HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 1:53 AM

I'm embarrassed I had that date so far off the mark.
I don't know what I was thinking.

I tried to send you a personal message but your mail box is full. -just thought you'd like to know it's full.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 21, 2017 at 4:46 AM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 4:30 AM

Please don't be embarrassed, but yeah, I'm only 70, not 90 :-)

I cleared out the messages, I hadn't noticed. Thx

...............................................................................................................

I noticed this photo though. The Polyanna Club is in the lower left corner, at No. 326
(confusingly, according to the Baist maps, the building was at No. 326 in 1910, but had been renumbered as No. 324 by 1921)

http://web.csulb.edu/~odinthor/socal8.html

"...shot of the east side of the 300s block [of Clay]. Off to the left, Hill Street runs its course, its corner with Fourth Street very nearly at the center of this view. On Hill Street, at center left, the building bathed in light is the Fire Department headquarters at addresses 346-348, formerly the location of Engine Company No. 8. Off in the distance, we see the Hotel Lankershim looming at the intersection of Broadway and Seventh."

Here's a larger version from the Huntington dl. The photo is from 1902.
Notice the "Aldine" at 324-326 Hill St, directly east of the Polyanna Club building:

CC Pierce/HDL (detail)

baist, 1910, plate 2 (detail; annotated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

............................................................................................................

Thank you for this one Beaudry. Another photo that seems one could walk right into:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
Couple images looking up Clay from Fourth—
getty

.........................................................................................................

Now something's squirrely with my photo links too. That ending is gone, but they're oddly long. I use Picasa3.

Last edited by tovangar2; Mar 2, 2017 at 10:36 AM. Reason: new photo link; 2 images

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 6:41 AM

Has anyone heard of this noirish place on E. 5th street, circa 1950 ......Leo's Jolly Club. (to the right is the entrance to the Brownstone Hotel)-beneath the circular light fixture.

www.gettyimages.com

gsv

Leo's Jolly Club has been filled in with a new wall & one square window. (the entrance to the Brownstone looks great though)

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 21, 2017 at 7:23 AM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 6:52 AM

Here's a view of a small greasy spoon called the Catalina Cafe...just around the corner on San Pedro street. (this is in the Brownstone Hotel bldg. as well)

www.gettyimages.com

gsv

The 'Catalina Cafe' was located where the twin white door are now.

__

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 6:58 AM

Ok, lets back up now, and return to E. 5th st.

Here's a good view of the Panama Hotel. (note the 'Parker House' set back from the street)

gettyimage / gsv

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 7:01 AM

Ok, let's back up just a bit and try to get a better look at the Parker House. (it's still difficult to see with the small barber shop & locksmith in front of it)

gettyimage / gsv

Today it's just an empty lot.
_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 21, 2017 at 7:26 AM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 7:06 AM

On the left in the image below, we catch a glimpse of the Golden West Hotel.

gettyimage / gsv

The Golden West is still the Golden West....but the 'Donor Center' (for blood?) next door has been filled in with a new wall (and door).

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 21, 2017 at 10:33 PM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 7:10 AM

Sorry these are all in separate posts. I kept thinking I was going to quit, but I got on a roll and couldn't stop.

And here's my favorite noirish place on this stretch of E. 5th street....Al's Cocktail Lounge (but Leo's Jolly Club is a close second)

I couldn't figure out where Al's fits in today's streetscape.

Soooo....here's the video (finally )...maybe you can help figure it out.

http://www.gettyimages.com/license/586-43

It's only 52 seconds long.

Have Fun!

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 21, 2017 at 7:28 AM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 7:59 AM
dazzle me

^ that whole one story block appears to have been replaced by that church complex thing. https://goo.gl/maps/iQSpwm13r4K2

man though, going through this thread is very depressing.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 8:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
^ that whole one story block appears to have been replaced by that church complex thing. https://goo.gl/maps/iQSpwm13r4K2

man though, going through this thread is very depressing.
Why do you find this thread depressing?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
^ that whole one story block appears to have been replaced by that church complex thing.

That's the James M Woods Center, AKA LA Mission, build by SRO Housing. Everything from west of the Golden West to the corner was pulled down.

Great film clip e_r. That porthole window at "AL'S" is just excellent.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 8:54 AM

Soooo....here's the video (finally )...maybe you can help figure it out.

http://www.gettyimages.com/license/586-43

Great video ER! Quite the scrappy cast of characters on the street (then and now!).

Here's a fine group of footballing fellows at the Huntington. Anybody recognize the team?

PDHC

PDHC

Panorama of the hotel in all its concrete glory.
Looks like maybe a Thanksgiving ceremony? Easter? There are costumes.

I grew up near the Huntington, so we swam in the pool , bought candy from the Sundries shop, and generally caroused unchecked throughout the buildings and grounds. Very lax security I can tell you.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

Thanks, E_R. KevinW's post, almost 6 years ago now, "Pershing Square over the years", has a nice history of the park, but unfortunately all of his accompanying photos are now absent. (Twenty of them!)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=2966
A couple of days ago I promised to try and find the missing images to reconstruct KevinW's post. Including the color image, there are 21 altogether, so I limited the width of the replacements to 1000px wide. Having said that, all the USC images have updated links to the zoomable versions. I know the panorama about halfway down comes out very small - I'll post a larger version of that separately. All of the text is unedited from the original post.

----------------------------------------------------

Here's a nice overview of the Square:

Pershing Square
Historic Background

The text below is excerpted from a 1993 brochure by the Los Angeles Conservancy entitled "Pershing Square Landmarks: A walking tour sponsored by the Los Angeles Conservancy." 1986, revised 1993. The original text was written by Steve Fader, and the publication of the brochure was made possible by a grant from the Community Redevelopment Agency. Do not reproduce information from this site without acknowledgement of the authors of the original document, or of the authors of this site.

For years the square was a dusty vacant parcel known as block number 15 in Ord's Survey of Los Angeles. However, in 1866, an ordinance was signed by Mayor Aguillar declaring the block "...a public square for the use and benefit of the citizens of the common." The square was designed as a formal Spanish plaza and became known as La Plaza Abaja.

Flickr

By 1887 the area around the square was becoming residential, and the new residents referred to the square as Los Angeles Park. Cypress and citrus trees were planted and a white picket fence was constructed to discourage stray livestock from entering the park.

USC Digital Library

USC Digital Library

Here's a view down Olive:

USC Digital Library

In the early 1890's, the park was renamed Central Park. It was redesigned by Fred Eaton, then a City Engineer and later Mayor. A serpentine promenade, wooden benches, new plantings, sidewalks, and a bandstand were provided.

USC Digital Library

In 1911 the park was again redesigned, this time by the noted architect John Parkinson. The design was formal and symmetrical, with European antecedents. There were classic walkways within the square, a beautiful central fountain, lush plantings, and ornamental corner balustrades. The perimeter walkways around the park, which has been an important component of the Central Park in the early 1900's were maintained by Parkinson.

USC Digital Library

The view East on Hill in 1913:

USC Digital Library

In 1918, "in a fit of Armistice Day fever," Central Park's name was changed to Pershing Square, and a statue of a dough boy was added to the corner of the park.

Here's looking up Hill in 1920:

USC Digital Library

One of the last shots of St. Paul's Episcopal Church before it was replaced by the Biltmore. I wonder what the cranes in the background are for?

USC Digital Library

Most of the buildings on or near the square were built in the 1920's and early 1930's. During this period the Square was widely known for its colorful orators, military posts, and newsstands. Even the public library set up shop here.

The Biltmore, shortly after being built:

USC Digital Library

Birdseye view of Pershing Square looking southeast from the corner of 5th Street and Olive Street, Los Angeles, ca.1926

USC Digital Library

View of Pershing Square looking west on Hill Street and 6th Street, Los Angeles, ca.1926

USC Digital Library

Tropical plantings were added to the park in 1928 by Frank Shearer, the Park Superintendent.

USC Digital Library

As early as 1928, there were suggestions to put a parking facility under Pershing Square. The intended purpose was to alleviate congestion downtown, and later, to revive the ailing Broadway Theater District.

The Title Guarantee and Trust building, which still stands, was built in 1930:

USC Digital Library

In 1938, the Philharmonic Auditorium got a Deco makeover:

USC Digital Library

In 1950-51, after two decades of pressure, the City permitted construction of an 1800-car garage under Pershing Square. The park became a roof of grass. Automobile ramps on each side cut off the park from the surrounding city, making the square into an island, difficult to approach.

USC Digital Library

USC Digital Library

[In 1994] world-renown architect Ricardo Legoretta and equally celebrated landscape architect Laurie Olin have designed the square to be a vibrant gathering place and a signature public area for downtown Los Angeles.

The redesign was financed in part through the Pershing Square Property Owners Association together with a matching grant of funds from the Community Redevelopment Agency of Los Angeles.

The following are landmark buildings around Pershing Square:

* Subway Terminal Building, 417 S. Hill, 1925, Schulz and Weaver. Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #177. Another view of the building.

When the Subway Terminal Building was built, the Los Angeles basin was serviced by over 1000 miles of Pacific Electric inter-urban railway lines. The Terminal Building was constructed over the underground portal of lines to the San Fernando Valley and the Westside. The original grand concourse was severely damaged by an office renovation in the 1950s.

The Terminal building itself is one of the few Los Angeles office blocks from the 1920's to have a granite exterior. Its design derives from a 15th century Florentine palazzo.

* Title Guarantee and Trust Building, 401 W. 5th St, 1930, Parkinson and Parkinson. Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #278; listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

This is an Art Deco building with Gothic elements. The lobby has murals by Hugo Ballin celebrating the Treaty of Cahuenga and the La Brea Tar Pits.

* Oviatt Building, 617 S. Olive St, 1927-28, Walker and Eisen. Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #195. Panorama of Olive and 6th Street, 1912, before the Oviatt.

Combining Romanesque and Art Deco design, the 13-story Oviatt Building is one of Los Angeles' most celebrated landmarks. Built by James Oviatt, it housed Alexander and Oviatt Men's store and a luxurious 2-story, 10-room penthouse apartment for Mr. Oviatt.

Oviatt, captivated by the new Art Deco style, which he had seen in Paris, commissioned Rene Lalique to design and fabricate all the decorative glass. Most of the Lalique glass filling the ceiling of the marquee lobby has been removed.

Extensive renovation and restoration of the Oviatt Building was undertaken by Los Angeles developer Ratkovitch and Bowers and architect Brenda Levin in 1976.

* Heron Building, 510 W. 6th St., 1920-21, Dodd and Richards.

The Heron Building is a 13-story Renaissance Revival building.

* Pacific Mutual Building, now known as the Pacific Center, 523 W. 6th St. Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #398.

Original building, 1908, Parkinson and Bergstrom
North Side addition, 1916, William J. Dodd
West Side addition, 1929, Parkinson and Parkinson
Moderne remodeling, 1936, Parkinson and Parkinson
Twelve-story structure, 1921, Dodd and Richards
Garage Building, 1926, Schultze and Weaver.

The Pacific Mutual building is actually three interconnected buildings built between 1908 and 1929. The building was renovated by Westgroup, Inc. in 1985.

* Biltmore Hotel, 515 S. Olive St., 1923, Schultze and Weaver. Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #60.

When opened in 1923, [the Biltmore] was the largest hotel west of Chicago, with 916 rooms. Many of the luxurious interior banquet rooms of the Biltmore were decorated by Giovanni Smeraldi, an Italian muralist. [The Biltmore's] exterior is classic Renaissance Revival.

The Biltmore has undergone two major renovations. In the mid-'70s, Phyllis Lambert and Gene Summers reversed years of decay with renovation that received a National Trust Honor Award in 1981. Westgroup, Inc bought the hotel in 1984 and did extensive renovation, as well as adding an office tower.

Compiled by Ruth Wallach, USC libraries. 10/1999.

So here are four early photos of Pershing square looking south. The first was taken around 1880, it's amazing how little was in L.A. at the time.

USC Digital Library

The next was taken just eight years later in 1888. The church at the future site of the biltmore, which was built in 1923 is now visible as are three or four other churches. I'm always amazed at the number of houses of worship in old American cities.

USC Digital Library

And now in 1909 the city was really starting to sprout up behind it.

USC Digital Library

Then just four years later in 1913.

USC Digital Library

And here's a little history about the garage underneath:

http://blogdowntown.com/2010/01/5047...re-garage-idea

and here's a nice link to the history of the Philharmonic Auditorium:

http://bigorangelandmarks.blogspot.c...uditorium.html

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 11:54 AM

Here's a better look at the panorama from the post above.

USC Digital Library

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Now something's squirrely with my photo links too. That ending is gone, but they're oddly long. I use Picasa3.

It seems that the overnight change is part of the murder of Picasa by a thousand tiny cuts....

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Jan 21, 2017 at 1:42 PM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 1:39 PM

Hoss-- Great photo-history of Pershing Square...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Ok, lets back up now, and return to E. 5th st.

Here's a good view of the Panama Hotel. (note the 'Parker House' set back from the street)

gettyimage / gsv

A little more on the Panama Hotel from post 10223:

A little noir from the LAT of 4-8-1926:

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 2:30 PM

The Parker House from ER's film clip (here): Seems that life was never very good at 409 East Fifth Street...

All LAT: 6-12-1901/3-24-1903/4-12-1921

2-1-1926/4-3-1930

The building appears to have lasted until a demo permit was issued on 11-28-1955, when the site became a parking lot.

NOTE As an experiment, I shortened (using bitly) all the hugely long links now coming from Google Photos... let me know if the images don't show up.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 3:30 PM

Thanks for that revised Pershing Square post, HossC. I'm on my way
to that very place right now, I'll need to study that post later!

_______

Last Thursday I spotted the Googlemobile for the first time in person! It was traveling south on San Vicente Blvd. and turned left when it got to Santa Monica Blvd.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 8:00 PM
BANNED

For the past 75 years the City officials of Los Angeles have done everything they could think of to totally destroy Pershing Square Park as a place friendly to human beings.

The park used to be a refreshing green oasis in the center of the city. Today in 2017 its a wasteland of concrete.

BTW....excellent post Hoss about the history of Pershing Square.......and credit to KevinW's original post and photos.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jan 21, 2017 at 10:07 PM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 8:10 PM

Just so people are aware - I didn't write the Pershing Square post, I just tracked down the missing pictures from KevinW's original post and republished it. I don't want to take credit for something I didn't do.

-----------------

We're jumping around a bit with this week's Julius Shulman posts. This is "Job 2956: Crescent Professional Building (West Hollywood, Calif.), 1960". I've omitted an image looking along the street.

Here's the rear of the building.

And now, the interior shots.

I wonder how long that desk stayed free from fingerprints!

Does anyone recognize these gentlemen?

The office in this last image is a little plainer.

All from Getty Research Institute

It's not mentioned in the title, but the description names Richard Neutra as the architect. From the outside, 8105 W 3rd Street still looks pretty much the same.

GSV

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos