HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmagazine View Post
Why are you on here? It is painful to read your responses. Not sure if they carry them - but T&T Liquid (Industrial suppliers) on King West near the Metro may carry some boots.
I assume "hmagazine" indicates you run "H Magazine". It's painful to read your website. I mean, is April 2008 really your current issue? Please get with it before addressing others' non-shortcomings.

Anyway, the question posed was "Where to buy shoes in Hamilton?" My answer was a mall in Hamilton. There was nothing wrong with that answer.

Further,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
Lime ridge? That's a joke, right?
Why would it be a joke? I said it because,

Quote:
I guess there isn't much downtown.
Thank you.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 3:03 AM

I'm well aware of the abundance of shoe destinations in malls and shopping centres hence my request:
Quote:
Downtown suggestions only please.
I can't dictate the type of responses I get on a public forum, but I chose to make a polite request. Too often, the shortcomings of my chosen city are thrown in my face by people who are simply ignorant; when it comes from someone 5 blocks away, I see no need to argue. As much as our downtown has suffered, I choose to support it. People live here for all sorts of reasons. One of my biggest ones is the ability to walk to destinations; for others, maybe it's cheap rent, easy to access social services, or abundance of crack cocaine. I fail to understand Millstone's reasons but that's okay. I'm glad he lives here.

There may not be alot of options downtown, but we can support and promote what options there are. I might not know where to find shoes but maybe someone else does. If we help spread the word, and bother to ask when we don't know, more people will be aware.

I'd like to start some kind of online resource for local shopping. You could look up certain items and get a list of local retailers by neighbourhood. Or you could look up typical chain stores and it would give you suggested alternatives. I'll start by making a thread on here for people to post there local shopping requests.

Found some shoes downtown today. Thanks all.

Last edited by Jon Dalton; May 15, 2009 at 3:38 AM.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millstone View Post
I assume "hmagazine" indicates you run "H Magazine". It's painful to read your website. I mean, is April 2008 really your current issue? Please get with it before addressing others' non-shortcomings.
I don't know anyone who even reads H mag online. You don't have to because you can find it all over the city in print form, free. It must take alot of work to distribute a pubilcation city wide every month (while also running a business full time). Maybe that's why the website isn't such a focus.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 4:23 AM
BANNED

Plain and simple------

Walmart.

Regardless of nationality of orgin - they really do get it right, and most usually have it in stock and on the shelf.

IMHO very few get it as right as Walmart, - sad but very, very true. That is what made them.

mic67

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 1:01 PM

I can gladly say that i've never stepped foot in a wal-mart.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 1:05 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic67 View Post
very few get it as right as Walmart
Not sure I agree with that. Wal-Mart owns the Asda chain in the UK. Before they bought Asda, Asda had introduced the "George" range of clothing and that was doing very well (let's just say M&S freaked out). Wal-Mart brought the "George" range to North America after they bought Asda.

We have done a side by side comparison of identical clothes from the "George" range, bought for my nephew from Asda in the UK and from Wal-Mart here. The quality from the Wal-Mart here is such that if my Sister-in-Law wants something from the "George" range now, she'll get my Mum to buy it in the UK and bring it out when she visits. The quality of the Wal-Mart stuff here is SO much lower.

I know Wal-Mart is cheap and that's fine for the purchasing of items, which you can buy elsewhere, but are clearly cheaper in Wal-Mart. But for other things that they sell, you get what you pay for!

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic67 View Post
Plain and simple------

Walmart.

Regardless of nationality of orgin - they really do get it right, and most usually have it in stock and on the shelf.

IMHO very few get it as right as Walmart, - sad but very, very true. That is what made them.

mic67
Depends on your concept of 'right'. What they got right is how to lower the bar for everyone else in terms of price AND quality by virtue of enormous purchasing quantities. WalMart takes up such a high percentage of sales for so many products that they can demand price reductions from the manufacturers, who have no choice but to comply at the expense of their own standards.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 4:34 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millstone View Post
I assume "hmagazine" indicates you run "H Magazine". It's painful to read your website. I mean, is April 2008 really your current issue? Please get with it before addressing others' non-shortcomings.=
Cut me some slack. I have a friend who is going to give us a hand. Have you ever tried putting out a monthly magazine in print form? It's a a lot of work - especially when you are a volunteer - which I am. My question to you is: do you actually leave your perch over at the Annex Lofts or do you just criticize everything from the safe confines of your condo?

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 6:16 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmagazine View Post
It's a a lot of work - especially when you are a volunteer - which I am.
You do a surprisingly large amount + family commitments!

I'm not sure I could do even half as much!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 8:59 PM
Closed account

rename this thread

How about we rename this thread 'Where to buy...in Hamilton' and use it as a catch all for unusual retail requests?

In that spirit, I'm wondering if anyone knows a place I can get those sugar skulls they use in Mexico for their Day of the Dead celebrations. I inquired at Mex-I-Can last year and they said I would have to go to Toronto. Surely there must be somewhere here.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 2:26 PM
Needs more coffee...

I wonder if Walker's or another specialty chocolate/candy store would have them or be able to order them from a supplier?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 4:16 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

I have no idea what a sugar skull is....

im looking for elements of my Criss Angel costume.... I guess those head-shops on King East will do??

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 4:54 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
I have no idea what a sugar skull is....
http://mexicansugarskull.com/

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 5:28 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

interesting

i've never seen them before... can't help where to buy.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion