HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Well the Gateway/Penn Station South would add that extra capacity... The Gateway and Bus Terminal expansion/7 Expansion are roughly the same cost. But the Gateway should have higher prority since it benefits a larger chunk of the Northeast then the bus upgrades. The last president of the LIRR wasn't to keen on giving up slots at Penn station , but she was forced out. A standard Bus can hold 60 to 70 people , while a 10 to 12 car train can hold up to 1200 to 1300 people. I don't really buy your argument that the current PABT can handle the extra capacity. Having used PABT during rush hr , its worse then Penn Station..., its slow...long lines , always an issue. Penn has issues aswell but getting the people on the train isn't one of them...its a Tunnel issue.

As for NJ Rail upgrades , we'll just milk the PA like everyone seems to be doing.

HBLR doesn't really service the Heavily congested routes in the Gold Coast which are along the higher sections. There are basic upgrades to the Rail lines that would not cost billions but boost capacity...
Penn South doesn't need to be built, it's an Amtrak wish list item that isn't justifiable from a cost standpoint. Rebuilding Penn itself to actually circulate human beings is a far sounder investment and you don't need another prime block of Manhattan land to do it.

The LIRR isn't going to give up Penn slots to anybody except MNRR because the NY state gov will literally make them do it. NJT will never see those slots.

I never argued that the current PABT could handle any additional load, quite the opposite in fact. Which is why I strongly favor building a larger modern facility at Secaucus to connect to the 7. Building a $10B+ replacement that will not have capacity to handle anticipated loads is nuts. People are moaning about another transfer but given the delay prone nature of the Lincoln tunnel approaches, the XBL, and the tremendous inefficiency of the PABT I'm not convinced there would actually be a time penalty involved.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development