HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 9:42 PM

BIG’s 1200 Intrepid Nears Completion at the Navy Yard

http://philly.curbed.com/2016/7/14/1...ars-completion

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 9:48 PM

Kenney goes to bat for Florida developer after feds reject Family Court historic rehab
Quote:
Mayor Jim Kenney wants Washington to take another look at renovation plans for the old Family Court building after they were rejected by federal officials.

Kenney has written to U.S. Interior Secretary Sally Jewell asking to meet with her following a subsidiary agency's decision not to qualify the project for tax breaks under a historic preservation program.

The request comes as developer Peebles Corp. approaches its deadline to have permits and funding in place to convert the city-owned building at 1801 Vine St. into a hotel about two years after it was awarded the job.

The Interior Department oversees the National Park Service, which ruled in May that Peebles' plan for the 75-year-old building would "severely downgrade" the structure's historic character. That decision disqualified the project from getting support through the Federal Historic Preservation Tax Incentives program.

City officials described the renovation as a vital step toward further enlivening the Benjamin Franklin Parkway when Peebles was awarded the project in 2014 after a competitive bidding process.

The Coral Gables, Fla.-based developer's $85 million plan for the vacant Beaux-Arts court building envisioned 199 guest rooms, a 3,500-square-foot ballroom, meeting and board rooms, a spa and fitness center, and a restaurant and bar.

The bid originally called for the building to be developed as part of the Kimpton Hotel & Restaurant Group, which currently operates the Monaco and Palomar hotels here. But Kimpton spokeswoman Kristin Huxta Bradley said the company never formalized an agreement with Peebles for the property and currently has no connection to the proposal.

Peebles has until the end of November to secure its building permits and the tax credits under its deal with the city, said Philadelphia Industrial Development Corp. president John Grady.

The company is "actively pursuing all channels to secure the necessary approvals to move this project forward," Peebles spokeswoman Nicole D. Goldberg said in an e-mail.

t will be difficult to adapt what was built as a courthouse into a hotel with sufficient guest rooms without big changes to its interior layout, but those changes are keeping it from getting assistance it needs to make the project viable, he said.

"If you don't have tax credits to develop that into a hotel, I don't think it's ever becoming a hotel," Benioff said.
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...ric_rehab.html

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domodeez View Post
Girard College Founder's Hall, Ben Franklin Bridge, Wissahickon Memorial Bridge, Waterworks, Free Library Central Branch Rooftop, Eastern State Penitentiary.

Those guesses aside, I feel like the answer is something like the S.S. United States (although I know of no connection to France).
Bart's old Generating Station in Fishtown near Penn Treaty Park slash Penn Treaty Park?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Bart's old Generating Station in Fishtown near Penn Treaty Park slash Penn Treaty Park?
Would you like some asbestos flakes with your salad, sir?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Kenney goes to bat for Florida developer after feds reject Family Court historic rehab

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...ric_rehab.html
This is stupid. In my opinion, exterior preservation and interior preservation are different things. I think it should be a harder showing for interior preservation, i.e. it's not required unless there is clear evidence that a viable use can be made while satisfying it. I think there are far fewer situations where there are viable uses that can protect interior uses. So this leaves us with a bunch of beautiful but rotting old buildings that will eventually fall into such disrepair that they must be demolished.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
This is stupid. In my opinion, exterior preservation and interior preservation are different things. I think it should be a harder showing for interior preservation, i.e. it's not required unless there is clear evidence that a viable use can be made while satisfying it. I think there are far fewer situations where there are viable uses that can protect interior uses. So this leaves us with a bunch of beautiful but rotting old buildings that will eventually fall into such disrepair that they must be demolished.
Actually, I suppose this is different than a landmarked situation. Seems improper to refuse to allow a private developer to make changes to the interiors of landmarked building (and I'm not sure relevant ordinances do require interior preservation as a general matter). But I suppose it can be viewed as a fair argument to say that scarce funding from a historic preservation program should be limited to the rarer situations when both exterior and interior preservation are possible.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 1:29 PM

Quote:
For what it is worth, as nice as the exterior of the former courthouse is, the interior is even more special. The judges' chambers are especially gorgeous and should be preserved.

I don't recall what the plans were for the interior that disqualified it for the credits? Anyone recall the plans?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Scale View Post
Can you guess where this years Diner en Blanc Philadelphia (Aug. 18) will be, based on these 4 clues?

1. Site will accommodate record 5,000 diners plus tables and chairs.

2. This is the 5th anniversary of Diner en Blanc Philadelphia, and this year's event will have a connection to the originators, France, as did the first location, Logan Square on Philadelphia's Champs-Elysees.

3. Site has never been used before for Diner en Blanc Philadelphia.

4. No one (who speaks with the planning committee) has guessed the correct location YET.

Keep in mind: location must be in Philadelphia. Previous locations were Logan Square, JFK Blvd @ 30th street, South Broad, and Navy Yard. Think outside the box on this one, the location is quite clever. Be specific (for example, "out front of Memorial Hall" is a proper guess, not "Fairmount Park.") Remember NO ONE HAS GUESSED IT YET! (Most telling clue)
The Eastern State Penitentiary.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 8:05 AM

Quote:
Why should they get public money from a program for which they clearly did not meet the criteria?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKatzPhillytoParis View Post
Why should they get public money from a program for which they clearly did not meet the criteria?
edit

Last edited by Cro Burnham; Oct 12, 2016 at 9:43 PM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 11:58 AM

I'm surprised they weren't able to get the historic approval. I guess the building is in too good of shape, if it was a shell it barely matters what you do inside as long as outside is restored. Wonder who they hired to put together be application

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 4:23 PM

Isle Apartments Moving Quickly on Venice Island in Manayunk

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...-venice-island

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKatzPhillytoParis View Post
I agree having thought more about it. Restrictions on interior changes (when you are not seeking public funding) and getting public money when you can't satisfy preservation requirements the program requires are different things.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 6:19 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Scale View Post
I guess when I say NEVER BEEN GUESSED that is to say unthinkable. That is to say all the obvious choices have been guessed. That is to say think outside the box.
Woodland Cemetery; Bartrams Garden; Chamounix are my first three guesses.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 9:55 PM

Pennovation Campus is Progressing

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...is-progressing

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 12:33 PM

^ reminds me of:

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 4:12 PM

Ribbon cutting Tuesday to celebrate Center City Target store's opening

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...s_opening.html

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottydont View Post
^ reminds me of:

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 8:39 PM

Does anyone know if Love Park reno is full speed ahead? I walked by there early last week and there wasn't a single sign of activity and there didn't seem to be a ton of progress made.

Is there daily construction activity and I just caught it on a weird day, or is this thing waiting for some state $$ to hit the coffers before construction begins in earnest?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 9:22 PM

Love Park Temporary Halt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Does anyone know if Love Park reno is full speed ahead? I walked by there early last week and there wasn't a single sign of activity and there didn't seem to be a ton of progress made.

Is there daily construction activity and I just caught it on a weird day, or is this thing waiting for some state $$ to hit the coffers before construction begins in earnest?
“We just discovered some infrastructure issues that we were not aware of,” Lovell said.

She said crews discovered a water main in their way and had to do some additional soil testing when they found traces of Benzene on the site. But perhaps the biggest puzzle was figuring out how to preserve a set of curved granite steps that the Friends of Paine’s Skate Park hope to install, intact, at a new site.

“Because it was such an iconic place for skateboarders, the idea is that at some point we will work with them to replicate certain elements of the former LOVE park.”

Lovell said she expects demolition work to resume soon."

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...ucture-issues/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development