HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
When I was in training at UF (Shands Hospital), and later when I was living in Orlando, nobody ever heard of UCF or USF if they existed back then (I think they were essentially "community colleges"). THE schools in FL were UF, FL State, U. of Miami and maybe, way down the list, FL Atlantic. There were some other smaller private schools like Rollins in Winter Park and Stetson that weren't bad but got little notice.
That makes sense depending on when that was. UCF isn’t even 60 years old. But over the past couple of decades, UCF and USF have boomed and improved. Too much rapid growth to not have a couple solid alternatives to the big 3. I imagine it was the same in CA for schools like UCSD, UC-Irvine, UCSB, which just hit their strides a little earlier.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad9 View Post
That makes sense depending on when that was. UCF isn’t even 60 years old. But over the past couple of decades, UCF and USF have boomed and improved. Too much rapid growth to not have a couple solid alternatives to the big 3. I imagine it was the same in CA for schools like UCSD, UC-Irvine, UCSB, which just hit their strides a little earlier.
Reminds me there's one other educational asset in Florida we have overlooked: Embry-Riddle Aeronautical U. If your goal is to be a pilot or otherwise in aviation, this is one you should know about because it's kind of unique. And the perps of 9/11 did their research because they evidently did know about it--it has 2 campuses, one in Daytona Beach, FL and one Prescott, AZ and I think the 9/11 guys took lessons at the one in AZ.

As it claims, "It is the largest accredited university system specializing in aviation and aerospace . . . " and offers degrees through the doctorate level in aerospace engineering and ET as well as the more practical aspects of flying.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 1:38 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
UC Irvine was founded in 1965 and it's now one of the top public schools in the country. It also predates the city of Irvine...
In a similar vein, UCLA was founded in 1919 and cracked US News' top 20 before it hit the century mark.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
In a similar vein, UCLA was founded in 1919 and cracked US News' top 20 before it hit the century mark.
Well, for academic history buffs:

Quote:
Upon his death in 1873, Johns Hopkins granted $7 million—then the largest philanthropic endowment in U.S. history, and worth over $150 million today—to establish a hospital and associated training colleges, a university, and an orphanage in his name.

The Johns Hopkins University opened in downtown Baltimore on February 22, 1876, with Daniel Coit Gilman as its first president. Gilman and the trustees dedicated the university to “Knowledge for the world,” making original research the backbone of the institution. Though built on existing German university models, this was a big change from what American colleges were doing at the time. To that end, Gilman launched a university publication agency in 1878 to print and issue their research. Later renamed the Johns Hopkins University Press, it is now the oldest continuously running university press in the U.S.

The School of Nursing and hospital followed in 1889, with the School of Medicine completed in 1893. Because of the contributions of Mary Garrett and the trustees’ daughters toward the School of Medicine, it became the first coeducational graduate medical school, with women accepted on the same terms as men . . . Most “medical schools” in the U.S. at this time were basically trade schools, which didn’t require a degree . . . .
https://theculturetrip.com/north-ame...ns-university/

So,

- First US "research university" modeled after those in Europe
- One of, if not THE first medical schools in the US offering a degree
- First co-ed medical school in the US

I don't know how long it's been highly ranked by outsiders but I do know that when Duke University established its medical school, it raided the Johns Hopkins faculty for its own with considerable success. And I also know that Hopkins has been the #1 US university for total R&D expenditures for a long time (meaning in 144 years the others haven't caught up yet):

https://ncsesdata.nsf.gov/profiles/s...Source&ds=herd

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 1:42 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Well, for academic history buffs:

https://theculturetrip.com/north-ame...ns-university/

So,

- First US "research university" modeled after those in Europe
- One of, if not THE first medical schools in the US offering a degree
- First co-ed medical school in the US

I don't know how long it's been highly ranked by outsiders but I do know that when Duke University established its medical school, it raided the Johns Hopkins faculty for its own with considerable success. And I also know that Hopkins has been the #1 US university for total R&D expenditures for a long time (meaning in 144 years the others haven't caught up yet):

https://ncsesdata.nsf.gov/profiles/s...Source&ds=herd
Yeah between the space institute, applied physics lab, and the med school, JHU is hard to beat in research expenditures.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 4:44 PM

Quote:
The entire notion of ranking schools by number is a little ridiculous (yes, I know I initially mentioned “top 50”). . I think of them more as tiers. You have the truly elite schools like the Ivies, Stanford, Chicago, MIT, etc. Then you have the “near” elite schools (let’s be honest, these are still elite to 99% of the US population) like Vandy, WashU, Rice, etc. Then there’s a broad category of very good schools like the ones you mentioned. Most Big 10 schools, the Villanovas and Pepperdines of the world, UGA and UF...the list goes on for a while. Most of these schools won’t wow people by name prestige, but are nonetheless respected institutions that will vary widely on which is “better” depending on a student’s goals. It doesn’t (or shouldn’t) really matter whether that school is ranked 41 or 73.
Right, the ranking #s are ridiculous and just gives people something to shout about being "top 10" or "top whatever". The tier approach is certainly more valid, if only based on the perception of prestige/history. It's just that within the really broad tiers of the "near elite" and "very good" schools, there exists so much variation in mission, scope, output, and "reputation" of the institutions.

I guess when I see state universities like Georgia, Florida, and Florida State now considered on the same level or superior to Washington, Penn State, Texas, Cal campuses, Illinois, and Wisconsin... it just gives me pause.

Quote:
I don't disagree, I was just trying to list the "best" schools in each metro, not the set of schools that are elite in each Metro (that's why Houston and FIU were listed). I'm not implying that all the schools I listed are elite. But you're right, I forgot about the elite liberal arts colleges along the main line (Bryn Mawr, Haverford), although those don't have the same impact as a major university. And of course whether Villanova is actually better than Drexel or Temple is unclear (the latter two are more research-oriented) and I don't really know. Anecdotally, I personally know researches at Drexel and Penn but not the other schools in Philly, but of course I only have a narrow view of a tiny slice of the academic world.
Yeah, I get what you were getting at. And you're right that the really big southern metros of DFW, Houston, and Miami/South Florida are certainly not considered to be major academic centers like other peer metros are. DFW area's most prestigious universities are SMU and TCU... which are definitely good schools with comprehensive offerings, but are far from being considered among the more selective national universities. DFW has two good schools that have transcended their Christian underpinnings, but are just really not in that higher tier. The Houston and Miami metros are more similar in that they have a single highly-selective top national university (in Rice and Miami, respectively), but then there's a HUGE step down to their next major representative (Houston and FIU, respectively). Not that UH and FIU don't provide quality education, they do. But their mission is to provide a 4-year higher education to the generally local public in a non-selective manner.

Philadelphia is an interesting case, really. Because it has Penn, and then there's also a major drop to the next level of "prestige". It's no Boston in that regard. Philly has tons of highly-regarded schools, but in that group is a ton of "big name" liberal arts colleges, which like you said, are not the same as major universities. After Penn, it's a pretty big drop to Villanova or Temple or Drexel, in terms of prestige. It's certainly not Boston's smaller step down from Harvard and MIT down to Tufts or Brandeis or BU or BC.

Quote:
Really? That’s news to me. When I was in high school in Florida, UCF and USF were pretty well respected. Florida is obviously huge and growing, and the relatively limited number of established universities (UF, Miami, and FSU really) mean that UCF/USF get an overflow of smart students who don’t go to the three primary schools.
UCF and USF have really come a long way, even the past 10 years. Florida public schools in general have done so, coinciding with the state's boom in population in the past half century or so. Miami has always been the private, more elite school with a national student body and price tag to match. While UF was always the "good" state school and FSU the "place anybody with a pulse could get into".

The state has pumped a lot of $ into UF and FSU over the past decade in particular in hopes of getting them both into the "top tier", which long only had Miami as its state representative. UF has really boosted its quality of offerings and research output with its change in focus from being a "state school" to a national university that attracts academics from all over. FSU still pretty much occupies that 3rd spot as the good, big state school that isn't terribly hard to get into, but still offers a very good education, and has more of a name than a Central Florida or South Florida or Florida Atlantic or Florida Gulf Coast, etc.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 8:47 PM

Quote:
The entire notion of ranking schools by number is a little ridiculous (yes, I know I initially mentioned “top 50”). . I think of them more as tiers. You have the truly elite schools like the Ivies, Stanford, Chicago, MIT, etc. Then you have the “near” elite schools (let’s be honest, these are still elite to 99% of the US population) like Vandy, WashU, Rice, etc. Then there’s a broad category of very good schools like the ones you mentioned. Most Big 10 schools, the Villanovas and Pepperdines of the world, UGA and UF...the list goes on for a while. Most of these schools won’t wow people by name prestige, but are nonetheless respected institutions that will vary widely on which is “better” depending on a student’s goals. It doesn’t (or shouldn’t) really matter whether that school is ranked 41 or 73.
The "ivy League" is a sports league, not a grouping of the "best schools". There's Harvard, Yale and Princeton and then there's the rest and there are better non-Ivy schools than some of those. They are all good, but not in the top 10 just because they play football against Harvard.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 9:00 PM

Quote:
The "ivy League" is a sports league, not a grouping of the "best schools". There's Harvard, Yale and Princeton and then there's the rest and there are better non-Ivy schools than some of those. They are all good, but not in the top 10 just because they play football against Harvard.
Harvard, Yale, Princeton is a waspy club, not the top 3 schools.

Princeton is a good liberal arts school in comparison to schools like Columbia and Penn.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Harvard, Yale, Princeton is a waspy club, not the top 3 schools.

Princeton is a good liberal arts school in comparison to schools like Columbia and Penn.
Columbia . . . OK. It's arguable whether Penn is "top ten". Same with Dartmouth. I think Princeton definitely is. Cornell, Brown . . . no; there's plenty of schools as good or better.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Columbia . . . OK. It's arguable whether Penn is "top ten". Same with Dartmouth. I think Princeton definitely is. Cornell, Brown . . . no; there's plenty of schools as good or better.
Yes, I agree.

Though I think that Princeton is a top undergraduate school only.

It is far from one of the top national universities since its graduate programs are limited and it offers no professional schools... no medical, no law, no business schools.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 11:25 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Yes, I agree.

Though I think that Princeton is a top undergraduate school only.

It is far from one of the top national universities since its graduate programs are limited and it offers no professional schools... no medical, no law, no business schools.
Going by the super-rigorous "did they admit SIGSEGV for undergrad" test Princeton is the most selective of the three (I got rejected from Princeton, got admitted to Harvard, and waitlisted at Yale).

But Princeton has top graduate programs as well (remember, the Institute for Advanced Study is at Princeton), although obviously not as comprehensive as some other schools.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 11:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
By far, the two most prestigious universities in Chicago (hell, in the entire midwest) are:

- The University of Chicago (#6) - Hyde Park
- Northwestern University (#9) - Evanston

There are also four more national universities located within the city that are not nearly as highly regarded as the first two, but are still considered good schools:

- Loyola University Chicago (#104) - Rogers Park
- Illinois Institute of Technology (#117) - Douglas
- Depaul University (#125) - Lincoln Park
- University of Illinois - Chicago (#132) - Little Italy

Additionally, there are three other universities of note on the FAR peripheries of Chicago's sphere of influence:

- Notre Dame (#15) - South Bend, IN
- The University of Illinois (#48) - Champaign/Urbana, IL
- Purdue University (#57) - Lafayette, IN

the numbers in parentheses are national rankings according to USN&WR.
I would add the University of Wisconsin Madison. For many in Chicagoland its closer than Champaign/Urbana.

Also a lot go to the University of Iowa and U of Michigan.

All good schools esp Michigan, I just don't know their rankings.

BTW I went to Drake university in Des Moines Iowa. 1/3 of the students were from Chicagoland, 1/3 from Iowa and about a third from the rest of the USA

It kind of pissed off a few Iowa guys. " how come so many people from Chicagoand come to Drake?" "Don't you have your own schools?"

The answer was well of course but they are really hard to get into the good ones even [Champaign/Urbana is hard to get in] , and UI Iowa City, UW Madison, Purdue would probably say the same thing.

Why do so many people from Chicagoland attend their collage?

Last edited by bnk; Jul 14, 2020 at 12:02 AM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 11:56 PM

I think most of academia agrees that you get the most rigorous undergrad education at (in no particular order) Harvard, Yale, Chicago, Princetown, Stanford, Columbia, and a few liberal arts like Williams and Amherst.

Then when you start to talk about the university as a research/global institution, the top-tier club expands to include Hopkins/Caltech/MIT/Berkeley/etc.

But yeah—any ranking always rests on criteria that deserves scrutiny and debate

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Going by the super-rigorous "did they admit SIGSEGV for undergrad" test Princeton is the most selective of the three (I got rejected from Princeton, got admitted to Harvard, and waitlisted at Yale).

But Princeton has top graduate programs as well (remember, the Institute for Advanced Study is at Princeton), although obviously not as comprehensive as some other schools.
For undergrad, I don't doubt that it's the most selective (particularly for the standard white, male applicant). That's a pretty good list of undergrad admissions credentials, btw

Yeah, I wasn't trying to suggest that there aren't Princeton grad offerings... they just don't offer too much, though they are obviously top notch (and they still contribute a great deal of top-level research). Not having a medical, law, or business school is just pretty much a deal breaker for me when it comes to being considered at the very top of the heap.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 12:24 AM

Quote:
For undergrad, I don't doubt that it's the most selective (particularly for the standard white, male applicant). That's a pretty good list of undergrad admissions credentials, btw

Yeah, I wasn't trying to suggest that there aren't Princeton grad offerings... they just don't offer too much, though they are obviously top notch (and they still contribute a great deal of top-level research). Not having a medical, law, or business school is just pretty much a deal breaker for me when it comes to being considered at the very top of the heap.
They were good enough at the graduate level to attract a faculty member named Albert Einstein.

Here's a somewhat objective way to rank schools: Nobel lauriates that are or have been on the faculty, and Princeton does pretty well. Undergrad teaching usually doesn't attract Nobel candidates so much as research and teaching grad students.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ty_affiliation

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 12:34 AM

Quote:
They were good enough at the graduate level to attract a faculty member named Albert Einstein.
Like I said above, "I wasn't trying to suggest that there aren't Princeton grad offerings... they just don't offer too much, though they are obviously top notch (and they still contribute a great deal of top-level research)"

And I don't think Einstein's research there nearly a century ago has much to do with the point I was making about Princeton's relative lack of graduate offerings in comparison to those of other top universities. Princeton obviously does what it does do very well... it just doesn't do that much in comparison.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 1:12 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

When I was first college shopping, Princeton proudly touted its focus on undergraduate education as a feature and not a bug. It was for that reason that Princeton dominated the (undergrad) lists for many years. I'm not affiliated with them, just saying it was once a reason freshmen would choose it over other elite universities.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
When I was first college shopping, Princeton proudly touted its focus on undergraduate education as a feature and not a bug. It was for that reason that Princeton dominated the (undergrad) lists for many years. I'm not affiliated with them, just saying it was once a reason freshmen would choose it over other elite universities.
It’s not a negative aspect at all. That’s what they do. And they do it very well obviously. It’s just that in that way they tend to mirror the very selective liberal arts colleges more than they do the rest of the top names who are much more comprehensive institutions at the undergrad, grad, professional, research levels.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Here's a somewhat objective way to rank schools: Nobel lauriates that are or have been on the faculty, and Princeton does pretty well. Undergrad teaching usually doesn't attract Nobel candidates so much as research and teaching grad students.
I like how they need a [note 3] to University of Paris in their ranking.

Colleges don't work like in the Anglosphere over here. They are more similar to the most prestigious of Japan.
Ultra competitive, selective and elitist. If you're not a beast of a student as of the age of 15, you don't have any access to the most prestigious establishments.
You have to go through preparatory classes after high-school, which themselves are very selective, then go through even more selective contests at math, physics, biology and all.
It is really tough. Way tougher and more elitist than in the US for sure.

I think our quota of brilliant graduates is too low for that reason, hence this mediocre and inaccurate ranking. The French education system is too harsh to preteens and teens that may be immature when they are very young, but may grow much better as young adults.
A second or third chance should be given to them.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
I like how they need a [note 3] to University of Paris in their ranking.

Colleges don't work like in the Anglosphere over here. They are more similar to the most prestigious of Japan.
Ultra competitive, selective and elitist. If you're not a beast of a student as of the age of 15, you don't have any access to the most prestigious establishments.
You have to go through preparatory classes after high-school, which themselves are very selective, then go through even more selective contests at math, physics, biology and all.
It is really tough. Way tougher and more elitist than in the US for sure.

I think our quota of brilliant graduates is too low for that reason, hence this mediocre and inaccurate ranking. The French education system is too harsh to preteens and teens that may be immature when they are very young, but may grow much better as young adults.
A second or third chance should be given to them.
I'll take your word for everything you say but none of it makes the list inaccurate. They total all the U. of Paris successor parts into one whole so it's not being short-changed.

Frankly, no list is perfect and I'm not saying this one is, but the ranking normally referred to here is by US News and World Report (formerly a weekly magazine) and most of it is subjective (opinions of faculty etc). Nobel lauriate totals at least have the advantage of being entirely objective and while not exactly correlated with present-day excellence, probably has a pretty high correlation in relative terms.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions