HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 11:14 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Because he's a known right-wing troll (who's been banned before) that you refuse to get rid of and I refuse to entertain. I'm not wasting my time and several other people have already countered him.
He's right wing and entitled to his opinion. You don't have to entertain him. You don't have to respond to him at all. This isn't a liberal/ left wing echo chamber and he was brought back (by me) because he was unfairly banned in the first place.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
A "private" street is not maintained by any government entity; I would assume a homeowner's association pays for street maintenance of a private street neighborhood, or individual property owners pay for their section of the street.

That being said, whether a street is private or not, I think it still might be open for public access, but I don't know the laws. I don't doubt that the laws differ among the various states.
I don't claim to be an expert either, especially since every private street in St. Louis can be different, but apparently some private streets in St. Louis, either all or in part, are maintained by the city of St. Louis. This opens up the question if pedestrians and the rest of the general public can be kept out.

This was actually a topic of a legal roundtable on St. Louis Public Radio immediately after this incident happened.

Edit: Found it:
https://news.stlpublicradio.org/show...s-was-it-legal

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
He's right wing and entitled to his opinion. You don't have to entertain him. You don't have to respond to him at all. This isn't a liberal/ left wing echo chamber and he was brought back (by me) because he was unfairly banned in the first place.
Hear, hear.

I'm hard left on most domestic social issues, but the last thing I want is to spend my time in an echo chamber, unchallenged and unprovoked. It's intellectually lazy. That's why I like poking the SLO bear from time to time.

If you don't like Pedestrian's opinion, challenge him. Don't take the indolent way out.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 5:59 AM

There is nothing to challenge, it's not good faith discussion, just his ramblings and false information, not wasting my life on it. Some of you are really funny, skyscraperpage is the furthest thing from a liberal echo chamber so I don't think we need to keep a troll around for the sake of political diversity.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 6:51 AM

Quote:
There is nothing to challenge, it's not good faith discussion, just his ramblings and false information, not wasting my life on it. Some of you are really funny, skyscraperpage is the furthest thing from a liberal echo chamber so I don't think we need to keep a troll around for the sake of political diversity.
If this isn't a good faith discussion, why do you keep participating in it?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 9:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Ok, some are on private property. But generally people who break things are in the rioter category, not like the vast majority of protesters. That was the point you denied.
Many protesters do break things, including unjust laws and fragile sensibilities. Protesters, rioters, whatever...they're not intended to be respectable, comfortable displays of patriotism anyway. The same folks who claim they are all for peaceful protests during the more disruptive demonstrations over George Floyd's death are now back to calling kneeling NFL players sons of bitches.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
If this isn't a good faith discussion, why do you keep participating in it?
His discussion is not good faith, and I'm not discussing with him.

And I wont be discussing this anymore.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Yeah, definitely not a liberal echo chamber here. That "City Murder Rates" thread alone frequently crosses the line from objective discussion to xenophobic shitfest. And it's okay with me that this isn't a liberal echo chamber, but let's not kid ourselves about the slant of discussion here.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 4:18 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Yeah, definitely not a liberal echo chamber here. That "City Murder Rates" thread alone frequently crosses the line from objective discussion to xenophobic shitfest. And it's okay with me that this isn't a liberal echo chamber, but let's not kid ourselves about the slant of discussion here.
I have not browsed that thread in a while but the topic is pretty macabre; people keeping a running tally on murders in their respective cities. Not surprised it devolved into a shit show.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 10:37 PM

The irony of course is that the "protesters" are often from wealthier families than these gun-flashing boomers.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 10:51 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
The irony of course is that the "protesters" are often from wealthier families than these gun-flashing boomers.
Okay, I've toned down my initial response to this as I'm not quite sure what kind of point you're trying to make. (Based on the quotation marks, I probably had it right the first time.) But I think your statement is nonsense and I challenge you to support it with evidence.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
The gun-toting personal injury attorneys who own the 18,000 square foot Faust Mansion (zillow puts its estimated value at $1,713,289) also own another huge mansion in St. Louis, which they use for their law offices.

Between their very high annual household income and their significant real estate assets, almost nobody in America is wealthier than these gun-toting Karens. Your assertion is ridiculous on its face, and made in bad faith.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 11:20 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
The gun-toting personal injury attorneys who own the 18,000 square foot Faust Mansion (zillow puts its estimated value at $1,713,289) also own another huge mansion in St. Louis, which they use for their law offices.

Between their very high annual household income and their significant real estate assets, almost nobody in America is wealthier than these gun-toting Karens. Your assertion is ridiculous on its face, and made in bad faith.
thanks. you said it better than i did.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 11:00 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emprise du Lion View Post
I don't claim to be an expert either, especially since every private street in St. Louis can be different, but apparently some private streets in St. Louis, either all or in part, are maintained by the city of St. Louis. This opens up the question if pedestrians and the rest of the general public can be kept out.

This was actually a topic of a legal roundtable on St. Louis Public Radio immediately after this incident happened.

Edit: Found it:
https://news.stlpublicradio.org/show...s-was-it-legal
umm pensively sticking my head in this room.

i have family that lives on these private streets. if you are white and/or well dressed you can cut through without the security bothering you on the poshest streets. also helps to know the gate codes so you dont have to double back...the double-back will get ya...but anyway it’s a mish-mosh of who is responsible for what. the “private” aspect of these streets is primarily an additional line of defense against “undesirables,” nothing more at the end of the day. the street maintenance is often crap, lol.

also the string of pre-war private streets extend miles beyond the city of st louis into adjacent pre-war municipalities and so who is resposible for what gets muddied even further.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 11:16 AM

also the funny thing about these private streets (at least the ones by wash u) is that it is mostly liberal wealth, endless BLM signs, and regularly see small BLM protests (gatherings) from the residents children guarded BY private security or a squad car.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
also the funny thing about these private streets (at least the ones by wash u) is that it is mostly liberal wealth, endless BLM signs, and regularly see small BLM protests (gatherings) from the residents children guarded BY private security or a squad car.
I mean, it isn't surprising. Rich vintage neighborhoods, especially near a university, will be left-leaning, or at least centrist. The MAGA crowd doesn't typically live in 100-yo in-town neighborhoods.

Even McMansion-land doesn't seem particularly MAGA, unless you go way the hell out. Suburban soccer moms and their golfing mid-level manager husbands are typically centrists who care about schools and local issues. You really have to go to the exurban fringe to see MAGA signs outnumber BLM signs. And obviously rural areas are solid red.

My brother lives in McMansion-land, 30 miles outside Detroit, and there are multiple BLM signs on his street. Dem-leaning area, but only very recently.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 1:37 PM

* double post

Last edited by Centropolis; Aug 4, 2020 at 1:50 PM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I mean, it isn't surprising. Rich vintage neighborhoods, especially near a university, will be left-leaning, or at least centrist. The MAGA crowd doesn't typically live in 100-yo in-town neighborhoods.

Even McMansion-land doesn't seem particularly MAGA, unless you go way the hell out. Suburban soccer moms and their golfing mid-level manager husbands are typically centrists who care about schools and local issues. You really have to go to the exurban fringe to see MAGA signs outnumber BLM signs. And obviously rural areas are solid red.

My brother lives in McMansion-land, 30 miles outside Detroit, and there are multiple BLM signs on his street. Dem-leaning area, but only very recently.
still some throwback to “yankee” white shoe republicans (before the party merged with the twentieth century texas/california faction) never trumpers. mostly supplanted by machine dem petit bourguese and liberals following the decline of the midwestern executive class and old money dispersion.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 3:39 PM

Quote:

... the “private” aspect of these streets is primarily an additional line of defense against “undesirables,” nothing more at the end of the day. the street maintenance is often crap, lol.
Also, if a street is privately maintained and/or owned, being that we live in a litigious society, even if public access is allowed on a private street, I would assume there are liability issues if say someone walking their dog trips and falls because of a pothole or uneven sidewalk.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 4:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Are you really saying gated communities are heavily democrat?

Are you REALLY saying that?

REALLY?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions