HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 1:28 PM
not a cynic

You guys do know that the downtown URD sunsets in a few more years, right? What is it, 2017? What's going to happen then? Does CCDC have to divest itself of all its holdings?

I know I'm in the minority but this is why I've maintained that the street grid should have remained intact. Public streets and parks are the only things that are truly public. The land the Grove Plaza sits could end up in private hands. Something will have to be figured out before the URD sunsets.

I've asked this question before, about the sunsetting of the URD and what happens to ownership and I've never gotten an answer. Anyone? Don?

Make it an official city park? Then we're looking at possible vagrancy problems. Give/sell the land to GBAD? I guess, then it could remain quasi-private with ownership being able to enforce trespassing law more vigorously than Parks & Rec could. What about 8th St itself? Remember when that was ceded to CCDC? Supposedly so they could keep the riff-raff out.

Last edited by boisecynic; Mar 18, 2015 at 2:04 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
And another announcement:

http://idahobusinessreview.com/2015/...fth-and-idaho/

Apartment building planned for Fifth and Idaho
Anyone have any idea how tall that might be based on units and lot size?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 6:02 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmack003 View Post
Anyone have any idea how tall that might be based on units and lot size?

i'd guess in the 6-7 floor range... retail/parking on the ground floor and 5-6 floors of residences.

the Veltex and Jefferson buildings might be a good example. they're both built on similarly sized lots... i think the jefferson has about 7 units per floor (multiple bedrooms), so this proposal might be of a similar size.

that's just a wild guess, tho. would love to see it taller on a smaller footprint to give people better view, but the trend seems to be for 6-floor buildings like the jefferson, veltex and one-nineteen.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 6:03 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
I like the Grove Plaza as it is. I even have a brick with my name on it from 31 years ago. I think redevelopment dollars could be spent better elsewhere.

i also like the vibe that the grove has now with the brick paving and trees.

however, it could use some modernizing. i like the idea of a new fountain and lighting features.

will be interesting to see the proposals, for sure.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
i also like the vibe that the grove has now with the brick paving and trees.

however, it could use some modernizing. i like the idea of a new fountain and lighting features.

will be interesting to see the proposals, for sure.
That's probably all they're doing. I wouldn't expect them to completely change the look of the whole place. Considering People like Sockeye have spent a good chunk money to have they're name permanently placed around the fountain. It'll be disappointing, and create a bad image for CCDC if they remove all of the donor bricks.
I'm really excited to see how they reprogram/redesign the fountain. I have my fingers crossed that it'll be something unique that could be set to music every once in a while.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 1:25 AM

Hello everyone,

Sorry to barge in from such a long absence...but...I came across COMPASS updated population estimates for 2015 thought to share.

223,670 Boise
91,310 Meridian
89,210 Nampa
51,880 Caldwell
24,600 Eagle
17,320 Kuna
12,060 Garden City
7,930 Star
7,100 Middleton

438,660 Ada
207, 790 Canyon

646,450 Partial Metro Total

Good to see Boiseairport carry the ball with the new development thread first page.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 1:58 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boizean View Post
Hello everyone,

Sorry to barge in from such a long absence...but...I came across COMPASS updated population estimates for 2015 thought to share.

223,670 Boise
91,310 Meridian
89,210 Nampa
51,880 Caldwell
24,600 Eagle
17,320 Kuna
12,060 Garden City
7,930 Star
7,100 Middleton

438,660 Ada
207, 790 Canyon

646,450 Partial Metro Total

Good to see Boiseairport carry the ball with the new development thread first page.
Boizean!! Don't be sorry, it's great to see you post again. How have you been?:

Thanks for sharing, I hadn't seen the latest COMPASS numbers. Lot's of exciting times ahead for our city, with the way we're growing.

Last edited by BoiseAirport; Mar 19, 2015 at 2:47 AM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 4:37 AM

Welcome back Boizean, it's been a LONG time!

It's amazing how fast our beautiful city is growing! From what I can tell by looking at the US Census website: We're catching up to Portland Pretty quickly. Although it'll take a few decades.

2013 Estimates:

Denver, CO:

Portland, OR:

Salt Lake City, UT:

Last edited by Hawk; Mar 19, 2015 at 5:16 AM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 6:43 AM

Harris Ranch developer plans 173 homes in the Foothills

The first several dozen houses could be built next summer, but people who live downhill are hoping for a change of heart

By SVEN BERG

sberg@idahostatesman.com March 19, 2015

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2015/0...#storylink=cpy

Good article about a previous discussion.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 12:42 AM

Wow! Crazy to see Meridian on the verge of breaking 100k. When I used to go to Meridian Speedway with my grandparents in the early 90s there was only around 10,000 people in the city. While that was 20-25 years ago that is still a ton of growth.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 2:14 AM

I remember the good ol' days when I was a young one riding in the back of my grandparent's car, driving through all the farms on the outskirts of Boise. It seemed to take forever to get to Meridian, or Eagle. Now, that whole area is almost all developed. It's amazing how fast the Treasure Valley has grown in the past 25 years.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
Boizean!! Don't be sorry, it's great to see you post again. How have you been?
Thanks. I’ve been good though I haven't been working in Boise for a few years now.

Looks like lots happening again. This is real good news since so many of those earlier projects have been buried under the dust. See I have much to catch up on.

I'll try to check back in and post more often using all those smilies I so like to use.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 3:12 AM

The fate of CCDC's owned parcels is a question mark -- even though it sunsets in 2017, CCDC has wormed its way into new neighborhoods so it can survive. But in the core? Who knows. The good thing is that a bunch of tax dollars will flow back to schools and police and fire. I'd guess a deal is worked out for the city or DBA to takeover ownership of 8th Street & the Grove.

One note about City Center Plaza - the "neon sign" idea has been abandoned. Instead a lighted "stream" concept will be used... no water, but it will look like a stream with colored concrete and lights.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 4:47 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
http://idahobusinessreview.com/2015/...he-hotel-ring/

In Boise, a hotel mini-boom is in the works
With a ~100-room concept, this sounds like a slightly reduced-scale version of their 8th and River 150-room hotel proposal (same height, smaller footprint?).

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 1:51 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
With a ~100-room concept, this sounds like a slightly reduced-scale version of their 8th and River 150-room hotel proposal (same height, smaller footprint?).

that's possible.

however, i don't think their proposal will fit the needs of the convention center.

per the article:

Quote:
But Pat Rice, executive director of the Boise Centre, noted that while the new hotels will serve business travelers well, they won’t necessarily help the Boise Centre book more conferences.

“(These two new hotels are) not what we need to book larger conferences,” said Rice. He’s looking for a hotel with about 400 rooms to go on what is called Parcel B, a dirt parking lot just west of the JUMP construction site downtown.

if Gardner had the means to build a 400-room hotel, i'd love to see them to it, but not on Parcel B. i don't think the city would want guests walking across front street to reach the convention center, unless they include a pedestrian bridge as part of the proposal.

the surface parking lot north of front between 10th and 11th would be a better location.

i wonder if Gardner is working with Clay Carley to build something on his front and 5th space? that would be even better.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 1:53 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDay View Post

One note about City Center Plaza - the "neon sign" idea has been abandoned. Instead a lighted "stream" concept will be used... no water, but it will look like a stream with colored concrete and lights.

that's kind of too bad. i know Boise has been looking for a place for those old neon signs for quite some time.

hopefully the new concept will be cool. that tunnel between the grove and capitol will definitely need some light.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 8:41 PM
Always running Late

I think what boise Centre needs to do is incorporate a hotel into their expansion.. it would make the convention center very attractive to be able to have guest staying ON site…
Maybe see if someone would invest in adding a tower or double towers above the existing centre.. that location is prime for a 300 ft high-rise anyway...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 10:47 PM
Closed account

Video of City Center construction

1st day of spring, and work ramping up

https://youtu.be/sp0tCYzVksU

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 11:17 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
that's possible.

however, i don't think their proposal will fit the needs of the convention center.

per the article:

if Gardner had the means to build a 400-room hotel, i'd love to see them to it, but not on Parcel B. i don't think the city would want guests walking across front street to reach the convention center, unless they include a pedestrian bridge as part of the proposal.

the surface parking lot north of front between 10th and 11th would be a better location.

i wonder if Gardner is working with Clay Carley to build something on his front and 5th space? that would be even better.
Front between 5th & 6th looks like the perfect size lot (1/2 city block) for Gardner's hotel. It is north of all the traffic on Front and Myrtle and easy walking distance to City Center and the Convention Center.

Google Maps

Last edited by Architecture Buff; Mar 21, 2015 at 9:38 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 12:47 AM
Always running Late

Quote:
Welcome back Boiseguy, we haven't heard from you for a while!

I also think a new tower or two above the existing centre is a great idea. The people in The Aspen probably wouldn't be very happy if their views were to be blocked, but oh well.
I've been lurking here and there…

As far as views go.. views are like money.. everyone wants it.. but nobody is entitled to it…

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West