HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 1:04 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Nashvillle might also be a good comparison, at least in terms of planned highrises -- given the oil bust and projects planned/under construction, i see it rivaling calgary soon

Quote:
Nashville

338 low-rise building
175 high-rise building
26 skyscraper
https://flic.kr/p/G2z1R6

https://flic.kr/p/ZXALKQ

MCCWithHotels071819_128 by MCC Marketing, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
here is Charlotte, showing many midrise developments surrounding the core as well as many still-undeveloped parking lots
That's an out of date picture. I think almost all of those lots that ring the Duke Energy building have towers on them now.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 3:56 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Wow. Downtown Nashville is looking great.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 4:24 AM

To build so many buildings that tall that close together and get rid of the parking lots, you need heavy investment in transit. Transit is the key, and these US cities just don't have it, especially not Nashville.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 11:08 AM

The entire metro of Calgary is around 1.5m, and I just don't see any U.S equivalent of skyline in proportion to metro ..Austin, Nashville, and Charlotte all seem right for their given sizes..As someone already mentioned.Des Moines maybe? It seems to have some bulk to it's skyline given it's size. And I agree..Denver and Calgary seem to be like sister cities. Actually 3 Canadian cities seem to over perform In skyline relative to metro..Vancouver really stands out, followed by Calgary, and Edmonton. Street level of course is a different story.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 11:57 AM

I've never realized Austin's skyline had became that big. I was aware the city is growing like crazy since ever but I assumed it was virtually all sprawl.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 12:40 PM

~ 1.5M population

Incredible skyline which rivals Toronto’s

I think we all know what the answer here is...

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 2:25 PM

Nashville, charlotte, and Austin are some of the fastest growing cities in the US, which I think lends to their comparisons to Calgary and western Canada in general. Western Canada as a whole is insanely new. A building feels ancient out there if it’s more than 50 years old.. coming from Toronto where a ton of houses are 150+, and about half the apartment stock is 50+, it’s just something completely different. Same thing with those fast growing US metros, they are all “new”.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 2:37 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

I do have to wonder if these white collar, office-heavy mid-sized cities are going to hurt worse from Covid and work-from-home.

Most US downtowns and probably a lot of Canadian ones stopped being the pre-eminent employment center of their regions a long time ago and have had like 40 years to adapt. Dallas for example hasn't built any "landmark" office skyscrapers downtown since the 1980s, and some of the oldest office buildings have since been converted to residential or hotel use. The new office developments have been mid-rises in uptown, and those are intermingled with a lot of residential or hotel or other.

However a city like Calgary seems like its so heavily dependent on office workers in the oil industry, and that can't have a good forecast. A lot of that could crash at once, and bring down with it all the service related businesses in downtown. Calgary is legendary for light rail ridership, but isn't that mostly a result of downtown parking costs and a concentration of employment? That could be another casuality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Nashville, charlotte, and Austin are some of the fastest growing cities in the US, which I think lends to their comparisons to Calgary and western Canada in general. Western Canada as a whole is insanely new. A building feels ancient out there if it’s more than 50 years old.. coming from Toronto where a ton of houses are 150+, and about half the apartment stock is 50+, it’s just something completely different. Same thing with those fast growing US metros, they are all “new”.
I think what makes downtown Nashville and Austin unique for "new" cities is that a lot of the most notable tall buildings are hotels or condos/apartments and there is a high level of activity at street level being fueled by people who come in from the suburbs or out of town. The whole live music thing got a snowball effect going.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
~ 1.5M population

Incredible skyline which rivals Toronto’s

I think we all know what the answer here is...
Calgary's skyline does not rival Toronto's but it does still have an amazing skyline.
I also don't see how Nashville, Austin or Charlotte are close to Calgary's Skyline or will be anytime soon

Calgary

https://fortunavista.com/photo/6th-avenuehenge

https://edmontongazette.com/safest-c...-2018/calgary/

https://www.stockaerialphotos.com/me...algary-alberta

Last edited by Nite; Jul 12, 2020 at 8:24 PM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 6:49 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Calgary has also a rater high office vacancy rate, over 25% in its downtown.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 7:34 PM
Never Dell

Any chance at knitting together that chasm around the railroad? It looks like fewer than half of the streets cross it (10 out of 21) and much of it's basically unused.

Other than that, it looks like the downtown of a much larger city, including a good residential element.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
I've never realized Austin's skyline had became that big. I was aware the city is growing like crazy since ever but I assumed it was virtually all sprawl.
They say Texan demographic has been increasing and substantially changing, both due to inner migration to the so called Sun Belt and continuous immigration from Mexico and smaller countries from Central America.

They also claim San Antonio, Austin and El Paso are more likely to benefit and grow from this trend than Houston or Dallas-Fort Worth whose economy would be overly dependent on oil.
That's what they say. I couldn't tell how accurate it is, but Austin is surely mentioned as a fast-growing place.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 7:40 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

the US cities tend to be more diffuse around their downtown, whereas in typical canadian style, Calgary is more concentrated

does anywhere in Calgary look like this (nashville, area around Vanderbilt, not dowtown)?

Flying over Vanderbilt University by Liang Xiao, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 7:43 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Here's all of downtown Nashville. note that urbanism outside of the core, does not transition immediately to suburban development.

Good Morning Nashville by Richard Melton, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 8:49 PM
Never Dell

Google Maps shows much less impressive version of Nashville than those images. I do give it credit for a major university in the urban core though.

Calgary's extended downtown is much, much larger.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
the US cities tend to be more diffuse around their downtown, whereas in typical canadian style, Calgary is more concentrated

does anywhere in Calgary look like this (nashville, area around Vanderbilt, not dowtown)?
I don't think the land area of the parts of Calgary dominated by buildings denser than SFHs is any smaller than in Nashville. Areas that are practically an extension of downtown Calgary like Cliff Bungalow/Mission, Sunalta and Beltline basically extend as far from the central intersection of Calgary's CBD as the Vanderbilt campus. And then you have lowrise to midrise apartment clusters and walkable retail streets extending out from downtown Calgary in various directions (Bankview, Sunnyside, Hillhurst, Crescent Heights, Bridgeland-Riverside). As individual clusters they might be smaller than Vanderbilt but added together they're more significant imo.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 11:54 PM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Wow.

Yeah, no way Austin, Charlotte, Denver, Nashville or any of the other cities mentioned in this thread rival the overall look of Calgary's skyline. None appear to come close.
Downtown Calgary is just much denser, larger, and taller. It also includes significant residential populations in the Beltline, Mission, East Village (and to a lesser extent, Bridgeland and Chinatown) [these downtown neighbourhoods have a population of ~50,000).

It does however suffer from segregation of uses (CBD is dominated by commercial towers, surrounded [more or less] by residential highrises). It also lacks the vibrant tourist areas that I imagine New Orleans and Nashville have (haven't visited them yet).
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Last edited by Pavlov; Jul 13, 2020 at 12:22 AM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 12:49 AM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Downtown Austin is arguably more vibrant than both downtown Nashville or downtown New Orleans as of 2020. And yes, I've visited all three.
Good to know. I'd like to visit all three.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 12:55 AM

Where are the most vibrant neighbourhoods in Calgary? It looks dense but rather bland from the street level, those 5 lane one way traffic sewers downtown don't seem to help.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions