HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 8, 2016, 3:40 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Secondly, Chicago has a huge lakeshore park and boulevard; Toronto hasn't. This is not bad, but changes the prespective and feeling of the city.
That Chicago lakeshore boulevard looks really depressing in all the pictures I've seen. Totally cuts the city off from the water. Of course the Gardiner does something similar for Toronto. (And on a much smaller scale Water Street in Thunder Bay's north end does the same. What's with cities and building a busy arterial road between the downtown and the waterfront?)

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 11:52 PM
Heart of the Continent

Here's a question - why does no one use this sub forum?

Old Posted May 15, 2016, 1:08 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Because of Urbantoronto...

Old Posted May 15, 2016, 5:29 PM
Heart of the Continent

That's right, I forgot about that. I read Urbantoronto sometimes. Their airport discussions really suck though, and transportation is one of my interests.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 8:10 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Chicago will always have the historic skyscrapers that Toronto will never have. Unfortunately

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 7:14 PM

Question Can't Toronto learn to be "bien dans la peau?"

I just wish that somehow, Toronto could be content "just being itself" instead of always trying to measure up to Chicago (or NYC, for that matter).

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 10:18 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
I just wish that somehow, Toronto could be content "just being itself" instead of always trying to measure up to Chicago (or NYC, for that matter).
Increasingly it does just want to be a bigger better version of itself. When I moved here in 2001 Toronto had an inferiority complex and felt very unsure of itself. Over the last 15 years that's been replaced by confidence, ambition, an acknowledgement that this is one of the world's great cities, and that it stacks up well to any other.

That said, its human nature to compare. Perhaps the only city I've been to that doesn't do that is New York. Even in London, they're continually comparing how they stack up to New York ....and to a lesser extent Paris. They do more of that than Torontonians do imo.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 1:46 AM

If we are talking about sheer volume of highrises Toronto has had Chicago beat for some time. Toronto currently has over 2300 highrises (12 floors or higher) while Chicago has just under 1300. But as many have said Toronto is a very different city than Chicago and cities should not be measured by number of skyscrapers. Will Toronto ever have as many 50 story buildings as Chicago? Its gonna be a while. Will Chicago ever be home to more highrises than Toronto? Not in this lifetime. The two cities both have a couple things I love. A Great Lake and waves of skyscrapers that stretch for miles.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 10:01 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

50 Storey Towers as of today, using the SSP database

Built and U/C
Chicago - 65
Toronto - 44

Proposed
Toronto 47
Chicago - 8

Total
Toronto - 91
Chicago - 73

Toronto needs to keep up this building boom for another 10 years...

Old Posted Sep 5, 2016, 11:24 PM
BANNED

According to my research, Toronto has 44 buildings U/C or completed that are 50+ stories while Chicago has 66 buildings U/C or completed that are 50+ stories. Keeping in mind that more of Toronto's buildings are residential thus they would be shorter on average than Chicago's buildings so Chicago has half again as many skyscrapers as Toronto and the ones they do have aren't as tall as Chicago's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapin View Post
Theres no shame in being number 3 in USA/Canada.
Toronto's not just 3rd in USA/Canada but i'm pretty sure if you take Asia out of the equation, Toronto's 3rd in the world.

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Sep 12, 2016 at 9:55 PM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 7:35 PM

I think there are a number of South American cities that have Toronto beat by a long shot as well.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 11:16 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
If we are talking about sheer volume of highrises Toronto has had Chicago beat for some time. Toronto currently has over 2300 highrises (12 floors or higher) while Chicago has just under 1300. But as many have said Toronto is a very different city than Chicago and cities should not be measured by number of skyscrapers. Will Toronto ever have as many 50 story buildings as Chicago? Its gonna be a while. Will Chicago ever be home to more highrises than Toronto? Not in this lifetime. The two cities both have a couple things I love. A Great Lake and waves of skyscrapers that stretch for miles.
How do you get 2300?

There's 1990 since last update in the city (probably past the monumental 2000 now) and 544 in the suburbs.

There's a fundamental difference between Chicago and Toronto. Toronto has high rises in every corner of the city. Chicago's are focused on a small part of the city. This has led to the core of Toronto feeling much smaller as the core of Chicago is not only taller but has many more high rises.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 11:21 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I think there are a number of South American cities that have Toronto beat by a long shot as well.
Brazil probably has 150,000 high rises but, you can count the number of 50 storeys on one hand.

Panama -34
Mexico - 6
Argentina - 3
Brazil - 2
Chile - 2 (one supertall)
Venezuela - 2
Colombia - 2

for 50 storey towers listed in the SSP database. (should be quite accurate for this height)

Last edited by WhipperSnapper; Sep 19, 2016 at 11:37 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
How the hell is this even a conversation!...Toronto is not even in the same realm as Chicago!...Downtown Chicago is so much vaster and denser than Toronto even with Toronoto's recent building boom there is no comparison...the street life is Chicago is so much more vibrant and all the buildings create these amazing caynons and connectiveness... this is what Toronot has always lacked. Who cares that Toronto has more high rises... there high rises are all 12 stories to 20 stories scattered throughtout the suburbs...Chicago has taller buildings on average throughout the downtown vicinity... Technically Chicago could have a lot more high rises throughout the city itself too if it was just building shorter buildings and then capping them off at 30 stories... duhhhh

Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 3:38 AM
Heart of the Continent

Of course, you're far less likely to be murdered in Toronto. It's far more lively in that way.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 3:46 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
How the hell is this even a conversation!...Toronto is not even in the same realm as Chicago!...Downtown Chicago is so much vaster and denser than Toronto even with Toronoto's recent building boom there is no comparison...the street life is Chicago is so much more vibrant and all the buildings create these amazing caynons and connectiveness... this is what Toronot has always lacked. Who cares that Toronto has more high rises... there high rises are all 12 stories to 20 stories scattered throughtout the suburbs...Chicago has taller buildings on average throughout the downtown vicinity... Technically Chicago could have a lot more high rises throughout the city itself too if it was just building shorter buildings and then capping them off at 30 stories... duhhhh
I don't normally swear on this site, but...

You're so full of shit, your eyes must be brown.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 2:26 PM

I agree with koops when it comes to the amount of buildings. If you're referring to buildings 150 meters and higher Chicago is still way ahead but when it comes to buildings between 50 and 150 meters Toronto has a lot more

Quote:
I agree it's not good for us to feel that way

Last edited by Kamuix; Oct 14, 2016 at 2:43 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 5:38 PM
I am the law!

Not sure how these comparisons amount to Toronto not being content with itself. That doesn't mean some may take it too far.

That isn't exclusive to Torontonians either. Just look at some of the recent posts

Old Posted Oct 16, 2016, 12:49 PM

well this is the "Skyscraperpage" so buildings over 400ft (used to be over 500ft) are technically what we care about..but regardless chicago still has a significant larger stock of buildings at these ranges (probaly 60 to 70 more buildings chicago has even with underconstruction) and the buildings are in a more compact location... Toronto can claim to the title of 15 to 30 story if they want though ..

Old Posted Oct 16, 2016, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
well this is the "Skyscraperpage" so buildings over 400ft (used to be over 500ft) are technically what we care about..but regardless chicago still has a significant larger stock of buildings at these ranges (probaly 60 to 70 more buildings chicago has even with underconstruction) and the buildings are in a more compact location... Toronto can claim to the title of 15 to 30 story if they want though ..

LOL way to drag up an old thread with your bitter insecurities. You've obviously never travelled to Toronto otherwise you would know that every statement you made is so far from reality.

Hey what's your murder count this year? I love Chicago and go there from time to time but the second you leave the core the segregation and racism in your city is mind boggling.

Defend Chicago all you want troll but it's pretty pathetic that there are two cities that are comparable in size have such different living standards. You'll never find anywhere in Toronto as run down or sketchy as huge swaths of Chicago.

Current murder counts btw.
Chicago: 571
Toronto: 53

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto