Very impressive.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 8:13 PM
Round Head

Mother of God, Toronto.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
For as big as the skyline gets, we will never be satisfied.

It needs to be much, much bigger.
The density certainly is getting huge, looking at koops's renders, but there's still that blasted tentativeness to breach the mythical "supertall" barrier (other than CN, back when people around here had vision). We have proposals, but no firm results yet.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 9:23 PM
I am the law!

The koops rendering includes several development that breach the supertall barrier. Let's not confuse the current skyline with this fictitious future. Not everything rendered will be built in the next 10 years or whatever and not everything that will be built is rendered.

I don't see anything tentative about the expansion of the skyline over the past 15 years. 300 metres is just extremely tall particularly for our market and most other markets where the economics are the main focus. I'm sure Toronto is represented well on a list of the top 500/1000 residential towers by floor count.

The last thing I would want are developers to speculate on supertall monuments. Enough tax dollars have already been spent and will be spent sometime down the road to bail out real estate speculators.

Every inch of the CN Tower was required. Adding the observation decks was a practical decision too.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 10:27 PM
gettin' rich!

Everything in Toronto is economical...

Not sure if that is a good thing though.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 1:34 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

My Toronto model shows all proposals, that's all. Most other renders don't. And it doesn't matter if they are more or less likely to get built, I still include them. Developers putting out a render of a shiny new tower aren't going to bother adding in other proposals by other developers of future buildings nearby that have not yet been built. I always wished I could see developers renders as they should properly be, with all the nearby towers included, not just whichever ones the developer thought should be included. With this model I finally can. Once a proposal has been cancelled, or becomes a stale proposal, I remove it.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 2:51 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Everything in Toronto is economical...

Not sure if that is a good thing though.
We have enough real estate speculation. The last thing we want is for our governments and crown corporations to get even more involved on the development end with higheritis like with lesser governments within Asia.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 2:54 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
My Toronto model shows all proposals, that's all. Most other renders don't. And it doesn't matter if they are more or less likely to get built, I still include them. Developers putting out a render of a shiny new tower aren't going to bother adding in other proposals by other developers of future buildings nearby that have not yet been built. I always wished I could see developers renders as they should properly be, with all the nearby towers included, not just whichever ones the developer thought should be included. With this model I finally can. Once a proposal has been cancelled, or becomes a stale proposal, I remove it.
And it's great. I was just puzzled with the reference to your renderings as huge and than the flip flop to the lack of supertalls in the city.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 6:53 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
We have enough real estate speculation. The last thing we want is for our governments and crown corporations to get even more involved on the development end with higheritis like with lesser governments within Asia.
The last skyscrapers financed by the Ontario Government, at least off the top of my head are the Research Tower (MaRs) and Simcoe Place (WCIB 1996 - I think or recall - Simcoe Place was a make work project during the 90's recession)

Somcoe place didn't even get over 500 feet, although it is relatively close.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I was just puzzled with the reference to your renderings as huge and than the flip flop to the lack of supertalls in the city.
A city can have terrific density and yet lack a supertall. I don't see what's confusing about that?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 2:31 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 3:11 PM

IMO, never have liked that angle of the Edmonton skyline. It will look more impressive and more dense from literally every other angle.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 3:20 PM
Community Guy

That's the marque though due to the Fairmont Hotel MacDonald.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 4:02 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
A city can have terrific density and yet lack a supertall. I don't see what's confusing about that?
That's not at all what I said. Moving on though.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 4:16 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
The last skyscrapers financed by the Ontario Government, at least off the top of my head are the Research Tower (MaRs) and Simcoe Place (WCIB 1996 - I think or recall - Simcoe Place was a make work project during the 90's recession)

Somcoe place didn't even get over 500 feet, although it is relatively close.
All our levels of government have subsidiaries with investment funds that are deep in the real estate market. That's plenty enough. We don't need them directly developing real estate for the sake of supertalls and megatalls like the Middle East and China. Our laws don't allow us to create a slave labour force to make building so tall financially possible either.

Simcoe is before my time. I believe the government took advantage of a desperate developer by signing a long term lease well below market. MaRS received government subsidies and a bailout to fend off bankruptcy not too long ago. That's not really the same as financing the development.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2016, 8:12 PM

Burnaby's third town center Lougheed will see a lot of densification in the future. The area will see some 20 new skyscrapers of up to 70 floors in height to go up.

Lougheed is where Evergreen and Millennium Lines merge which is very visible in the rendering. Not included are around 10 towers planned on the forefront which is part of Coquitlam. In the background Brentwood and Downtown Vancouver are visible.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2016, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkd View Post
IMO, never have liked that angle of the Edmonton skyline. It will look more impressive and more dense from literally every other angle.

Me also. Dont care if the Hotel Mac is there. Give me a North, west or East view of Edmonton any day. North will hopefully be the new go to angle for Edmonton when all is said and done with this new cycle.

27394951004_90a97c0511_b by BLACK STAR III, on Flickr

Last edited by Black Star; Jul 1, 2016 at 9:42 PM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 10:09 PM

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 2:45 PM

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 2:46 PM
Community Guy

Absolutely love Telus Sky.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada