HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 12:46 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

I love that picture
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 1:24 AM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisecynic View Post

EDIT: Crap, I screwed up a bit, that lot is bigger, to the right than what I circled.
yeah.. the entire area of this project goes from where your origional circle is.. and extends to the end of the word "here"... it will look like a massive complex...

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 1:32 AM
Earthling

Thanks everybody, for the clarification on the location. That area certainly appears to be the natural progression towards extending DT density/vibrancy. From that perspective, I percieve it as even more of a vital/exciting project than I imagined.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 1:37 AM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftopolis View Post
Thanks everybody, for the clarification on the location. That area certainly appears to be the natural progression towards extending DT density/vibrancy. From that perspective, I percieve it as even more of a vital/exciting project than I imagined.
well a hotel convention center combo is slated to be in the adjacent two block vacant chunk of land from the end of the word "here", to the end of the word "west".. and everything west of there is between a freeway wishbone that spits into couplets...
That whole area is expected to take shape.... essentially being 6 blocks!

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 1:39 AM

In fact, its across the street from the BoDo area, which is a vibrant district of shopping including a movie theater, restaurants, condos, a hotel... it is in the perfect location to extend downtown. Add in the plans for the area south of BoDO and the future Jack's Place, and the plans west of it, this project could serve as a catalyst for a major boom in Downtown's development.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 1:41 AM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco(bsu) Fan View Post
In fact, its across the street from the BoDo area, which is a vibrant district of shopping including a movie theater, restaurants, condos, a hotel... it is in the perfect location to extend downtown. Add in the plans for the area south of BoDO and the future Jack's Place, and the plans west of it, this project could serve as a catalyst for a major boom in Downtown's development.
I think you could be right.. It could certainly be a catalyst for the library blocks beginning construction.. that essentially will be another 6 block developement south of this project.. that will encompass more retail extending down 8th street, as well as a new library and residential...

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 1:50 AM

Not just the Library blocks either. The company that purchased the old Boise Cascade building also owns all of the surface parking that surrounds it. I've read here that they also have some interesting plans for their land. I think that DT Boise will absolutely boom once the economy starts to turn around.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 1:52 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco(bsu) Fan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
I think you could be right.. It could certainly be a catalyst for the library blocks beginning construction.. that essentially will be another 6 block developement south of this project.. that will encompass more retail extending down 8th street, as well as a new library and residential...
And all of this is a quick walk or bike ride from huge city parks and the river.
Urbanity meets nature, a perfect mix for a city.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 2:11 AM

I'm really digging that aerial image of Boise

BTW, I added your icon to the thread.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 4:34 AM

I was leaving Boise a week ago (Saturday morning) and saw the rendering on the front page of the paper. I love Boise, although I think this project needs some work. I agree with boisecynic's comments. Good luck, of course I hope it turns out to be a great addition.

I thought I would add a photo of mine looking west from the 11th floor of the Hampton DT.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 5:34 AM

^^^This picture really shows why I think that this development is the perfect ending point for Broad St. rather than punching it through. Broad would end once it hit the proposed convention center anyway, which is hardly anything that your average citizen would use as a frequent destination. Without the street going through, there is sort of an exclamation point for Broad St. and Boise citizens, rather than dieing out at the convention center which will be extensively used by people from outside the area. If I was attending a convention and wasn't an urban enthusiast I would be much more drawn out into the city by this very intriguing multi-block development than I would be if there was just a typical looking street. A gap in the building creating an entrance could possibly be flanked by restaurants in the east facing section which would make clear the intended use of the property as being for the public, while continuing the visual flow of the street for pedestrians without having to accommodate suburban traffic.

Last edited by Visualize; May 30, 2009 at 5:45 AM.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 3:28 PM

The Statesman has a very favorable take on JUMP in their editorials today.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 4:48 PM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastidaho View Post
I was leaving Boise a week ago (Saturday morning) and saw the rendering on the front page of the paper. I love Boise, although I think this project needs some work. I agree with boisecynic's comments. Good luck, of course I hope it turns out to be a great addition.

I thought I would add a photo of mine looking west from the 11th floor of the Hampton DT.
sweet picture.. this s hows where it's going to be and about how tall it is going to be.. the 11th floor of the hotel would probably be about how tall the perimeter section will be... so basically looking straight across you'll see a wall of windows....

Old Posted May 31, 2009, 6:48 AM

More on Jack's place from the Statesman...

Something big, new and different is welcome relief for those pushing for a creative and vibrant future for Downtown Boise.

The Simplot family's plans to create the $100 million Jack's Urban Meeting Place in a nearly vacant four-block area between Front and Myrtle streets and 9th and 11th streets is especially good news for Downtown, because the proposed convention center one block over at 11th and 13th streets on land owned by the Greater Boise Auditorium District is indefinitely delayed.

Pat Rice, the auditorium district's general manager, said Friday Missouri hotelier John Q. Hammons has left the project for good, leaving the district and partner Oppenheimer Development in the lurch.

Meanwhile, construction on what the Simplot family calls "Boise's living room" will begin next spring and wrap up by 2012. The JUMP project will create 1,000 construction jobs and infuse millions of dollars into the city's economy while it forever changes the face of Downtown.

Tom Allen, a Downtown businessowner, architect and an outspoken critic of bland Downtown buildings, said he's excited about the Simplot family's plans.

"Anything that helps Boise grow from a large town to a small city is good as long as it's done with taste and foresight. ... The decisions we make in the urban core, those buildings will outlast us and our kids and maybe even our grandkids," said Allen, who owns the construction camera firm iBEAM.

In the past, Allen has railed against what he calls Boise's proliferation of "brown boxes" Downtown.

Even though JUMP will compete on some level with the Boise Centre on The Grove and the now-stalled convention center, it's still a boon for the city, Rice said.

For years, local business leaders have pushed for a larger convention center on a chunk of Downtown land between Front and Myrtle streets to attract larger events and regional conferences.

The site has remained empty as bond measures and private development deals have fallen apart.

"I wish we could have been first," Rice said. "I'm excited to see something of this magnitude in Downtown Boise. For too many years we've been sitting on six blocks of blight."

Ultimately, one good thing will generate more good things for Downtown Boise, Rice said.

City officials agree, saying Jack's Urban Meeting Place will help move forward plans for a Downtown walking corridor and trolley car system, and entice more businesses.

Capital City Development Corp.'s plans for the Pioneer Walkway - a pedestrian corridor linking the Boise River with the Downtown commercial district - is incorporated into JUMP, Simplot family spokesman David Cuoio said. And the project has four levels of dedicated public parking, he said.

"Although the project still must go through the city's design and permitting review, the wholesale redevelopment of more than 7 acres in the middle of Downtown should serve as a tremendous draw of people and activity that will help support the Boise streetcar, other future amenities, existing business and the city as a whole," Mayor Dave Bieter said.

An official application has not been filed with the city of Boise, although city officials say the Simplot Family Foundation has asked for the project management program to help expedite design review and other application approvals.

The project is wholly funded by the Simplot Foundation. When it's done, the Simplot family envisions Jack's Urban Meeting Place as an artsy hangout where visitors can find the unexpected around every corner.

But the project's acronym, JUMP, defines what the site will embody - jumping into something new, Cuoio said.

"We see it as being part of a community and something that will bring people together more often," Cuoio said.

"We hope it will draw people to it, and then what happens after that is up to them."

ABOUT THE 'JUMP' PROJECT

The Simplot Family Foundation plans to spend millions on an amphitheater for live events, a 4-acre park, a variety of meeting and event spaces, a sculpture garden with J.R. Simplot's antique tractors, artists' studios, retail and office spaces, and possibly the Simplot corporate headquarters. The project is an homage to potato magnate J.R. Simplot, best known to longtime residents for his mansion on the hill and his cowboy hat. He died a little more than a year ago at 99.

About the 'Jump' program

According to Simplot family spokesman David Cuoio, a typical day at Jack's Urban Meeting Place would look like:

® Arrive in the morning with plans to just hang out.

® You see an antique tractor that grabs your attention and you look at it for a few minutes.

® You get a cup of coffee and wander through some of the studios.

® You pass a sculptor working on a statue and you watch the artist for a bit then follow your nose to a cooking class in another studio.

® You grab a bite to eat in the cafeteria.

® You get sleepy, so you go stretch out on the grass in the amphitheater and take a nap.

® You are awakened a short time later by a band tuning up to play an afternoon concert.

® You stroll to one of the parking levels where you find a group listening to a lecture on physics.

® After the lecture ends, you meet some friends on the main level, get an ice cream sundae and go to the band concert.

Source: http://www.idahostatesman.com/newsup...ry/787078.html

Here is a better view of the area...

From this...

To this...

Last edited by CaliforniaKid; May 31, 2009 at 7:12 AM.

Old Posted May 31, 2009, 6:56 AM

This is a good article on JUMP in this morning's Statesman:

http://www.idahostatesman.com/newsup...ry/787078.html

I think it addresses a few concerns brought up here, and in fact looks to me like it may have been based in part on discussions here. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Kathleen Kreller is a SSP fan.

"Ultimately, one good thing will generate more good things for Downtown Boise, Rice said.

City officials agree, saying Jack's Urban Meeting Place will help move forward plans for a Downtown walking corridor and trolley car system, and entice more businesses.

Capital City Development Corp.'s plans for the Pioneer Walkway - a pedestrian corridor linking the Boise River with the Downtown commercial district - is incorporated into JUMP, Simplot family spokesman David Cuoio said. And the project has four levels of dedicated public parking, he said."

Old Posted May 31, 2009, 7:03 AM

wow, that was fast, looks like I got scooped!

Old Posted May 31, 2009, 12:05 PM
not a cynic

Quoting that Statesman article regarding proposed convention center:

Quote:
The site has remained empty as bond measures and private development deals have fallen apart.
Sure, it didn't get the onerous 2/3 majority required for long term indebtedness but the bond measure twice got around 56% of the vote, iirc. I'd hardly call that a failure. Please, Statesman, state the facts and quit sensationalizing. We are not children.

Another thing left out of that article was the City getting involved and trying to get it (new convention center) moved to the Simplot (S16 ?) lot to be closer to The Grove. Simplots wanted no part of it, now we know why, I guess.

Still, nobody has answered the question I posed 2 or 3 pages back. How will delivery services, remodeling services and taxis etc be accomodated?

Last edited by boisecynic; May 31, 2009 at 12:17 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2009, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Still, nobody has answered the question I posed 2 or 3 pages back. How will delivery services, remodeling services and taxis etc be accomodated?
Going off of the rendering provided, taxis could easily pull into and even form a small line on 9th where that drive-way is. I don't think that drive-way should be there but that would still not make this property different than any other block downtown. 11th could easily have a loading zone built into it during construction. There could also be easy accommodation of delivery and remodeling services through the use of the garage. Vehicles are still entering the property, thus movement of people and goods into and out of the buildings. This should be able to work for other forms of service too.

Last edited by Visualize; May 31, 2009 at 5:34 PM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Quoting that Statesman article regarding proposed convention center:

Sure, it didn't get the onerous 2/3 majority required for long term indebtedness but the bond measure twice got around 56% of the vote, iirc. I'd hardly call that a failure. Please, Statesman, state the facts and quit sensationalizing. We are not children.

Another thing left out of that article was the City getting involved and trying to get it (new convention center) moved to the Simplot (S16 ?) lot to be closer to The Grove. Simplots wanted no part of it, now we know why, I guess.

It bugs me too when the Statesman refers to the previous bond votes for the larger convention center as failures when over half of the Boise citizens who did vote were in favor. The failure is the N.I.M.B.Y.S. who spoke with a forked tongue and spread lies and fear about financing the new center. I also think it silly the Statesman cared to write about what the biggest NIMBY in Boise thought about this Simplot project because who cares what he and his almost cult like followers think....who really cares? I still remember how pathetic the anti convention center adds were that our doomsday friends who oppose growth put out in the local media.
The Antique Roadshow keeps bypassing Boise because our current convention center is a little too small for them. What others have bypassed us because of the same issue?

It is going to be exciting to see more detailed renderings of this new project and just how tall the highrise wall is on Front Street, I am surprised that the height of the tall buildings has not been disclosed yet.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 5:14 PM

Here is a better view of it...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West