HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > China

Old Posted Apr 12, 2006, 9:22 PM
Hong Kong

IKEA in China

IKEA leads race to cash in on China's home improvement market
By JOE McDONALD
11 April 2006

BEIJING (AP) - The restaurant at IKEA's newest store seats 700. Its lobby is a cavernous three stories high. To show off the Swedish home furnishing maker's goods, there are showrooms the size of five football fields with 77 model living rooms, kitchens and bedrooms.

The store, due to open Wednesday, is IKEA's biggest in the world after its Stockholm flagship, and shows like little else could the intense competition to cash in on China's home improvement market as millions of new home buyers set out to decorate them.

"It is only in a store of this size that we can offer what we want to offer and to differentiate ourselves from our competitors in this changing market," said Ian Duffy, IKEA's president for Asia and the Pacific.

IKEA, Home Depot Inc. of the United States, Britain's B&Q and others are looking to China to drive sales as growth slows in the United States, Europe and other markets for furniture, appliances and other trappings of home ownership.

They stand to profit from twin trends in China, both government-supported -- millions of families buying new homes and official efforts to drive economic growth by boosting consumer spending.

Estimates of the size of China's home improvement market range from $15 billion to as much as $40 billion, with growth forecast at 10 to 20 percent a year. The government says overall retail sales rose nearly 13 percent in 2005.

"The growth has been very strong between IKEA, B&Q, even local brands like Homes Orient. It's very competitive," said Anna Kalifa, head of research in Beijing for consulting firm Jones Lang LaSalle.

"Over 100 cities in China have more than 1 million people," Kalifa said. "If even a small percentage of these people are able to purchase home furnishings, it would be really promising."

The government got the trend moving in the late 1990s when, hoping to get state companies out of the business of housing their workers, it prodded families to buy homes, offering low-cost mortgages or bargain prices on older apartments.

Coupled with rising urban incomes, that set off a building boom in the late 1990s in Beijing, Shanghai and other cities, with developers putting up forests of high-rises with thousands of new apartments.

Decorating a home has become a cultural phenomenon, driving the creation of the career of Chinese interior designer and a crop of home-decor magazines with the latest in European design.

When IKEA opened its first China store in Shanghai in 1998 and a small Beijing outlet a year later, the clean, modern displays proved immediately appealing. Shoppers in Beijing whose lighting was still mostly humming overhead fluorescent tubes stripped store shelves of sleek, Swedish-designed table lamps.

B&Q, owned by Kingfisher plc, opened in Shanghai in 1999 and later expanded to Beijing. Home Depot Inc. is talking about entering the China market, possibly by buying into a Chinese company.

IKEA, which in addition to the Beijing and Shanghai outlets has a store in the southern city of Guangzhou, plans a total of 10 stores within five years, including expansion to the country's west with an outlet being built in the city of Chengdu, said Duffy.

He said the company already is scouting locations for its next Beijing outlet.

Some 80 percent of IKEA's goods sold in China are made here, which has allowed the company to cut prices by more than 50 percent in recent years, Duffy said. He said that both attracts customers and fights product piracy by making it unprofitable to copy IKEA designs.

Sales in China account for only 1-2 percent of IKEA's worldwide total, but are expected to grow by 30-50 percent a year, said Duffy.

"Fierce," was Duffy's one-word description for China's market conditions.

"It's not only fierce, it's also quick," he said. "There's a speed in China that is not evident in most countries. I think investment decisions, construction (decisions) can be taken much faster than anywhere else."

Planners for the new Beijing store interviewed 124 Chinese families about their daily lives in order to design the showroom, said its manager, Gillian Drakeford.

They paid special attention to female customers, she said.

"So we did simple things like taking the display shelves down by 10 centimeters (four inches) to make sure that most of the women could touch the products," said Drakeford, who wore IKEA's uniform of yellow shirt and blue pants.

The store is so vast that IKEA has added rest areas with benches for visitors who have shopped 'til they dropped.

"We hopefully have a fun 'day out' destination for the people of Beijing," said Drakeford. "We want people to stay in our store for at least a couple of hours."

Old Posted Jul 10, 2006, 10:40 AM
Illustrator, editor

Where do they have store right now? Hong Kong, Beijing and Shanghai?

As a Swede I must admit that I still don't understand what is so special about these Swedish furniture stores.

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Jul 10, 2006, 12:48 PM
Hong Kong

IKEA has a presence in Hong Kong right now.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2006, 8:24 AM
low life in a tall place

There are IKEA stores in Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou (that I've seen).

Old Posted Jul 19, 2006, 9:14 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky

As a Swede I must admit that I still don't understand what is so special about these Swedish furniture stores.
It's apealling cuz it's cheap and looks kinds like mid-century modern furniture with a contemperaru twist. I personally am not a fan of Ikea myself.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2006, 3:02 PM

When they complete the IKEA here in Austin maybe I will have a dorm outiffed similarly to that of a peer in China. Wierd.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2006, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzt83
It's apealling cuz it's cheap and looks kinds like mid-century modern furniture with a contemperaru twist. I personally am not a fan of Ikea myself.
me neither, but i must agree that people all around the world like IKEA, just like Walmart lol

Old Posted Aug 19, 2006, 3:08 AM

I bought my bed from IKEA recently. sort of lazy . The store is the closest one near my place.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 5:38 AM

IKEA is opening new store in Chengdu soon.
But i don't think many chinese people like to buy furniture from IKEA. maybe some young couples do.
The price of IKEA product is still too high for chinese family right now.

As we know, IKEA does focus on cheap market in North america, maybe in other districts too, people buy products from IKEA and use them for short time, when they get their own house, the main furniture is from others and much more expensive than IKEA.

But in China, IKEA just likes a symble of high and fashion. And there are lots of furniture store sailing cheap product in China. That is why IKEA onloy opens 4 store even though the market in China is huge.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2006, 2:51 PM

Hangzhou Have

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 8:00 AM
Jethro

There are four stores in mainland China, they are located in Beijing, shanghai, guangzhou, and chengdu.

IKEA Chengdu store

Store information:
Address:
No.9 Zhan Hua Road , Chengdu

Customer services phone:
Tel:+8628-85262345
Fax:+8628-85319577

Store opening hours:
Sun - Thu 10:00 - 21:00
Fri - Sat 10:00 - 22:00

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...reName=chengdu

space:http://tobeawiseman.spaces.live.com

MSN: jethrokong@hotmail.com

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 12:35 PM
Illustrator, editor

I think it is kind of cool that a company that is typical for Sweden is so wellknown in the whole world.
Even if I don't like to visit the stores I must say that I like the concept; 80% of my apartment is furnished with Ikea furniture.

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Feb 26, 2007, 10:38 AM

I am a Chinese in Beijing.I have never tried IKEA.Maybe in the near future.Who knows?
Charles Qin

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > China