HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 5:27 AM

Not to mention the fact that Juniors closed early this year....

(From the deep distant past? No. It's not like Juniors was in a position to challenge Cole's or Phillipe's.....But 51 years is a pretty good run...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
i hate mcmansions...that area needs to stay the way it is,with the last part of the PE line gone on santa monica,the only thing thats left from the past is the apple pan,even the westside pavillion has changed!and thats like 30 yrs old at most

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
Great footwork, Procab! Too bad about the poison oak.

Is the tunnel where the "water works" is, or is that something else? I know the area has changed tremendously since this 1921 map:

Historic Mapworks (http://www.historicmapworks.com/Map/US/19434)/Plate+028)
It is really hard to tell on your map because Buena Reservoir is shaped differently than every other map I've seen. Below is a snippet from a 1928 USGS topo.

The left circle is the Solano School, the right circle is the water works and the line is approximately the path of the tunnel.

I don't think the water works building exists but I believe it was right here.

As for the tunnel it should cross the Arroyo Seco Pkwy close to the entrance of the eastern most tunnel.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 5:36 AM

the original photograph.

ebay
__

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 5:48 AM

I don't know much about cars, but I certainly like the shape of this one.

Los Angeles slide/ebay
__

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckaluck View Post
"Old" Ascot Park? "About 63rd Street, East side Los Angeles?" (May be marked early 1900's, but based on the cars and cameras, more likely late teens, if not later.)

http://sunsite.berkeley.edu

"Barney Oldfield races his front-drive Christie against a Curtis bi-plane at the old Ascot track (1913)"
http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics28/00048898.jpg
The upper picture is not Ascot. It is the board track that was located in Culver City. The Baldwin Hills are in the background.
It was moved from its former location in Beverly Hills in 1924 after the value of the land it sat on appreciated from $1,000 per acre to $10,000 in four years!
The streets where it was located in Culver City are still shaped in the curve of the track.

The second picture and the one below were taken at the original Ascot Park which was located between Gage, Florence and Central.
Gage is currently bracketed by 62nd and 64th Streets which may have led to the incorrect annotation on the first picture.
When the the city cleaned up Agricultural Park everyone just picked up and moved a bit further south. Ascot Park was operational between 1904 - 1920.
The horse racing ceased in '06 or '07 and moved on to Lucky Baldwin's place.

Click for larger versions
www.loc.gov

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 7:19 AM

Ascot Park, Culver City

Quote:
Originally Posted by procab View Post
The streets where it was located in Culver City are still shaped in the curve of the track.
Is that why Motor Ave is called Motor Ave?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I don't know much about cars, but I certainly like the shape of this one.

Los Angeles slide/ebay
__
Good taste E_R! The 1947 Oldsmobile Dynamic 70 Coupe had incredible lines and was a huge seller in post-war America!!! One of Harley Earle's finest.

Lets fantisize that someone saved the Olds in the picture so it could become this

Photo; Detroit Metal Magazine

~Jon Paul

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Thank you Flyingwedge, but my question:

"Why did Marchesseault (the mayor) turn into Marchessault (the street)?"

...was actually just about the spelling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damien_Marchesseault

That's it in a nutshell.
Oops, sorry, my bad.

Well, just how was it spelled, anyway?

There's this . . .
Ice @ $.15 a pound, El Clamor Publico, April 18, 1857:

USC Digital (http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co.../id/376/rec/20)

And this . . .
1860 Census:

Fold3.com (http://www.fold3.com/image/#33657094)

But then . . .
Los Angeles Star, June 7, 1862:

USC Digital (http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co.../id/454/rec/28)

Hmmm . . .
Mayor's Message, Los Angeles Star, May 21, 1864:

USC Digital (http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...id/1394/rec/26)

Suffice to say, it seems to have been a problem in his own time. If preponderance of usage is an indication of correctness, there are more Los Angeles Star editions with -eault than -ault.

Maybe whoever made the first street sign or drew the first map left off the extra e, and it's been Marchessault ever since? Here's the 1872 Los Angeles City and County Directory; look for two Morenos about 1/3 down the left-hand column (apparently alphabetizing beyond the first letter was too much to ask):

Ancestry.com (http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....on/ladir72.htm)

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
That's the Los Angeles Warehouse Co building in the background:

LAPL
-

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 9:27 AM

Quote:
I came across this interesting photograph earlier today while going through some old cds of mine.

The only information I have on the photo is 'railroad spur'. (duh!)

cd/unknown

Does anyone have an idea where this is?
__
This building stood at the southeast corner of Aliso Street at San Pedro Street. The R.R spur referred to left N. Alameda at Ferguson Alley (near Union Station) and would someday cross the 101 Fwy. at this very location. The girder bridge for this spur was only recently removed.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 10:48 AM

Marchesseault/Marchessault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
Oops, sorry, my bad.

Well, just how was it spelled, anyway?

If preponderance of usage is an indication of correctness, there are more Los Angeles Star editions with -eault than -ault.

Maybe whoever made the first street sign or drew the first map left off the extra e, and it's been Marchessault ever since?
Not your bad at all, it was just idle curiosity on my part. As Damien Marchesseault is quoted as signing his suicide note "Marchesseault" and it was his last word, I'm happy to let him have it. Maybe the cartographer was careless or just going for the phonetic, making sure we kept the pronunciation to three syllables rather than four. I really don't know, but I was rather charmed by the note he left behind for his wife:

"My Dear Mary: - By my drinking to excess, and gambling also, I have involved myself to the amount of about three thousand dollars which I have borrowed from time to time from friends and acquaintances. Under the promise to return the same the following day, which I have often failed to do. To such and extend have I gone in this way that I am now ashamed to meet my fellow man on the street; besides that, I have deeply wronged you as a husband, by spending my money instead of maintaining you as it become a husband to do. Though you have near complained of my miserable conduct, you nevertheless have suffered too much. I therefore, to save you from farther disgrace and trouble, being that I cannot maintain you respectably, I shall end this state of thing this very morning. Of course, in all this, there is no blame-attached contrary you have asked me to permit you to earn money honestly by teaching and I refused. You have always been true to me. If I write these few lines, it is to set you a night before this wicked world, to keep slander from blaming you in way manner whatever. Now, my dear beloved, I hope that you will pardon me, and also Mr. Sainsevain. It is time to part, God bless you, and may you be happy yet, your husband Damien Marchesseault."

He sounds like a nice enough guy, no wickeder than many. Too bad, but he wound up a somewhat messy life neatly and graciously.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 12:24 PM

Court St & Mignonette Remnants

This is from the corner of Fremont and Mignonette

Opposite Corner

This is the first of four stairways between Mignonette and Court.

Second

Third

Forth

Something that has always made me curious are these 4 canisters at the top of the second property. I have always wondered what they are for.

I finally went up an took a closer look

Court St

And just because.... The Los Angeles Light and Power parking garage on Beaudry st. juxtaposed against the Roybal Learning Center (Should have been named the Prudent Beaudry Learning Center)

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 1:28 PM

WLA Janss Trract

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
i hate mcmansions...that area needs to stay the way it is,with the last part of the PE line gone on santa monica,the only thing thats left from the past is the apple pan,even the westside pavillion has changed!and thats like 30 yrs old at most
The neighborhood changes all the time unihikid. The Pico Drive-in (1934), a first for California, used to be where the Westside Pavillion is now. The drive-in gave way to Westland (1950), a very early shopping center. I remember it well. Westside Pavillion replaced it in 1985, retaining only the 1949 parking structure and May Co building. Not liking enclosed malls, I rarely ventured in it. An annex was built on the other side of Westwood Blvd in 1991, displacing the Charles S Lee -designed Picwood Theater (1948), our nice, old local movie house plus the Picwood Bowl and Coffee Shop A "skybridge" connected the the two parts of the mall, the building of which was furiously objected to by local residents. I remember the developer at one meeting crying out in exasperation, "You got your environmental impact report, it cost $100K. What do you people want?!" We did get the bridge limited to about a quarter of the proposed width. The developer wanted it wide enough so he could rent out shops in our air. We were still mad about the Picwood. We weren't gonna give the guy any free "real estate". The annex failed, turning into an empty eyesore. It was replaced with the Landmark Theaters in 2007. The damn bridge is still there though.

The Apple Pan ("Quality Forever, Since 1947") hasn't changed...much, although the extension on the east side wiped out a charming bit of landscaping. My little girl confided to me once that it was a haven for faeries.

I think the reconfigured Santa Monica Blvd is a disaster, although there's a slight entertainment value in watching drivers get lost in it's confusingly competing traffic lanes. Century City Shopping Center (1964), built on part of the 20th Century Fox backlot (formerly part of Tom Mix' ranch), only expanded in '76 on the city's (later broken) promise to build a freeway spur from Beverly Hills to the 405 with an exit at the mall. (dunno why we were supposed to pay for the convenience of people in BH). The shopping center thrived without it. The AMC14 theaters were added in 1987. We spent some happy afternoons watching construction helicopters agilely and expertly position big steel beams to build it. Those theaters were gorgeous, many like big neighborhood houses, with really comfortable seats and double aisles. They were trashed in 2004. Westfield's took over in 2002. Three Westfield bigwigs came up from Australia for the reopening and were wandering around introducing themselves while passing out stuffed, toy kangaroos to kids. I told them renaming the place "ShoppingTown" was a big mistake (there's a Tiffany's there for heaven's sake), not the first person to do so I'm sure. The execs looked more than a little worried but waited three years before changing the name. Westfield's has built over every bit of available footage, eking out every possible square inch of rental space. It now seems cramped and unpleasant, but I'm not possessed of disposable income at the moment anyway.

Combining Big and Little Santa Monica Blvds into one monster road (no longer technically a freeway) was finally supposed to start in 1994, but we were saved by the '94 earthquake, the money being needed elsewhere in the city for repairs. When the project came up again, the neighborhood resisted mightily. A couple of small parks and a jogging trail were wanted on the old P.E. right-of-way, maybe not the ideal location, but the neighborhood is desperate for open space. Ramps to the 405 from Olympic, already a monster road, would have lessened the traffic on Big Santa Monica. Endless meetings ensued while the city reps took notes of our wishes. When the city's final plan was unveiled we were faced with...a new, big, monster road. The anger was not lessened by the reps' assurance that they had listened to our every word and taken our every desire into account by designing a big, monster road lined with trees for the benefit of Beverly Hills. The city people were angry at us because, after bowing to our every whim, it turned out we were ingrates. What a charade, and a 35-year one at that. I'm still amazed that the widening of Overland Ave between Pico and Santa Monica Blvd has at least been temporarily halted, a fight that's been going on for more than fifteen years.

So, unihikid, the neighborhood continues to change, but most of the decisions are not made here, they're made in Sydney or where ever, or downtown in those wretched, secret confabs between the city government and developers, far from public scrutiny or local control.

Picwood Theater (1948) Charles S Lee:

islandora

Near the end, 1990:

coffeeinspace/flickr

All ten squirrely lanes of combined Santa Monica Blvd/California State Route 2:

google maps

Last edited by tovangar2; Sep 22, 2015 at 4:46 AM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 1:38 PM

Last edited by so-cal-bear; Aug 5, 2013 at 1:46 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcork View Post
This is from the corner of Fremont and Mignonette

Very nice job with the pics, Westcork!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malumot View Post
Not to mention the fact that Juniors closed early this year....

(From the deep distant past? No. It's not like Juniors was in a position to challenge Cole's or Phillipe's.....But 51 years is a pretty good run...)

I noticed that too! i was surprised that juniors is no more,i only went there once and thought the food was so so but i called it the Canters of the westside.tovangar2 i remember the picwood slightly,we would pass it on the way to allied model trains when it was on pico(the building had a painted sunset limited).I had my first bank account at Cal Fed on pico and overland.The amc was a nice theatre,my mom worked at CBS on little santa monica back in the 80s and we would go there alot.I didnt know the bridge was not wanted by the public.Since were in the area,at Pico and Sawtell on the southwest corner is a old spanish building,its right along an old right of way..was it a pe or southern pacific station at one time?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 6:40 PM

Quote:
I've never heard of this impressive apartment building before.

ebay

Perhaps it's visible in some early aerials.
__

LAT

LAPL

In the center of the pic, at the northeast corner of Figueroa & 10th/Olympic, across from the taller, still-standing Figueroa Hotel. Aerial dated by LAPL as Oct 1955.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Is that why Motor Ave is called Motor Ave?
I've read that, but the street that bears that name north of the studios predates the track. Was it renamed? I don't know.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 8:41 PM

Three from Paul.Malon's Flickr stream:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulmal...in/photostream

The first is large to make the text readable.

Gotta be more to this story :-)

Arbuckle's Plantation was in Culver City, "on Washington Boulevard, across from La Ballona School;" more here:

http://www.culvercity.org/en/Visitor...ightClubs.aspx

"Gimme a Club-Burger honey, apple pie ala mode and coffee, pie first." Variation of the standard order of my great-uncle, who had been an investigator for Earl Warren when Warren was Alameda County DA. He was always getting murder calls in the middle of lunch and hated missing his pie. The habit stuck for the rest of his life.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 9:51 PM

What's OUR name ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Past View Post

Found on eBay.

BifRayRock (591 #11814) says Noir'ers ;
LWize (612 #12225) says Noirists ;
Tovangar2 (623 #12443) says Noirishers.

I'm too French to sense what name is the better. Ethereal it's on you to decide.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos