HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 9:04 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
St. Louis is having a rather ghastly year so far:

https://www.kob.com/national-news/3-...10648/?cat=600
Per capita, St. Louis is several times worse than Chicago (you probably know this). But of course it's not a reasonable comparison because of how the city limits are apportioned within the region.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 9:50 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

Quote:

i guarantee 99% of it is fentanyl related—and they're taking advantage of the current chaos.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 9:55 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Per capita, St. Louis is several times worse than Chicago (you probably know this). But of course it's not a reasonable comparison because of how the city limits are apportioned within the region.
then why pop in to make the comparison at all? what an odd post.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 11:01 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Refund the police

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:

This is only St Louis city limits which has ~318,000 people and 153 homicides...in July.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 11:03 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWant2BeInSTL View Post
then why pop in to make the comparison at all? what an odd post.
You're right, it is an odd post I guess to distract from the Chicago sniping in this thread.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 12:18 AM
IWant2BeInSTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
This is only St Louis city limits which has ~318,000 people and 153 homicides...in July.
the rate doesn't scale to the metro level, though. it doesn't even scale to the city + county level. the city is 10% of the metro population and less than 1/3 of the city + county population. which is why comparisons are pointless. the problem is that the majority of our regional poverty and AA population are concentrated in the 62 square miles of the city, which fuels drug-related crime.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 12:21 AM
IWant2BeInSTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Refund the police
they haven't done shit for years, and they haven't even been defunded yet.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 3:02 AM

Portland's murder rate is off the charts compared to recent years:

https://katu.com/news/local/police-s...in-ne-portland

Quote:
This is the 15th homicide since July 1st, which is the most in one month in over 30 years, according to Portland Police.
This compares to 14 murders in all of 2013. It looks like the worst year in Portland's modern history for murders was 1987, when there were 66 murder cases. Portland year-to-date has around 30, I believe.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 3:34 PM

Chicago PD have taken over 5,300 illegal guns off the street this year, if this doesn't prevent crime I don't know what does.

Anyways, we can all blame the riots on May 30th for what is happening now. BLM has inadvertently set the course that has killed hundreds of more black people in the last two months than would otherwise be the case(based on 2019 numbers). This increase in murders is more than all the unarmed black men killed by the cops in the last decade.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 4:20 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Chicago PD have taken over 5,300 illegal guns off the street this year, if this doesn't prevent crime I don't know what does.

Anyways, we can all blame the riots on May 30th for what is happening now. BLM has inadvertently set the course that has killed hundreds of more black people in the last two months than would otherwise be the case(based on 2019 numbers). This increase in murders is more than all the unarmed black men killed by the cops in the last decade.
Unfounded speculation. Homicide rates were increasing prior to May 30: https://www.insider.com/murder-rates...america-2020-5

I bet COVID-19 threw a wrench into gang drug distribution networks.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilcapo View Post
Only counting clear cases or "very likely" cases as usual
Its a bit tricky because the numbers are not officially presented until a couple months after the new year...
So more will likely be added on after time as some are still unsure yet.

As of 23rd of May 2020:
Total Sweden: 56 (19 Shootings)

Greater Stockholm: 15 (7 Shootings) (Pop 2,3 mil)
Stockholm Municipality: 7 (3 Shootings)(Pop 974 000)

Greater Gothenburg: 7 (2 Shootings) (Pop 1 mil)
Gothenburg Municipality: 6 (2 shootings) (Pop 578.000)

Scania Province: 8 (4 Shootings) (Pop 1.3 mil)
Malmö Municipality: 2 (2 shootings) (Pop 344.000)
2/8

Stockholm Metro (which is the best way to count honestly, and not limit it to questionable city borders) is now at 27 clear and another 10 or so pending.

The latest victim is a very tragic story. A 12 year old girl was hit by a stray bullet and died, after a drive-by shooting in the suburb municipality of Botkyrka.

Stockholm Metro total: 27 (11 from shootings)

Sweden total: 80 (24 from Shootings)

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 6:49 PM

Quote:
i guarantee 99% of it is fentanyl related—and they're taking advantage of the current chaos.
I'm not trying to be snarky (this is a damn serious issue) but who has the money for drugs right now, considering?

I'm going to be "that guy" and say at least as far as here in NYC is concerned, I just think people simply don't fear the criminal justice system anymore. Petite *and* grand larceny are down from last year and robbery has actually held steady, so there goes the economic argument....

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Portland's murder rate is off the charts compared to recent years:

https://katu.com/news/local/police-s...in-ne-portland

This compares to 14 murders in all of 2013. It looks like the worst year in Portland's modern history for murders was 1987, when there were 66 murder cases. Portland year-to-date has around 30, I believe.
Am I reading this right? Portland had FIFTEEN murders in the last month?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 11:51 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubert View Post
I'm not trying to be snarky (this is a damn serious issue) but who has the money for drugs right now, considering?
when have inner-city drug addicts ever had money? an addict doesn't look at his/her ledger and say "welp, nothing for drugs this month. guess i'll drink tea instead." they steal shit for drug money. larceny isn't the primary concern in St. Louis, though. it's guns. and that's fueled by an absence of gun laws, turf wars, and just the general insanity that accompanies poverty and gang culture. St. Louis also happens to be at a trafficking crossroads.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 2:28 AM

Quote:
when have inner-city drug addicts ever had money? an addict doesn't look at his/her ledger and say "welp, nothing for drugs this month. guess i'll drink tea instead." they steal shit for drug money. larceny isn't the primary concern in St. Louis, though. it's guns. and that's fueled by an absence of gun laws, turf wars, and just the general insanity that accompanies poverty and gang culture. St. Louis also happens to be at a trafficking crossroads.
Those are all baked in systemic issues that have been around for decades thou, they by themselves cannot explain the astronomical rise in violence occuring in the US right now.

I didn't mean to come across as knowing about St Louis specifically, I was simply genuflecting off of your post in general and applying it to what I'm seeing here in NYC. We have all of the above except the lax gun laws part and yet look at the shocking turnaround from last year.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh View Post
Am I reading this right? Portland had FIFTEEN murders in the last month?
Yes. So did Boston, it appears:

https://www.universalhub.com/crime/murder/2020

15 murders in July of 2020.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 5:58 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubert View Post
Those are all baked in systemic issues that have been around for decades thou, they by themselves cannot explain the astronomical rise in violence occuring in the US right now.

I didn't mean to come across as knowing about St Louis specifically, I was simply genuflecting off of your post in general and applying it to what I'm seeing here in NYC. We have all of the above except the lax gun laws part and yet look at the shocking turnaround from last year.
I didn't take offense or anything. I'm just not sure why you would expect each of the factors mentioned to remain constant such that some new factor is needed to explain the rise in crime, nor why you would expect each factor to scale the same for every place in the country. The same set of baked-in systematic issues can lead to varying levels of crime depending on the overall national psyche at a given moment, I think, and the factors are coupled such that, for example, an increase in poverty can lead to an increase in drug use, which leads to an increase gun use, etc.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 6:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
2/8

Stockholm Metro (which is the best way to count honestly, and not limit it to questionable city borders) is now at 27 clear and another 10 or so pending.

The latest victim is a very tragic story. A 12 year old girl was hit by a stray bullet and died, after a drive-by shooting in the suburb municipality of Botkyrka.

Stockholm Metro total: 27 (11 from shootings)

Sweden total: 80 (24 from Shootings)
There is nothing good about murders but I always appreciate your posts as it's interesting to see what is going on in other places.

80 murders so far seems a lot higher than what I would expect for a country like Sweden.

In terms of comparables, Ontario has 14.5 million people and is at 114 murders for 2020.

Quebec has 8.5 million people and is at 32 murders for the year.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 6:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
2/8

)
What do you mean by pending? I know that sometimes police investigate suspicious deaths that could be accidents or suicides, but if that's the case 10 seems to be a pretty high number to have outstanding like that. Especially if the actual number of confirmed homicides is 27.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions