HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
I'm still wondering why the Angels Flight station house got truncated in the 20's, why the six-bay 1910 version wasn't restored when the railway was relocated and also when the unfortunate, bulky porch was added. The arches of the open pavilion end of the 1910 version were picked out in lights to match the gate at the lower terminus. Jim Dawson never brings the subject up in his book on Angels Flight. (And if anyone has a better pic of the 1910 version, I'd love to see it.)
The best I could come up with was a CA Historical Society/USC photo that has certainly been posted before. The station is a very small portion of the original photo however, so I pulled down the full resolution image, cropped it down to the station only, and messed with the shading a hair so perhaps it's a little bit easier to see. With their new system of breaking up the pictures into pieces this was a gigantic pain, which required downloading 15 separate images and putting them back together again.

Here it is at half size; click the image for the full-resolution pic:

USC Digital Library

Here is the same picture, in full size but without the shading changed.

I would really love to see a good, head-on photo of it from the Olive Street side, but I couldn't find one.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
The 26th annual Academy Awards Ceremony at the Pantages Theater on Hollywood Blvd. (1954)

ucla digital archive

above: To the extreme right you can see a portion of the neon sign for the Frolic Room.
Pantages Theater, a few years earlier.

All from CalStLib

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 5:40 PM

King Vidor's Summit Drive Home. Design primarily attributed to Wallace Neff.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Pmjd5_C6-M..._0940_001n.jpg

Back in the mid-'80s, a friend of a friend of mine was renting the King Vidor Estate and he let us use the old (and by then converted) horse stable (middle left in photo) as an office/studio for our freelance writing group. I even had my bachelor party up there... complete with strippers. I'm sure King Vidor would have been proud.

Last edited by TheTalmadge; Jan 1, 2013 at 9:02 PM.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 6:18 PM

Larry Harnisch has a pointer to an eBay listing of three nightclub photo folders from the 1940s. One is from the Florentine Gardens, the other two from Ace Cain’s, 1369 N. Western Ave., and the Pirate’s Den, 335 N. La Brea. Can't remember if the last two have showed up on this forum.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 7:16 PM

Hollywood Hobby Shop

Going to a movie in Hollywood in the early fifties was fun. We rode our bikes or took the Streetcar and sometimes walked. No rush then. On the way home we would stop at Reginald Denny's Hobby Shop and marvel at the airplanes hung from the ceiling. Later stop would be the miniature golf place by Vermont and Hollywood. Fun times.[IMG][/IMG]
LAPL Photo

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 7:24 PM

Lighted Stop Sign

Stop Signs in the early days had more class than nowadays. This one is an Auto Club of So. Cal. lighted Stop Sign somewhere on the eastside of the L.A. River.[IMG][/IMG]
Sam Flowers Collection Photo

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Graham View Post
Going to a movie in Hollywood in the early fifties was fun. We rode our bikes or took the Streetcar and sometimes walked. No rush then. On the way home we would stop at Reginald Denny's Hobby Shop and marvel at the airplanes hung from the ceiling. Later stop would be the miniature golf place by Vermont and Hollywood. Fun times.[IMG][/IMG]
LAPL Photo
From the Academy of Model Aeronautics history page:

Born Reginald Leigh Daymore on November 20, 1891, Denny grew up in England. Working with a stage group, he toured parts of the world in his early 20s. But he was also an avid flier and airplane designer. He was an aviator with the Royal Air Force during WWI, and though he started back into his acting career when the war ended, he also kept up with his airplane passion.

He moved to Hollywood for the film industry, and while there opened a model store, “Reginald Denny’s Hobby Shop.” In the 1930s, his model kit, the Denny Jr., fashioned by his company, Reginald Denny Industries, was a hit. His Dennymite engines were used frequently by modelers. His company also produced Jimmie Allen kits and other kits for kids.

During WWII, his company made RC target drones for the military, called Radioplanes. Norma Jeane Mortenson (Marilyn Monroe) worked on building these planes in the shop, where she was “discovered.”

After the War, Denny moved to England and passed away in 1967.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 8:35 PM

Angels Flight Station House

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post
I would really love to see a good, head-on photo of it from the Olive Street side, but I couldn't find one.
It is a pity there doesn't seem to be a decent photo of the front facade, especially considering how many times Angels Flight has been photographed, but thank you so much for all your astounding efforts above. It's wonderful to have this. You've performed a real service on behalf of LA history.

I wish the full station had been recreated for California Plaza, a bland and dreary space. I usually resist recreations, but I would welcome having this back.

I remain perplexed as to what happened to the original pavilion. As one can see in the 1920's view, the stumps of the pillars remain in place:

Thx too to BRR for the delicious pix of the Pantages when it was sharp and new. The crispness is gorgeous. A revelation as one can barely see it anymore, it's so buried under signage.

LA Legman has a recent little noiry story re the Frolic Room:

http://legmanla.com/post/681642804/h...he-frolic-room

P.S. HollywoodGraham, what on earth is this?:

Last edited by tovangar2; Jan 1, 2013 at 9:02 PM. Reason: add P.S.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 10:48 PM

[/QUOTE]
I don't recall it being there when I went there. I looked for a better photo but was not successful . I would not mind having it in my yard however.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 11:07 PM

I'd take a pair of them, even if I did at first think it was a gravity-defying pile of potatoes.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobocat View Post
I love all the great photos on this site! Keeps me entertained for hours. The train station at 526 S Central was actually Southern Pacific's Central Station. In the days before Union Station (pre 1939) each of the 3 major carriers had their own stations. Santa Fe's was La Grande Station at 100 S Santa Fe Ave and Union Pacific's was right across the L.A. River from there. Railroad Hotels were common near depots in those days and it's possible this was once the "S.P." Hotel and a name change may have occured after Central Station was closed and new owners took over.
Hi Hobocat - Your post got me looking again, and I found this 1909 map:

memory.loc.gov

It appears that when the Southern Pacific Arcade Depot was there, the U.P. Hotel at the corner of Central and Ceres was called the Hotel Matson. The S.P. Hotel was a block north at the corner of Gladys and Central.

The corner where the S.P. Hotel was, is now...

Google Street View

...another fish fry place.

By the way, that Arcade Depot in the map is now this:

Google Street View

Last edited by FredH; Jan 2, 2013 at 3:12 AM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 3:11 AM

[QUOTE=GaylordWilshire;5951526]While in the 1890s there was a Laclede House apartment building at 713 S Main St, it seems that the Laclede in the picture was at 318 Crocker St. The house at this address appears to have
had several names before it was called the Laclede, among them the Palace and the Oatka. It seems to have only been called the Laclede for a short time, first appearing in the 1911 city
directory; a few years later it was called the Kingsbury, the contents of which--including "a good talking parrot and cage"--were apparently auctioned off in February 1917.

LAT

GaylordWilshire: While I was fooling around with that 1909 map, I went up to Crocker Street for a look:

memory.loc.gov

It looks like the Laclede was the Datka when the map was made.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
A 1926 aerial view of South Pasadena showing the Raymond Hotel in the distance to the left.

usc digital archive
More Raymond

1898 - Competition down the street, "The Green."

1922 - The Green Hotel,

1900 Green

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 4:15 AM

a few pages ago we were talking about the culver city/ivy sub station.I dont think this photo has been posted before but its a nice color shot.Im surprised that a park is at a substation.
photo by pehs

and where was the palms rail station?

and this is a shot of sunset looking towards union station,they put in a "shoefly" to make way for a bridge for the hollywood freeway...

and since bif has taken us to south pass and so we can get back on track...
huntington and ..darn i cant think of the street but gus's bbq is right up the way
all photos by memebers of the pacific electric railway historical group

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Graham View Post
I don't recall it being there when I went there. I looked for a better photo but was not successful . I would not mind having it in my yard however.[/QUOTE]

we discussed this a few yrs back,i wish the search feature was more user friendly.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
huntington and ..darn i cant think of the street but gus's bbq is right up the way

Huntington & Fair Oaks, looking north.

Looks like this now:

Google Street View

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:27 AM

1942 Motor Cop

1942 and the LAPD is sporting gas masks and civil defense helmets on their motorcycles, war jitters. This is my father, after running into the back end of a speeder who panic stopped when he hit the siren he decided to become a detective instead. That happened twice to him, he got the message.[IMG][/IMG]
Sam Flowers Collection

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 7:20 AM

More Vernon

At LAPL I came across pictures of some interesting industrial facilities in Vernon.

#1: Canada Dry, 4501 District Blvd., c. 1938.
Below "Canada Dry" it says the champagne of Ginger Ales.
Why is Canada Dry in quotation marks? Don't say it's because they look better than brackets or parentheses. Must have been how the company advertised itself I suppose.
Apropos of Hollywood Graham's recent post about stop signs, look at the stop sign here. What is a Boulevard Stop?

It's not there anymore.
http://jpg1.lapl.org/00100/00100700.jpg

#2: Vernon Potteries, 2300 E. 52nd St., Sept 28, 1931.

http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics24/00046977.jpg
It's not there anymore either, but it was reproduced on this vintage souvenir plate:

http://www.vernonware.com/picture_ga...nier_plate.jpg
A new owner bought the former Poxon China Co. (1916-1931) and renamed it Vernon Potteries, hence the date on the plate. Vernon Potteries/Kilns closed in 1958. (Plate photo www.vernonware.com)

#3: Herberts Machinery Co., 2929 South Santa Fe Ave., c. 1938.

http://jpg1.lapl.org/00099/00099109.jpg
It's still there, minus some stuff:

The windows down the left side of the building have been filled in like those in the front, but the windows down the right side of the building survive.
(Google Streetview)
P.S. At least the car isn't parked in front of the NO PARKING sign!

4: Le Roi-Rix Machinery Co., 3817 South Santa Fe Ave., c. 1938.

http://jpg1.lapl.org/00099/00099112.jpg
It's still there, too:

(Google Streetview)

5: John O. Gilbert Chocolate Co., 4368 District Blvd., June 1929.
Mr. Gilbert was a Jackson, Michigan-based confectioner. The company has been sold many times over the years but is still in business: http://www.gilbertchocolates.com/about_us.html

http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics25/00047084.jpg
It's still there as well, but not that you'd know:

(Google Streetview)
The LA County Assessor says this building was built in 1928, so it's got to be the same one.

I hope everyone's new year is off to a great start!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 8:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
a few pages ago we were talking about the culver city/ivy sub station.I dont think this photo has been posted before but its a nice color shot.Im surprised that a park is at a substation.
photo by pehs

and where was the palms rail station?

and this is a shot of sunset looking towards union station,they put in a "shoefly" to make way for a bridge for the hollywood freeway...

P.E. No. 966 is inbound on the Redondo Beach-Del Rey Line and is about to enter Venice Short Line trackage at Culver Jct. where it will proceed to downtown.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
One has to love how water, gas and oil keep rising to the surface in LA, no matter how much we pretend otherwise. Sacatela Creek can still cause havoc at Wilshire and Mariposa.

The Stream of the Garden of Flowers

Quote:
Top middle of photo is the Wilshire Country Club and what's left of Arroyo del Jardin de los Flores, The Stream of the Garden of Flowers. The stream flowed from the location of today's Wilshire Country Club through Hancock Park, joining another creek that eventually drained to Ballona Creek near La Brea and St. Elmo Drive. The majority of this creek was piped and filled; a portion of it remains above ground at the Wilshire County Club, and a creek running through Brookside Estates also shares this name.
Post '40s (Notice absence of Britt's Dept Store/KMart - probably dating photo to late '50s)
Lapl

Quote:
Large square of undeveloped land showing two mounds (right of oil field) is El Arroyo del Jardin de los Flores, The Stream of the Garden of Flowers. The stream flowed from the location of today's Wilshire Country Club through Hancock Park, joining another creek that eventually drained to Ballona Creek near La Brea and St. Elmo Drive. The majority of this creek was piped and filled; a portion of it remains above ground at the Wilshire County Club, and a creek running through Brookside Estates also shares this name. View also shows a large oil field, La Arqa Develop. #97, in the distance.

Last edited by BifRayRock; Jan 2, 2013 at 2:13 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos