HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 6:21 PM

When there's 2 million people on the Parkway in 5 weeks for the Pope and all those people and national and international cameras embrace Philly ... it will help eliminate what I think is a silly premise to begin with - that being this thread.
There's 14 cranes in the air most likely by then.
The 2020 census is going to be a massive triumph for Philly.

I'll take Philly's history and vibe, and neighborhood's etc. over just about any american city. National media has some weird thing up its ass about Philly -- whether it be our sports fans (so tired), or crime, or whatever. Most of it is lazy journalism.

Or maybe when the Dems are here for the Convention next summer and all those pretty skyline views ...which is ever, ever expanding.

If you don't get Philly- that's on you.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
When there's 2 million people on the Parkway in 5 weeks for the Pope and all those people and national and international cameras embrace Philly ... it will help eliminate what I think is a silly premise to begin with - that being this thread.
Why would a papal visit make any difference?

The pope visits hundreds of cities around the world (including many in the U.S.), and big cities like Philly are used to holding large gatherings. The pope is in a different city every day when traveling.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Why would a papal visit make any difference?

The pope visits hundreds of cities around the world (including many in the U.S.), and big cities like Philly are used to holding large gatherings. The pope is in a different city every day when traveling.
Because the Philly visit is expecting 2 million people for that World Families Meeting etc. It's going to be bedlam. (I'm not religious). But anytime you get 2 mil people together in a relatively small space (and a TON of out of towners), it's going to create a ton of media attention.

I suspect the cable news networks will be broadcasting live the whole damn weekend.

Economists have reported the weekend will generate north of $4 bil for the local economy, which surpasses, for instance, what a Super Bowl week would bring in. It's good for the City.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The pope visits hundreds of cities around the world (including many in the U.S.), and big cities like Philly are used to holding large gatherings.
Sort of. I'm not going to predict the impact for Philadelphia but this is only the 10th visit of a Pope to the US in history, the first since 2008. On this particular visit, the Pope is also visiting DC (Congress) and NY (United Nations) but Philadelphia will host the only large scale outdoor mass and also include a speech on immigration at Independence Hall.

I would expect this 3-day visit to Philadelphia to generate quite a bit of national news coverage, including some fantastic aerials of the Parkway full of pilgrims but will it change the hearts and minds of the country concerning Philadelphia? Meh, it won't hurt.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
There's 14 cranes in the air most likely by then.
The 2020 census is going to be a massive triumph for Philly.

I'll take Philly's history and vibe, and neighborhood's etc. over just about any american city. National media has some weird thing up its ass about Philly -- whether it be our sports fans (so tired), or crime, or whatever. Most of it is lazy journalism.

Or maybe when the Dems are here for the Convention next summer and all those pretty skyline views ...which is ever, ever expanding.

If you don't get Philly- that's on you.
Slight correction but likely 17 cranes in the air by the Pope visit at the end of September

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB0679 View Post
I'm actually in Philly fairly often; was there all weekend matter of fact.

From a social perspective, Atlanta gets a ton of transplants so social networks there are more fluid and dynamic, particularly among young(ish) Black professionals (and no, that's not just hip hop). You don't really get that same sort of vibe in Philly which is more of a blue-collar, post-industrial city.

At any rate, other folks here could somewhat understand what I was getting at so it's not just me.
This is the crap I don't understand. Blue-collar? Post-industrial? Yes, maybe more so than a NYC, Boston or San Francisco, but Philly is no more blue-collar than Chicago or LA yet constantly gets called it. Where are you hanging out exactly where you see all of these post industrial relics? The Delaware Waterfront? Port Richmond?

There is nothing Blue Collar or Post Industrial about the core of the city and plenty of other areas around the core. This is an old stereotype that needs to die hard.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 1:55 AM

Awesome, beautiful aerial video of modern day Philadelphia for those who care to look:

https://vimeo.com/137203743

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
This is the crap I don't understand. Blue-collar? Post-industrial? Yes, maybe more so than a NYC, Boston or San Francisco, but Philly is no more blue-collar than Chicago or LA yet constantly gets called it. Where are you hanging out exactly where you see all of these post industrial relics? The Delaware Waterfront? Port Richmond?

There is nothing Blue Collar or Post Industrial about the core of the city and plenty of other areas around the core. This is an old stereotype that needs to die hard.
Calm down, the term is relative to its peers in the Bos-Wash corridor and other similarly-sized metros across the country. But I do see remnants of the old economy in various parts of the city (and of course, just across the river), which I think is to be expected in a place once called the "Workshop of the World."

Last edited by KB0679; Aug 26, 2015 at 12:24 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 1:11 AM
Crisp and Squishy

Quote:
Why isn't Philly seen more as a "cool" destination?
It's gotta be due to all of those tracksuits and gold chains!

*zing!*

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 3:55 AM
Never Dell

Its image is blue collar. That doesn't have to be related to manufacturing output.

LA's image is glamour, regardless of it really being a manufacturing and shipping center, etc.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 3:21 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Its image is blue collar. That doesn't have to be related to manufacturing output.

LA's image is glamour, regardless of it really being a manufacturing and shipping center, etc.
i've always thought blue collar, sure, but seeing as how the older midwest pwns that, thats never defined philly for me. so i've also always thought of old money, the main line, eccentrics, diverse rowhouse nabes, etc.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 3:29 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

philadelphia is always cool, just 99 miles less cool.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 4:20 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
philadelphia is always cool, just 99 miles less cool.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 5:44 PM

Quote:

Have to disagree. In my experience, it's far more likely to run into a construction worker at a typical Philly bar than in NYC, Chicago, etc. The volume of white collar jobs just doesn't run as wide or as deep in Philadelphia as some other places. It's a different scene.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 5:46 PM

Just got back from Chicago. The creatures you see on the El in Philly and around the Girard stop in particular do not exist in Chicago. No heroin nods or obvious addicts. It feels like Wayne.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkfood View Post
Have to disagree. In my experience, it's far more likely to run into a construction worker at a typical Philly bar than in NYC, Chicago, etc. The volume of white collar jobs just doesn't run as wide or as deep in Philadelphia as some other places. It's a different scene.
Actual statistics contradict your statements.

"Forty-two markets are between the 40 and 50 percent levels on the MBSA list, including such major markets as Boston, San Francisco-Oakland, Baltimore, Seattle, Minneapolis-St. Paul and Philadelphia."

http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjourna...17101720456379

Quote:
Just got back from Chicago. The creatures you see on the El in Philly and around the Girard stop in particular do not exist in Chicago. No heroin nods or obvious addicts. It feels like Wayne.
Do not exist in Chicago? So you're comparing North Philadelphia to Downtown Chicago? What about North Philadelphia compared with South Side Chicago?

Lol. Talk about a poor comparison.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 6:12 PM

As I stated, Philadelphia is no more blue collar than Chicago or LA, in fact, it is more White Collar than those two cities. It is also not too far off from Boston or San Francisco, yet Philadelphia constantly gets called Blue collar. It's an old stereotype that needs to die.

"White Collar" job percentages per metro

San Jose - 48.49%
Boston - 45.45%
San Francisco - 45.06%
Philadelphia - 40.29%
New York City - 39.45%
Atlanta - 38.52%
Chicago - 36.92%
Los Angeles - 35.75%

Last edited by summersm343; Sep 3, 2015 at 12:50 AM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 7:26 PM
Never Dell

Perceptions are probably based upon urban cores more than metros. Center City Philadelphia's office inventory isn't terribly large for a city of six million.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Then you never rode the Red Line late at night in Chicago.

I've never seen a transit line with as many obvious heroin nod/addict types. I think they favor that line because it runs underground in parts (so warmer in winter) and runs 24 hours (so you won't be rousted from your seat).

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 2:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
As I stated, Philadelphia is no more blue collar than Chicago or LA, in fact, it is more White Collar than those two cities. It is also not too far off from Boston or San Francisco, yet Philadelphia constantly gets called Blue collar. It's an old stereotype that needs to die.

"White Collar" job percentages per metro

San Jose - 48.49%
Boston - 45.45%
San Francisco - 45.06%
Philadelphia - 40.29%
New York City - 39.45%
Atlanta - 38.52%
Chicago - 36.92%
Los Angeles - 35.75%

I've never thought Philadelphia was ever more blue collar. The movie Rocky kind of has a big influence on how people may view the city, sadly. That movie could've been filmed in NYC or Boston in the 70s and it would've looked the fucking same, which is something people don't understand.

Anyway, i've always thought Philadelphia was white collar and very old money and thats by actually GOING THERE and seeing not just the city but the suburbs, so the whole metro area.

Its just as old money and whatnot as NYC and Boston. People just need to actually experience it for themselves and not rely on media interpretations.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions