HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

3 Eau Claire in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Calgary Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 11, 2010, 7:12 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

Smile NEW YORK | Park51 | 13 FLOORS

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park51

Park51, originally named Cordoba House (sometimes referred to as the "Ground Zero mosque"), is a planned 13-story, glass and steel Islamic community center with a prayer room, to be located about two blocks from the World Trade Center site, in Lower Manhattan. The facility's design includes a 500-seat auditorium, theater, performing arts center, fitness center, swimming pool, basketball court, childcare area, bookstore, culinary school, art studio, food court, September 11 memorial, and prayer space that could accommodate 1,000–2,000 people. The center would replace an existing 1850s Italianate-style building that was damaged in the September 11 attacks.

In July 2009, the real estate company and developer Soho Properties purchased the building and property at 45–47 Park Place for $4.85 million in cash.

Soho Properties' Chairman and CEO, Sharif El-Gamal, initially planned to build a condominium complex at the site, but was convinced by Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf's idea for a community center with a prayer space. El-Gamal's partner is Nour Mousa, the nephew of Amr Moussa, the Secretary General of the Arab League.

One investor in the transaction was the Cordoba Initiative, a tax-exempt foundation with assets of $20,000. In the foundation's first five years, from 2004–08, it raised less than $100,000. Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf is founder, CEO, and Executive Director of Cordoba Initiative, and the project is his brainchild. His wife, Daisy Khan, is a board member.

The project's other investor was the American Society for Muslim Advancement (ASMA), another non-profit foundation. Rauf is also the founder and CEO of ASMA, and his wife is its Executive Director. They run it out of the same New York office as the Cordoba Initiative.

The two foundations proposed to use the property as the site for a $100 million community center modeled after NYC's Jewish Community Centers and YMCAs. They are working on the project with El-Gamal, their co-developer

From the official Park51 website:

http://blog.park51.org/

Park51 celebrates arts, culture and ideas, bringing the best of the world to New York City, and New York City’s energy and diversity to the world. Park51 will become a model for future institutions, with its inclusive focus, sustainable design and dedication to social needs

Park51 strives to:

•Encourage dialogue, harmony and respect amongst all people, regardless of race, faith, gender or cultural background.

•Establish a state-of-the-art eco-friendly facility that will serve as a model and inspiration for sustainable space in an urban context.

•Cultivate neighborly relations amongst New Yorkers, fostering civic participation

•Revive the historic Muslim tradition of education, engagement and service.
•Promote Muslim-Americans identities, engaging New York’s many and diverse Muslim communities.

•Build partnerships and relationships with institutions who share our values

•Provide a wide array of social services for children, women & families, seniors immigrants, small business owners and high-need adult populations

Current Site:

Site of the proposed Ground Zero Mosque located at 45-51 Park Place. It is also the former location of the Burlington Coat Factory.

Mosque Rendering:

Last edited by NYguy; Sep 11, 2010 at 9:06 AM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2010, 9:04 AM
New Yorker for life

Let me just say right now, all controversy surrounding the development of this project is to be taken elsewhere.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2010, 9:29 AM

i do like the design....thats all im gonna say....

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Sep 11, 2010, 11:23 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Interesting design - lots of transparency. I really like the Mashrabiya.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2010, 7:06 PM

I'm really not sure I like the design. Based on the rendering, it seems like there's a large empty space between a curtain of glass and the building itself, which seems very oddly curved. I can't picture the building properly based on the rendering. I'll be glad when they get a newer one.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2010, 7:17 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

It's a weird looking rendering, perhaps though just a place holder for the moment.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2010, 9:24 PM
Ω

I wish we could get more renderings. The facade looks very complex/multilayered.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 4:33 AM
New Yorker for life

http://therealdeal.com/newyork/artic...-james-gardner

Architecturally, Islamic Center stands out

August 05, 2010
By James Gardner

Quote:
On Tuesday there was high drama over at the Landmarks Preservation Commission. This group, which is used to basking in the near-total indifference of the citizenry, must have been surprised and delighted to find their obscure mumblings broadcast live on NY1, as though this were a presidential impeachment or a health care vote on the floor of the U.S. Senate. When it was all over, they had voted unanimously not to grant landmark status to an ugly old building at 45-47 Park Place, which was in effect a vote in favor of the proposed Islamic Center.

In truth, Landmarks was presented with a thankless task: they would be damned either way. On strictly aesthetic principles, however, I think they were right. The cast-iron building in question had no special quality to it other than that it was 150 years old. Of course you could certainly argue that, in the past, the commission has sanctioned the destruction of far worthier buildings, while insisting upon the preservation of structures far less interesting even than 45-47 Park Place. Just think of the debacle at the Whitney Museum a few years back.

But let's set aside the political debate for a moment, and consider the architecture of the proposed Islamic center.

As far as the latest renderings are concerned -- and the finished project may look quite a bit different, of course -- I must say that the general conception appears to be promising. The building presents itself as a severely flattened and uninflected façade, relieved from tedium only by the vigorous patterns that cover the screen-like surface. The effect is a little bit reminiscent of Jean Nouvel's Institut du Monde Arabe, the masterpiece that put the French architect on the map.

Jean Nouvel's Institut du Monde ArabeThe Islamic Center's bold and unified flatness, rising from the street all the way to the summit, adheres to a very different logic from that of most other buildings in the five boroughs, which even when modernist, are divided into a tripartite base, shaft and summit. But the proposed mosque near Ground Zero reminds us that there was once a time, 500 or 1,000 years ago in a far-flung Muslim empire, when some of the finest architecture ever made was being fashioned from brick.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 4:50 AM
Ex Houstonian

I personally think its terribly ugly and I wish they could just reuse the freakin 150 year old building instead of tearing it down.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 8:46 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
I personally think its terribly ugly and I wish they could just reuse the freakin 150 year old building instead of tearing it down.
The NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission voted against making the building a landmark.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 10:16 PM
BROOKLYN

I'm really satisfied with this building's design an hope it gets built.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2010, 12:47 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 11:11 AM
New Yorker for life

Again, this thread is reserved for the proposed building, and none of the controversy surrounding it, which should go somewhere else.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 11:34 AM

I've always admired the way Islamic design attempts to portray the power and scope of the divine using abstract designs (as opposed to, for the most part, anthropomorphic ones). If done right, the interlocking geometric patterns will look gorgeous rendered in that glass, and I'm looking forward to (inshallah, I suppose) seeing it one day.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 9:34 PM
New Yorker for life

Images from http://blog.park51.org/?p=143

Reminds me of of the Greenwich South proposal...
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=181550

-

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 9:45 PM

Still not too crazy about the exterior, but good god the inside is gorgeous looks like the Tower Verre on the inside.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 10:01 PM
BROOKLYN

I'm in love...

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 10:10 PM

I find the facade ironic because of the "stars of david" pattern on the front. Maybe people will think its a synagogue?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 10:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
Maybe people will think its a synagogue?
Only the stupid ones. But really, they have other issues in life.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 12:53 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/30/ny...l?ref=nyregion

Muslim Center’s Developer to Use Islamic Loan Plan

By ANNE BARNARD
September 29, 2010

Quote:
The developer of the planned Muslim community center and mosque near ground zero hopes to finance the bulk of the $140 million project using instruments developed to allow many Muslim investors to comply with religious prohibitions on interest.

The developer, Sharif el-Gamal, said on Wednesday that he envisioned raising $27 million through a nationwide campaign focused on small donations from Muslims and other supporters, and financing much of the rest that consultants estimate it will cost to build the 15-story center.

Mr. Gamal is counting on the center’s eventually having about 4,330 paying members, about half of them paying $2,700 a year for the most expensive family plan, which would include use of a planned fitness center and pool.

Most of that core group, Mr. Gamal expects, would be non-Muslim neighborhood residents and commuters. Muslims from around the region would make up a larger but less frequently visiting group — what he calls the “dinner and a date” crowd — many of them choosing the cheapest $375 family membership for cultural programs.

...Most of the financing, Mr. Gamal said on Wednesday, would come through religiously sanctioned bondlike investments known as sukuk, devised in Muslim nations to allow religious Muslims to take part in the global economy and increasingly explored by American banks. Sukuk and other Islamic banking instruments are tracked on the Dow Jones Islamic Market Index.

In sukuk construction projects, the investors own the real estate asset, and the developers lease it back; the investors’ profit on the rent is analogous to the yield on a bond. Some Islamic scholars do not accept the system, but it is widely used in places like Malaysia and Dubai.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive