is pretty good actually. Lots of products that arent carried by co-op or safeway.

The meat and bakery section are also surprising.......and they have some local bakery stuff and even some cool winnipeg bakery goodies, like ice cream cakes that I have never seen anywhere. They have also re-branded recently and cleaned up.

Im loving this area so far, but yes, definately not as walkable if you are on the east hill.
is it just me, or does Family Foods have much better pricing on meats than say Safeway (I don't shop enough at Co-op to make a comparison)

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 11:43 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

I pick up things often at LP Family Foods on 17th SW and that place is a godsend- they always have bananas and same price as Safeway and there's always at least on produce surprise, like cheap raspberries or cabbage or whatever- but they charge more for ice cream than does Mac's. I don't get that. But I love having a reasonably full-service grocery store a block from home. But I've never bought meat there.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 4:46 PM
IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
is it just me, or does Family Foods have much better pricing on meats than say Safeway (I don't shop enough at Co-op to make a comparison)
You are correct, Family Foods has better meat prices than both Safeway and Co-op, somewhat higher than Superstore. I find the quality to to be better too - although quality varies from store to store depending on how good the butcher is.

Family Foods wholesale source is is the same as Safeway's (MacDonald's Consolidated) - with some added stock I suspect that particular owner in Mayland Heights has chosen to bring in to service the Italian/Germanic market in the area. While the store isn't all new and freshly renovated like many Safeways, I'll take it for local convenience, lack of line ups, and 'good enough' selection. I grit my teeth and hit Walmart/Superstore for the few items I can't get, or can get much cheaper while I'm in the mega stores.

With Sobey's taking over the wholesale business, I'm waiting with trepidation to see what happens to the Family Foods. I generally don't shop Sobey's much as I don't like their store brands - if these brands come to Family Foods, I'll have to see if I can live with them or not.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 7:01 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferreth View Post
You are correct, Family Foods has better meat prices than both Safeway and Co-op, somewhat higher than Superstore. I find the quality to to be better too - although quality varies from store to store depending on how good the butcher is.

Family Foods wholesale source is is the same as Safeway's (MacDonald's Consolidated) - with some added stock I suspect that particular owner in Mayland Heights has chosen to bring in to service the Italian/Germanic market in the area. While the store isn't all new and freshly renovated like many Safeways, I'll take it for local convenience, lack of line ups, and 'good enough' selection. I grit my teeth and hit Walmart/Superstore for the few items I can't get, or can get much cheaper while I'm in the mega stores.

With Sobey's taking over the wholesale business, I'm waiting with trepidation to see what happens to the Family Foods. I generally don't shop Sobey's much as I don't like their store brands - if these brands come to Family Foods, I'll have to see if I can live with them or not.
glad you can confirm my suspicion about meat prices
I love Family Foods (Mayland Heights location) for the non-existent lineups (you may have to wait for 1 person ahead of you, but almost never more than 2), convenience and 'good enough' selection like you said.
The smaller vintage early-1960s store size makes a quick trip easy and stress-free if you just need a few items as opposed to Superstore or Walmart and their gargantuan stores.

I'm content with Family Foods offering most Safeway brand products (which can be usually had at slight discount from an actually Safeway store), but I totally forgot that Sobey's is taking them over. I hope this does not lead to a reduction in quality.

As Rusty said one can find berries or other produce sometimes on special for a great price, but yeah ice cream is priced high (unless on sale). I find ice cream reasonable at Safeway when it's on sale.

freeweed would appreciate that they have Winnipeg's Jeanne's bakery cakes. I have yet to try. do they live up to the hype ex-Winnipeggers?

like kw said they have some local bakery products: Pita and Balady bread (love this type-a staple in Egypt, perfect for quick homemade pizzas), and baklava from Byblos bakery. not sure what other offerings of local bread they have?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 7:05 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Bigtime is the harbinger of what becomes 'cool', neighbourhood wise. He lived in Bridgeland when it was pioneering to become trendy, East Beltline when almost no one called the area home, and now Sunnyside which is becoming ever more popular (Pixel, Lido, etc) and real estate starting to increase in greater value (flood aside).

Bigtime where's the next cool 'hood?

Last edited by Wigs; Mar 22, 2014 at 7:17 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 7:16 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post

I'm looking forward to Meredith block getting finished. should be nice infill and potentially with a Sunterra, even better!

I really enjoyed that article. Only been to Bridgeland Market once (fills basic needs if you're right in Bridgeland, but I'm in Renfrew so not as convenient) and saw Yousef (didn't talk he was busy), and also patronized the owner's parents resto 'Tazza' across the street (yum) but their hours suck (not open past 6:30pm, not open Sunday).

I love Lukes Drugmart. where else in Calgary can you get your prescription filled and while waiting get a cup of Portland's 'Stumptown' coffee, and either browse through the latest vinyl, or shop for basic groceries (basement) Everytime you go to Lukes they seem to have something new!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 2:46 AM
IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post

like kw said they have some local bakery products: Pita and Balady bread (love this type-a staple in Egypt, perfect for quick homemade pizzas), and baklava from Byblos bakery. not sure what other offerings of local bread they have?
Local bread selection sucks now. Dempster's has taken over most of the shelf space, so I suspect FF had to give up local stuff to keep the expanded shelf space requirement for Dempster's. One tactic large producers use force smaller players out of the market.

They have one good bread of 'no brand name' at the deli section - whole grain half loaf thing that must come from a Safeway Bakery, so I'm buying it while I can. Just keep in mind my version of 'good bread' is very Germanic taste, and picky to boot

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 3:55 AM

Got a Facebook MSG from a friend who is quoting immrfabulous blog. The blog post says that Mill St brewhouse is going where 17th ave Melrose used to be located.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation